Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Wow.... this is one of the dumber comments I've ever seen on P&N and THAT is saying something.

SO you are saying that brain-development (or lack thereof) has no influence on a persons behavior?!

REALLY??? :p
Once again, you latch onto something and completely miss the point.. If it has anything to do with brain development, why didn't we have this problem in the 50's to the level we have today? Did our parents, and grandparents brains develop faster back then? Nope.. Our parents and grandparents where not sheltered like the kids of today. If it truely was due to brain development, the problem would be 1000 times worse than it is. How come the majority of 18 year old's are not out killing people, as their brains are not fully developed either.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Mass shootings predate the current batch of parents/kids.

In any group of millions of people, you are going to have some crazy people, that's why you shouldn't let them buy weapons of war and open carry them around.
is that why it's getting worse? See my response to Captante above.

• Haha

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Once again, you latch onto something and completely miss the point.. If it has anything to do with brain development, why didn't we have this problem in the 50's to the level we have today? Did our parents, and grandparents brains develop faster back then? Nope.. Our parents and grandparents where not sheltered like the kids of today.

You're scary. ;)

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
It still won't prevent bad people from doing bad things. Just look at the homicide rate in Chicago. It's illegal to own handguns yet that doesn't stop all the murders that happen by them.

When bad people want to do bad things, they don't follow the rules.

If the piece of shit with the small dick who killed kids last week couldn't run down to his local gun store and buy a AR-15 he would have known where to buy it illegally?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

LOL.... :rolleyes:

arguing-with-idiots-is-like-playing-chess-with-a-pigeon-no-matter-how-good-you-are-the-bird-is-going-to-shit-on-the-board-and-strut-around-like-it-won-anyway-e3c22.png

• Haha
Reactions: soulcougher73

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
It still won't prevent bad people from doing bad things. Just look at the homicide rate in Chicago. It's illegal to own handguns yet that doesn't stop all the murders that happen by them.

Of all the cities in this country, what made you single out Chicago?

We all know the answer to this question, maybe you should think on it a bit.

Reactions: soundforbjt

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It really has nothing to do with the brain's development, but more so with society and parental upbringing because today's society/parenting shelter their kids and try to shield them from the real world, rather than teaching them reality. Many young adults are naïve and when some start to get a taste of the real world they have been sheltered from, they don't know how to handle it and snap. Good decision making comes with upbringing, and continues thru life as you make mistakes, learn from those mistakes, and mature. Heck, we have many middle aged people who still make bad decisions, some are also responsible for mass murders..

I'm a parent. I don't even know what teaching reality means. Reality is more of of a function of world view than anything. Growing up in a fearful, hateful small town in bumfuck midwest is one world view. Growing up in the heart of Portland in the midst of racial riots and a pandemic another. "Reality" is more of a function of where you live and how you perceive things and how you are taught to react to it. The "reality" of trying to parent right now a fucking nightmare. That's about as much as I can say. If no one died, went to jail or ended up in a ball of tears crying some days I'll count that as a success.

One thing I'll definitely agree is learning how to deal with failure. That's definitely a problem and it's pervasive across all generations. I'm GenX. We just burry our heads in a bottle for our problems. Boomers, the generation ahead of me just never admit failure and pretend it doesn't exist. Generations younger than me were never allowed grace in their failure and are expected to be perfect and given the opportunity to grow when they did fuck up. It's a systemic issue that is very human. Look at Russia right now. They can't even call what they are doing to Ukraine a war for fucks sake. How do you expect anyone to have a centered base of reality in that situation?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

So your 2nd post in 6 years is a racist dog whistle?

• Haha
Reactions: dank69 and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm also a parent but thank goodness both my daughters are now successful adults... I'd hate to have little kids nowadays!

As for the whole "nature vs nurture" subject, it's certainly been debated before. The simple answer is that it's both not one or the other, we are products of our environment AND of what we learn/are taught.

• Nature is what we think of as pre-wiring and is influenced by genetic inheritance and other biological factors
  • Nurture is generally taken as the influence of external factors after conception, e.g., the product of exposure, life experiences and learning on an individual.
(Simply Psychology)

And the sad reality is that some number of people are just evil through and through.

:confused:

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

The Chicago talking point again? Bet you didn't know most of the illegal guns confiscated in Chicago come from out of state where the gun laws are more lax.
Majority of Guns Used in Chicago Crimes Come From Outside Illinois: Report – NBC Chicago

Nov 17, 2019
I blame it all on video games and the shootershooterbangbang to win points mentality. Coincidentally ... what happened to hit the mainstream market in the mid 90s? Yeah, there was pinball and some shooting arcades at county and state fairs, but not in your own home, on your own PC for hours and hours on end.

• Haha

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I blame it all on video games and the shootershooterbangbang to win points mentality. Coincidentally ... what happened to hit the mainstream market in the mid 90s? Yeah, there was pinball and some shooting arcades at county and state fairs, but not in your own home, on your own PC for hours and hours on end.

You forgot the /s.

Then again this IS you so maybe not? ;)

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I'm a parent. I don't even know what teaching reality means. Reality is more of of a function of world view than anything. Growing up in a fearful, hateful small town in bumfuck midwest is one world view. Growing up in the heart of Portland in the midst of racial riots and a pandemic another. "Reality" is more of a function of where you live and how you perceive things and how you are taught to react to it. The "reality" of trying to parent right now a fucking nightmare. That's about as much as I can say. If no one died, went to jail or ended up in a ball of tears crying some days I'll count that as a success.

One thing I'll definitely agree is learning how to deal with failure. That's definitely a problem and it's pervasive across all generations. I'm GenX. We just burry our heads in a bottle for our problems. Boomers, the generation ahead of me just never admit failure and pretend it doesn't exist. Generations younger than me were never allowed grace in their failure and are expected to be perfect and given the opportunity to grow when they did fuck up. It's a systemic issue that is very human. Look at Russia right now. They can't even call what they are doing to Ukraine a war for fucks sake. How do you expect anyone to have a centered base of reality in that situation?
I am also genX, 52 years old. I have 3 children ranging from age 22 to 30 now. You don't have to live a specific place to teach your kids about reality and real life. I will give you 2 personal examples out of many.. oddly both have to do with my x wife. She is of the "lets shield them from reality" kind of parent.. We clashed often (no, that isn't why we are divorced.. there isn't enough time in the day to get into that conversation). Example 1: We where driving down the road, and came across an accident, wasn't a pretty sight, one person died.. She told the kids to look away.. I told them no.. take a long hard look so yo know what happens when you are doing stupid things and not driving safety.. She got mad, we argued, and she said they will have nightmares.. I said good. let them have nightmares for a couple weeks.. I would rather they have nightmares for a while and remember this, rather than be shielded and do something stupid one day. It will be in their minds for ever and a reminder of why you always drive safely. Guess what, my kids are alert, and drive safety, none of my kids that I know of have yet to have a ticket, or an accident.. (well, that isn't fully true, my daughter was t-boned by a person who flew out of a parking lot and didn't even look to see if anyone was coming).

The next example is similar, but it was the news.. can't remember what it was, but it was very vivid gruesome coverage (I think it was a war or conflict.. but not 100% sure) . She told them to go to their rooms, she didn't want them to see it. I said no, you watch this, you need to see what happens in the real world.. what guns/war can "really do" to people. (they are avid gamers, specially the youngest who is into first person shooters, CS, CSGO, Call of duty, etc). Same argument as above. I don't see such things as something to shy away from, I see them as teaching moments... The problem is, most parents avoid such issues and conflicts.. Which means they avoid teaching their children about reality and real life.

The war in Ukraine with Russia is reality, it's real life, and the world History is full of such examples. It doesn't matter if Russia can't call it a war.. it's a war. But it's another lesson in reality where a parent can chose to educate their children (even those that are in the middle of it), no matter what Russia's stance is on it. The world is full of dictators and manipulators who won't admit truth. That is a reality and real life that we must teach our kids. To not do so is shielding them and lying to them about the world.

As for some of your other points, it all comes down to holding kids accountable for their actions.. but our society has developed into a society that doesn't really hold most people accountable, in fact it's become a society of placing blame on someone else, and avoiding taking responsibility for your actions..

Of course this is just my opinion and how I see it. I don't believe that is has anything to do with the brain development of 18 year old's. IF it did, we would have been having such issues decades or even centuries ago with nearly all 18 year old's. But it's only been the last couple decades that it's been 18 year old's shooting up schools.

• Haha

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
As for some of your other points, it all comes down to holding kids accountable for their actions.. but our society has developed into a society that doesn't really hold most people accountable, in fact it's become a society of placing blame on someone else, and avoiding taking responsibility for your actions..

The only thing I have to say here is that our leaders and wealthy elite have rigged the system so that it doesn't apply to them. And that is getting very pervasive to our society in general. If our leaders aren't held accountable, why should we. If we look to ourselves, we need to look to our leaders first.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
The only thing I have to say here is that our leaders and wealthy elite have rigged the system so that it doesn't apply to them. And that is getting very pervasive to our society in general. If our leaders aren't held accountable, why should we. If we look to ourselves, we need to look to our leaders first.
I agree, but it goes further than that.. The laws they pass don't necessarily hold people accountable anymore.. It's no longer about accountability or responsibility, it's all about power and money..

edit: Keep in mind, we are the ones who vote these people in to lead us.. so are they really to blame, or are we to blame, as we put them there? Just a thought.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Which means they avoid teaching their children about reality and real life

The war in Ukraine with Russia is reality, it's real life

Ever notice that SOME people need to go over and take a nice deep whiff of a steaming pile of dooky just to make sure it still stinks?

;)

Yes you need to teach your kids about consequences before the world does but showing little kids live video of war to teach them about your sad "reality" sounds pretty sick to me.

EDIT: And this is why the "blocking" feature here is lame and I almost never use it .... the only one who actually gets "blocked" from content IS the blocker!

Better just to scroll past troll-posts you don't want to read.

:D

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If the piece of shit with the small dick who killed kids last week couldn't run down to his local gun store and buy a AR-15 he would have known where to buy it illegally?
Well the kid waited until he was 18, so I'd say the law of not allowing him to purchase until he is 18, actually worked.

And if he really wanted one before he was 18, he could have gotten it where all the "bad guys" go get them on the blackmarket, when he was 17 or younger.

So yeah that argument about "bad people will get guns other ways" is just as stupid as the argument to arm teachers.

We have laws against stealing, yet people still steal.
We have laws against drunk driving, yet people still drunk drive.
We have laws against murdering people, yet people still murder people.

Might as well just live in a lawless society if we just use that stupid ass logic that keeps being brought up.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It's probably getting worse because assault weapons are easy and cheap to come by and crazies thinking they'll become known if they shoot up a school. Most school shooters haven't hit the "real world" yet so I don't think it's that. It might be that kids are told way too much of they fuck up high school they'll be fucked forever, though.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
It's probably getting worse because assault weapons are easy and cheap to come by and crazies thinking they'll become known if they shoot up a school. Most school shooters haven't hit the "real world" yet so I don't think it's that. It might be that kids are told way too much of they fuck up high school they'll be fucked forever, though.
I agree on the assault weapons easy access being the main problem. But to claim most school shooters (the 18 year old's we are talking about) haven't hit the "real world" yet is Ludacris. To claim that, you are claiming that they haven't experienced failure, disappointment, hardships, etc.. They have not experienced all aspects of the real world, but they most surely have hit the "real world" and have started experiencing certain aspects of it long before the age of 18, and they will be experience more and more as they grow older. The problem is many parents do not properly prepare them for it now days, if at all. I really don't think they are shooting up schools for the fame.

• Haha

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
The Chicago and Oak Park handgun bans were overturned in 2010.

Next "but Chicago" post awaited.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

And that's a bullshit argument. The point isn't fixing things in a single action. It's a series of corrections that added together make it very difficult to purchase and slow down the purchase to allow proper diligence to be done. This is meant to stop an 18 year old that isn't otherwise plugged into a black market from strolling down to the local firearm store, stocking up and executing 20 some 10 year olds a few days/weeks later.

If you don't think that's worth a chance then fuck right off.

I most certainly think there should be improvements made to help protect our kids. Not sure why you assumed otherwise and are so hostile about it.
Of all the cities in this country, what made you single out Chicago?

We all know the answer to this question, maybe you should think on it a bit.

Homicide rates have historically been at the top of the charts there.

So your 2nd post in 6 years is a racist dog whistle?
I think you misquoted me. Theres nothing racist in my post.