Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 65 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
It's ridiculous that they'll tear down the school but won't tear down the coward police force that's actually responsible for the massacre being as bad as it was. I don't know how these little bitches in the UPD sleep at night. If I listened to little kids I could have saved being murdered and did nothing I'd probably end up swallowing my service pistol.

I'm a little surprised no one has.

Jul 27, 2020
if we've seen anything from cops in the past, they seldom think they did anything wrong at all.
Probably something to do with the way they are recruited. Either they are cold-blooded killers with no compassion for anyone or they are too green (not enough field experience). Another reason could be that shooting someone would mean too much paperwork and risk of suspension/legal consequences so they tread carefully. Or just plain cowards hiring more cowards to fill all the available positions.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
The mayor of Uvalde is pissed off. That meeting last night sounds even more emotional as more details are released.

"Col. McCraw has continued to -- whether you want to call it -- lie, leak, mislead or misstate information in order to distance his own troopers and Rangers from the response. Every briefing he leaves out the number of his own officers and Rangers that were on-scene that day," McLaughlin said.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
The vast majority of guys I was friends with at 18 that were very immature were all in much better head spaces at 25. It's a simple fact. Of course we were all middle class so that helped give us a softer landing spot. But a ton of it was getting that bit more mature. You can probably talk to Amy psychologist work a shit and they'll verify.

But I would guess that depression is much higher among GenZ then with with millennials. Doomerism is really a growing thing among that demographic.

GenZ gets to the enter the real world with:
  1. A mentally destabilizing pandemic
  2. Climate collapse right in their faces
  3. Astronomical asset prices (and the highest wealth divide in history)
  4. Russia threatening nuclear WW3
  5. A looming recession/depression
If #5 happens, #3 corrects to an extent but is still much worse than 2007-2009, and then there's still more points I didn't have to cope with when I was a young adult.

Oh and meanwhile the great USA doesn't take care of families for shit, expects both parents to be working all the time instead of raising, talking and just being present for their children so they can grow up into functional/content and even happy adults that benefits society, and wonders why we have a mental health problem.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
But I would guess that depression is much higher among GenZ then with with millennials. Doomerism is really a growing thing among that demographic.

GenZ gets to the enter the real world with:
  1. A mentally destabilizing pandemic
  2. Climate collapse right in their faces
  3. Astronomical asset prices (and the highest wealth divide in history)
  4. Russia threatening nuclear WW3
  5. A looming recession/depression
If #5 happens, #3 corrects to an extent but is still much worse than 2007-2009, and then there's still more points I didn't have to cope with when I was a young adult.

Oh and meanwhile the great USA doesn't take care of families for shit, expects both parents to be working all the time instead of raising, talking and just being present for their children so they can grow up into functional/content and even happy adults that benefits society, and wonders why we have a mental health problem.

Agree with most of the post except the bolded part. Rent never goes down. Healthcare cost never goes down. Educational cost never goes down. Which is why this is a hopelessly third world nation for such a large proportion of its citizens, where everything that's really important is becoming beyond their reach. If you can't hack it in college to get a career level job your life is most likely going to suck as an American these days. And such a joke you have to go into so much debt in this nation for the right to work for a decent living. America sucks.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
A pistol is plenty good to take on an AR-15, especially indoors. The only thing an AR-15 has over a semi-auto pistol is range. Which wasnt a factor. no excuse to be scared of an AR-15. And if they were, then they should want to ban them.

Have you ever shot both, especially over 5 yards? I'm not excusing the police behavior, but it's hard to hit shit from over 10 yards with a pistol while walking or slinking along a hallway. An AR is longer and a more stable platform to shoot from which will give greater accuracy and stability. An AR will also carry about 3 times the energy which means rather than punching a hole through a liver with a 9mm, the AR will mostly shred the liver. Getting hit with a 9mm is quite a bit more survivable, the cops probably knew that.

If you have a 9mm, try this fun trick at home. Set up an 8" steel plate target. Mark a distance off 5-7 yards from the target. Run around your house, run up to that line and hit that target, pretending that someone in a stationary position is waiting there to shoot back at you.

But again, that's exactly what they are trained to do, they are supposed to drill and qualify to do stuff like that. Pussies.

Nov 29, 2006
Have you ever shot both, especially over 5 yards? I'm not excusing the police behavior, but it's hard to hit shit from over 10 yards with a pistol while walking or slinking along a hallway. An AR is longer and a more stable platform to shoot from which will give greater accuracy and stability. An AR will also carry about 3 times the energy which means rather than punching a hole through a liver with a 9mm, the AR will mostly shred the liver. Getting hit with a 9mm is quite a bit more survivable, the cops probably knew that.

If you have a 9mm, try this fun trick at home. Set up an 8" steel plate target. Mark a distance off 5-7 yards from the target. Run around your house, run up to that line and hit that target, pretending that someone in a stationary position is waiting there to shoot back at you.

But again, that's exactly what they are trained to do, they are supposed to drill and qualify to do stuff like that. Pussies.

I agree. For me to do that would be very hard as i don't shoot much. But as you said cops drill for this and shoot often. Pussies is right.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

There really isn't a "safe" bullet to walk in front of. Even .22 is quite deadly. The police's excuses are pretty bullshit.

If they didn't have good training with their 9mm, which is std issue for police and military sidearms worldwide..., they should have had shotguns in their cars.

Last thing to consider is follow up shots. With training, pistols are very fast and accurate.

They had enough firepower. They lacked will.

9mm vs .223 vs 12 ga buckshot vs meat..

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If the police are afraid of semi automatic weapons, those weapons should be banned. Period. But of course that won't happen. The gun lobby (of which the police community is likely a member) won't let that happen. They don't want to feel emaciated with only pistols during off-duty hours.
Police forces need to publicly speak out against the AR-15 and other semi-auto rifles.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The mayor of Uvalde is pissed off. That meeting last night sounds even more emotional as more details are released.

"Col. McCraw has continued to -- whether you want to call it -- lie, leak, mislead or misstate information in order to distance his own troopers and Rangers from the response. Every briefing he leaves out the number of his own officers and Rangers that were on-scene that day," McLaughlin said.
This is the same guy who yelled at Beto O'Rourke for speaking out at a presser. Turns out Beto was correct.
Who is Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin, the politician who yelled at Beto O'Rourke (yahoo.com)

Reactions: iRONic

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Police forces need to publicly speak out against the AR-15 and other semi-auto rifles.
They don't want to give up their firearms. All the regulations I've seen contain an exemption for law enforcement. If they push too hard, there's a chance those exemptions might disappear.

Reactions: Brovane

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
They don't want to give up their firearms. All the regulations I've seen contain an exemption for law enforcement. If they push too hard, there's a chance those exemptions might disappear.
A lot of good that did these school kids...

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I look forward to them applying the same standard to all constitutionally covered rights.

Abortions weren't illegal in the US until the 1880s. I'm sure they will be consistent and let the same standard of "tradition" and deference to the founders control.

Lol who am I kidding.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yep, overturning 100 year old law because conservative 21st century creative reimagination of the 2nd amendment trumps all other laws and precedent.

Worse Thomas seems to say that only the history they think is important should be considered against his test. In other words they will continue making up whatever justifications they please for the outcomes they want. Seems like a real problem to have such an all powerful body operating so far outside the ability of the electorate to control.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Worse Thomas seems to say that only the history they think is important should be considered against his test. In other words they will continue making up whatever justifications they please for the outcomes they want. Seems like a real problem to have such an all powerful body operating so far outside the ability of the electorate to control.
Yeah, this Divine Court supermajority has taken the gloves off and fully admitted that they'll make up whatever excuses they need to rule in favor of their political and religious beliefs, regardless of the law or precedent.