Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 35 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
But good news, no Texas police officers were injured!

That press release makes me think of the episode of The Office (UK version) where David Brent tells everyone the merger means good news and bad news - most of them are going to be fired, but 'the good news is, I'm getting a promotion'

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Jules is compensating for something….

Going out-of-my-way to be fair, I suspect that sort of thing is the same reason why I have multiple digital music players, and multiple pairs of headphones, despite only having one pair of ears. Some people get obsessive about collecting things, for whatever reason.

That's why, in my opinion, gun-control is partly about preventing people picking a potentially lethal object to get fixated on. If you don't "hold the line" by restricting availability of guns from the start, people with a tendency to get obsessive about collecting things will get obsessive about collecting firearms, and you will end up with a gun-lobby that makes it hard to introduce new restrictions. If guns aren't available those folk will pick something non-lethal to fixate on.

And I also suspect that when people own a large number of them, and start to obsess over them, it creates its own temptation to use them. That guy who shot all those people at that music festival (using bump-stocks) seemed maybe to have a bit of that going on (IIRC he had a preposterously vast collection of guns).

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
And I also suspect that when people own a large number of them, and start to obsess over them, it creates its own temptation to use them. That guy who shot all those people at that music festival (using bump-stocks) seemed maybe to have a bit of that going on (IIRC he had a preposterously vast collection of guns).
Like sure, existing owners hard to prevent them when something snaps. But these recent ones all could have been prevented with gun regulations instead of them using them 3 days after getting them. And if they didn’t snap they’d be owner of multiple firearms and just do a Pulse nightclub incident later in life.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Going out-of-my-way to be fair, I suspect that sort of thing is the same reason why I have multiple digital music players, and multiple pairs of headphones, despite only having one pair of ears. Some people get obsessive about collecting things, for whatever reason.

That's why, in my opinion, gun-control is partly about preventing people picking a potentially lethal object to get fixated on. If you don't "hold the line" by restricting availability of guns from the start, people with a tendency to get obsessive about collecting things will get obsessive about collecting firearms, and you will end up with a gun-lobby that makes it hard to introduce new restrictions. If guns aren't available those folk will pick something non-lethal to fixate on.

Also if you get pissed off enough at your wife/husband it's really convenient to arrange for an "instant-divorce" NRA style.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006
Exactly. An off duty Border guard getting a haircut was perfectly aware of the dangers as well, he just wasn't a coward. He had zero armor and no cover, took down the shooter with the barbers shotgun and determined aggression.
Is that true? If so, this guy is a hero every cop should aspire to.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Those who think that we need guns to take back our government or protect ourselves from our government have to be really dumb. Do they not see the funding and military equipment our police have been getting?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
All? Exactly how many guns do you have?

And why? You can only fire one at a time.
I work multiple people that own over 50 guns and have ammo for all of them. What's sad is they tend to not be the butters, at least not the worst case nutters.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This incident goes well beyond any "lack of Police-training" or "poor leadership" type excuses and well into "wtf kind of trash HUMAN-BEING stands around while kids die?" territory.

If I were the person responsible for this outcome I'd be sorely tempted to put one my precious guns right into my own mouth and eat a bullet.
Eating your own bullet for letting kids die requires shame and courage. That fat fuck has neither.

Reactions: Captante

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I work multiple people that own over 50 guns and have ammo for all of them. What's sad is they tend to not be the butters, at least not the worst case nutters.

Thing is, I could imagine, if I were American (and at least in a part of the country where gun-ownership were commonplace) I could end up owning multiple guns. Just as I at one point had half-a-dozen PCs, or had two bicycles (still miffed I had to get rid of one for lack of storage space). But as nobody here owns guns, because they are heavily-restricted, and the idea of owning one has never even occurred to me, I've never started down that road.

Some people just have the "collecting gene" or whatever it is. I assume it would kick in with something as variable and technically rich in detail as firearms.

Reactions: Captante

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Can't help but notice you've said nothing that might actually refute my point.

;)

Regardless of how you feel about the statistics it doesn't change them.

"Safer" is somewhat subjective I must admit, however you WOULD be significantly less likely to end up getting shot not owning a gun.

I don’t see any reason to argue with you about it. I’m not selling or turning in my guns so it is a moot point.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Yup looks like a leadership failure to me.

I think the term your looking for is "abdication of responsibility".

Both on part of the commander and the collective underneath him.

While this wasn't the military, its a similar command structure - orders can be ignored if they are unconscionable. The Nuremberg trials were very clear on that.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I don’t see any reason to argue with you about it. I’m not selling or turning in my guns so it is a moot point.

Also you might as well argue that smoking tobacco is healthy or that opiates are non-habit forming....

:p

Seriously "actually-responsible" and law-abiding gun owners are (mostly) NOT the problem UNTIL they start opposing common sense gun control law-changes that can potentially save lives.

There's PLENTY of room for compromise somewhere between the retarded far-right version of the "Wild West" we have going on now in many states and the far-left crazies that want to take everyone's guns away.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004

Don't know about him, but the .22 I use for squirrels isn't very effective against a bear. I also prefer to carry a pistol for backup when hunting larger animals.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
And I also suspect that when people own a large number of them, and start to obsess over them, it creates its own temptation to use them.

Interesting thought. I am starting to have internal debates as to why I have spent thousands on guns of late and can't seem to muster a serious effort to go somewhere and shoot them. I don't want to go to a range. I don't like following rules or routines. I want to go out in the wild somewhere where I can shoot in whatever manner I want without anybody looking over my shoulder. But I don't know where such a suitable place is, but I have a hunch it's a long way away from where I am. So while I like my guns I don't like trying to figure out where to go to shoot them which of course makes me kind of an idiot. So while adjusting to that fact I have yet to shake the temptation. But as for shooting other people from an itch, I'm betting everyone's life around me that urge will never happen, and I don't like losing a bet much less letting myself down on my judge of character.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Mass shooting prevented in Charleston West Virginia.

Cool! That’s the world I want to live in where at a party people start shooting each other and I get to have fun figuring out who won and who is the good guy.

Delusional gun nutters.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Not sure why that's in this thread. There's already a thread on it, no?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Another solution would be for everyone to be implemented with a small explosive device in their brain that police could then trigger remotely

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Another solution would be for everyone to be implemented with a small explosive device in their brain that police could then trigger remotely
Wonder why gun nutters don’t insist on mining their property?

Reactions: cytg111

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

I have owned and collected various firearms for over 30 years including several Colt Single Action Army revolvers, a gun that is archaic by modern firearm standards. I also own a few Smith & Wesson revolvers and 1911 pistols, another gun that was designed over 100 years ago. Not that it’s any of your business.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Don't know about him, but the .22 I use for squirrels isn't very effective against a bear. I also prefer to carry a pistol for backup when hunting larger animals.
Be a man use your arm.. and teeth.
4XeIsrz.jpg

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
The "manly" Texan persona has always been a cover for their feelings of fear and inadequatcy.
The level of purely performative masculinity on display down here is really something else. I've never seen the like and I spent a lot of time in and around the more rural parts of the midwest.

Small penis energy has been the cause of many wars, fights, and purchases of lifted trucks.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Like someone said, is that the world you want? I thought the country improved since the wild west. Will parents now need an arsenal of weapons when they take their kids to the playground?

What happens when a black family brings weapons to the playground to protect their kids and a white family calls the police? The police roll up the scene and shoot the black family.

I bet you think I just made up a ridiculous scenario. I suggest googling Tamir Rice. I also suggest googling Jemel Roberson

Come back and tell us what you found.