Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A lesson I fear they won't learn. That is the only way we will fix the gun problem in this country. Not only Texas but the rest of the country
Yes, I was thinking the same thing, but figured in that post I'd only mention Texas. However, I'm 100% in agreement with you.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Remember what the state of Texas government actually cares about. The poor little gun manufacturers that can't get loans since their product kills kids by the thousands.

Perhaps the kids should use their Bootstraps and buy some Politicians.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Please tell me this is parody right???

No it’s for real.

57FC31A6-3DBE-4DC5-AA1C-67AAB4E4CE72.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: stargazr

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Feel free to enlighten us as to the specific alternatives you have in mind .... but only the realistic/practical ones please.

There is nothing to do. A large portion of this country has chosen to accept this sort of loss to keep their guns. No way around it. Just live your life and hope for the best.

Reactions: Zorba and Captante

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why not? One locked door stopped the police until they got the janitors keys.
What are you going to do once we get the school doors locked? Playgrounds are ripe targets for kids. Gonna close them? Will kids carry a door to the playground to protect themselves?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I hope we don't go too far off track with this tragedy because YES the police did screw up, but still the number one focus should always be on the banning of assault weapons AND the passing of other gun laws whatever they may be i.e. age limits, background checks, etc etc.
But this is NOT all about blaming the police or law enforcement, it is still all about those damn assault weapons running amuck amongst society.
We know that the NRA and senate republicans will TRY to make this tragedy all about law enforcement failure, but it is much more than THAT.
Do not let them distract you from the real problem... stay focused.

And from now on I must forever roll my eyes in disgust whenever the term "responsible gun owner" is used to describe a person, any person owning a gun. There is no such thing as a "responsible gun owner", PERIOD!
There are only gun owners waiting for tragedy to happen. The idea of Americans owning guns is a joke in itself because Americans are far too unstable to own any gun. How many deaths must we put up with involving so called "responsible.... gun... owners...." ???
You tell me. You tell me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
What are you going to do once we get the school doors locked? Playgrounds are ripe targets for kids. Gonna close them? Will kids carry a door to the playground to protect themselves?
That's silly, the door would be pretty ineffective at stopping the nut driving a large truck through the playground.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Do you believe that owning a car makes you more likely to die in a car-accident? Or that owning a dog makes the odds of being bitten substantially higher?

If so then I have some bad (and blatantly obvious) news. ;)

The numbers don't back your opinion up here in any way.... really all you do is make it difficult to take anything you post seriously with this sort of comment.

That what you were going for? :D

Well golly gee Forrest, I’ll just sell all my guns so I can be safer then…:rolleyes:

I’m really touched how everyone here is so concerned with my safety.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante and iRONic

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
The shock and outrage of this incident has exceeded the usual three days that such events cause. Sadly, at this point the only way a change to the law that requires background checks or bans assault weapons will only happen when the headlines read "Another half dozen members of Congress were shot dead today by a crazed gunman". I'm not even sure that would cause any change as some members would quickly say that is the price for living in a free country.

Reactions: soulcougher73

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
There is nothing to do. A large portion of this country has chosen to accept this sort of loss to keep their guns. No way around it. Just live your life and hope for the best.

Republicans don't want to make it any harder to access firearms and a lot of dead kids is (this time) the cost of that policy. There is also no apparent ceiling on this cost, no amount of death that could justify a change of opinion. They don't want to come out and say that though plainly because of how it sounds.

Reactions: Paratus

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Well golly gee Forrest, I’ll just sell all my guns so I can be safer then…:rolleyes:

I’m really touched how everyone here is so concerned with my safety.

Can't help but notice you've said nothing that might actually refute my point.

;)

Regardless of how you feel about the statistics it doesn't change them.

"Safer" is somewhat subjective I must admit, however you WOULD be significantly less likely to end up getting shot not owning a gun.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
At least the good guys with guns didn’t sustain any life threatening injuries.

Please respect our privacy in this difficult time of us totally fucking up the basic premise of our jobs until the Rangers issue their bullshit report that we will hide behind.

It should be a trivial matter to release the relevant communications and body cam footage so we can see for ourselves.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
The shock and outrage of this incident has exceeded the usual three days that such events cause. Sadly, at this point the only way a change to the law that requires background checks or bans assault weapons will only happen when the headlines read "Another half dozen members of Congress were shot dead today by a crazed gunman". I'm not even sure that would cause any change as some members would quickly say that is the price for living in a free country.
But is the average coverage really only 3 days? Wonder if that's why Biden delayed meeting with the parents 5 days after then.

But yeah if tragedy had happen Jan 6, wonder how many repugicans still wouldn't change their minds? Oh Pence was a traitor. Oh it were only Dems. Walking into the floor of the house and recalling dead bodies that layed there wouldnt have any impact of some.

Reactions: Leeea

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Can't help but notice you've said nothing that might actually refute my point.
Exactly. He hasn't said anything in all his posts in this topic except complain how were being mean to gun nutters and MUH RIGHTS, MUH FREEDUMS.

Reactions: Linux23

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No it’s for real.

View attachment 62275
Didn't they have shields? They could have broken through the door, several of them rush in holding shields in front of them and taken out the guy. There may have been some injuries to the cops but they had body armor, and I heard shields. What more of a plan could they want? Just total wusses to loiter there with their thumbs up their asses while he murdered those kids. They are trained to go straight after perp assassins, at least in California. First guy that gets there, go straight in, period. Texas has been defrocked. All that exceptionalism and bravado? It's clearly bullshit all in all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linux23 and Zorba

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Clearly not the data he used, nor what I responded to.
  • @HomerJS swaps out mass shootings for all gun deaths.
  • @dank69 swaps out his own mass shooting data for generic crime.
Regardless of your flawed argument in selling it, the Assault Weapons Ban is symbolic rather than practical. Virginia tech, anyone? It does NOT take an AR 15 to shoot multiple people or butcher entire class rooms. It sure as hell is NOT going to be the standard weapon of choice for the streets of Chicago either. Nor the one most utilized for suicide deaths. Handguns are by far the biggest problem.

You going to try and worm your way out of that one?

Really, "demon internet"? You just want to fight for the sake of it, regardless of the fact I clearly argued (for many years now) against normal gun ownership. Swear to god, if I told you NOT to jump off a bridge you'd trip over each other to be the first one over the edge.
This is what I meant by rationalization. We didn't "swap" things. You claimed the rise in mass shootings could be explained by the rise in internet/social media. If that were true, we would see similar rises in most types of crime. I reminded you that overall crime has declined. So why does the internet increase mass shootings but not other crime? Homer just added additional data showing that the assault weapon ban correlated with an overall decrease in gun deaths as well as the decrease in mass shootings.

The point isn't to make mass shootings go away. The point is to stop making it so easy that a high-school dropout can do it on credit 4 days after his 18th birthday.