In Louisana The Government Teaches Your Kid Religion

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
No. Do you agree that you can't verify what Rob said nor can you disprove what Rob said by experiment?

Stop shifting the burden. See, it sounds dumb right.

So, you believe that design is evident even though there is nothing to judge it against?

Also, did you really just ask me to falsify something that is non falsifiable?

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Stop shifting the burden. See, it sounds dumb right.

So, you believe that design is evident even though there is nothing to judge it against?

Also, did you really just ask me to falsify something that is non falsifiable?
So you're doubling down on incompetence? I'm not asking you to falsify anything!

Why don't we end it here?

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
By all means, please prove the FSM doesn't exist beyond any reasonable doubt then.

Well, I am not sure why he said that, but simply put; there is no need for anyone to even attempt to prove anything as regards the FSM.

Why?

Because everyone knows the FSM was completely made-up as a parody to the Christian God/other gods -- this is beyond dispute. In fact, FSM'ers are atheists!! lol

However, the God of the Bible for example (or his supposed existence) has had tremendous influence the history of our world and societies, whereas the FSM has not.

This would make the comparison fair in the sense that neither has been proven, but it doesn't make the comparison equal because there is plenty of history associated with the Bible and the God of the Bible, and absolutely NONE with the FSM.

That's the reason why I laugh at the comparisons, but you all are free to keep making it, though. :)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well, I am not sure why he said that, but simply put; there is no need for anyone to even attempt to prove anything as regards the FSM.

Why?

Because everyone knows the FSM was completely made-up as a parody to the Christian God/other gods -- this is beyond dispute. In fact, FSM'ers are atheists!! lol

However, the God of the Bible for example (or his supposed existence) has had tremendous influence the history of our world and societies, whereas the FSM has not.

This would make the comparison fair in the sense that neither has been proven, but it doesn't make the comparison equal because there is plenty of history associated with the Bible and the God of the Bible, and absolutely NONE with the FSM.

That's the reason why I laugh at the comparisons, but you all are free to keep making it, though. :)

Well I mean that's literally the point of the FSM, to be purposefully ridiculous to expose the fundamental absurdity of it all.

Buckshot made a pretty silly mistake when he claimed he could disprove the FSM, because literally all the same arguments apply. That is the point after all.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Why?

You laugh because you are an idiot and the only thing you can do to protect your made up stories is to come up with some arbitrary reason why everything else is made up.

BTW many different religions and mythologies have influenced the world and some of those influences not only pre date Christianity but are also the basis for Christianity.

But you know what has had an even bigger impact on man and isn't based off of written text that's 2000 years old? Science!

Stay stupid though, it's apparently what your god wants. I mean it's not like if there was a god he wouldn't be providing you with the tools and information necessary to enlighten yourself...you know like science.

Lol!

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
You laugh because you are an idiot and the only thing you can do to protect your made up stories is to come up with some arbitrary reason why everything else is made up.

Why the personal attack?

I don't know if they are made up stories -- I don't believe they are. However, I DO know the FSM is made up, and so do you.

BTW many different religions and mythologies have influenced the world and some of those influences not only pre date Christianity but are also the basis for Christianity.

But we're talking about the FSM right?

But you know what has had an even bigger impact on man and isn't based off of written text that's 2000 years old? Science!

Who was making comparisons about what had the most impact on the world?

I KNOW there are PLENTY of religions that pre-date the Christian religion that had influence on the world -- show me where I have disputed this FACT please.

Stay stupid though, it's apparently what your god wants. I mean it's not like if there was a god he wouldn't be providing you with the tools and information necessary to enlighten yourself...you know like science.

Why the personal attacks, dude?

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Is Eskimospy the only non-believer is who has the intellectual honesty to reply to my points without the need for silly diversions and strawmen arguments?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I believe God did it, obviously. I'm not trying to avoid anything. Darwin333 made a reference to a "possible" experiment that isn't possible. None of the parameters of a glass of milk dropping from a table can be exactly reproduced. To even suggest it, to me, shows that he's never been in a lab.

Completely sealed room, no "wind" whatsoever.

Temp controlled to the .1 degree.

Exact pressure during every single drop.

"Petri dish" type glass, each of the exact scientific size down to the mm.

Robotic "drop" instrument that is calibrated within a mm tolerance.

Liquid from a single batch, and mixed if necessary before every test, so all qualities are the same.

It isn't really all that hard to take all of the variables out of the equation in this case except for gravity and you will get different results. That's why there isn't a law of Gravity.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Buckshot made a pretty silly mistake when he claimed he could disprove the FSM, because literally all the same arguments apply. That is the point after all.

I saw that. Me personally, there is no need for me to even address the FSM. You can argue the Bible or any other holy book was made up -- it becomes eventually a matter of faith or opinion since those books are so old. With the FSM, there is no opinion because its creators even admit its made up.

lol

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Random has nothing to do with it. You can't verify or refute your assertions by dropping a glass of milk because you can't reproduce the drops.

You can reproduce all the testing parameters and control for ANY changes in the conditions of the dropping of the glass of milk. The drops are caused by the energy from you lifting the glass (or it being lifted) and then gravity pulling the glass back down when let go. You can control for every variable but gravity, please correct me on what I missed.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I was stating a fact, you are indeed an idiot. You don't know if the stories in the Bible are real? Well you either believe in science or you don't. You either believe the earth was created 6000 years ago or you don't. You either believe God created man in his current form or you don't.

Hinduism is older than Christianity but somehow I don't think you believe that religion is also correct as it would contradict the Bible in some aspects.

So surely there must be something else you use to judge what to believe and what not to believe other than because you know why something was created. BTW even according to your Bible man existed before it's words were written so I'm not sure how the FSM being created recently is any sort of proof that it doesn't exist. Was Christianity accepted when it was first taught? No. So your point has no merit.

Why the personal attack?

I don't know if they are made up stories -- I don't believe they are. However, I DO know the FSM is made up, and so do you.

But we're talking about the FSM right?

Who was making comparisons about what had the most impact on the world?

I KNOW there are PLENTY of religions that pre-date the Christian religion that had influence on the world -- show me where I have disputed this FACT please.

Why the personal attacks, dude?

Stop being an idiot. The Bible is a great book to learn moral stories and to help one grow as a person or even as a clue to historical events but to use it for anything other than that and to use it to refute science is utterly retarded!

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
You can reproduce all the testing parameters and control for ANY changes in the conditions of the dropping of the glass of milk. The drops are caused by the energy from you lifting the glass (or it being lifted) and then gravity pulling the glass back down when let go. You can control for every variable but gravity, please correct me on what I missed.
You can't make an exact replica of a glass, you can't put an exact amount of anything into the glass, you can't push the glass off the table with the exact same amount of force, you can't measure the distance of your drop exactly. You can't measure anything as precisely as needed to verify or falsify Rob's claim.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Completely sealed room, no "wind" whatsoever.

Temp controlled to the .1 degree.

Exact pressure during every single drop.

"Petri dish" type glass, each of the exact scientific size down to the mm.

Robotic "drop" instrument that is calibrated within a mm tolerance.

Liquid from a single batch, and mixed if necessary before every test, so all qualities are the same.

It isn't really all that hard to take all of the variables out of the equation in this case except for gravity and you will get different results. That's why there isn't a law of Gravity.
HAHA, dude you have no clue. This kid's never been in a lab. Nothing wrong with that but this is ridiculous.

All you can do is try to get the same conditions the best you can. You can't do what you're saying.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Here are some reasons why the FSM doesn't exist.

1. Known origin via living person, we have his account of the creation of FSM.
2. Spaghetti is a man made substance.
3. NOBODY believes it exists.
4. No reasons to believe it exists.

Anybody who uses FSM in this context has proven him/herself to be a hack and not a seeker of truth. They simply cannot be trusted.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Anybody who uses FSM in this context has proven him/herself to be a hack and not a seeker of truth. They simply cannot be trusted.
Points 1, 2, and 4 apply to all known gods. On Point 3 you'll have to supply evidence.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

1. We have no known origin, just when someone first WROTE about the FSM. Those are totally different things. Saying that the FSM was 'created' at that time would be the same as saying God was created when the bible was written. Did the bible create God? If not, then this guy didn't create the FSM by writing about it.

2. All living/sentient things that exist are made by other living things, with the exception of God. All spaghetti we know that exists is made by people, with the exception of the FSM. Just as with God it doesn't exist within the same rules of causation as people do.

3. The number of people who BELIEVE something is true is entirely irrelevant to whether or not it IS true.

4. We can see the FSM influencing the world every day, he just works in mysterious ways. You can see evidence of its noodley design in all things.

Seriously, I simply cannot believe that someone who seems as invested in religion as you are has never realized that trying to disprove another 'God' is an entirely silly and pointless exercise. All it does is show you to be a hypocrite who applies different standards to different 'Gods'.

How did you fall into such an easy trap?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
1. We have no known origin, just when someone first WROTE about the FSM. Those are totally different things. Saying that the FSM was 'created' at that time would be the same as saying God was created when the bible was written. Did the bible create God? If not, then this guy didn't create the FSM by writing about it.

2. All living/sentient things that exist are made by other living things, with the exception of God. All spaghetti we know that exists is made by people, with the exception of the FSM. Just as with God it doesn't exist within the same rules of causation as people do.

3. The number of people who BELIEVE something is true is entirely irrelevant to whether or not it IS true.

4. We can see the FSM influencing the world every day, he just works in mysterious ways. You can see evidence of its noodley design in all things.

Seriously, I simply cannot believe that someone who seems as invested in religion as you are has never realized that trying to disprove another 'God' is an entirely silly and pointless exercise. All it does is show you to be a hypocrite who applies different standards to different 'Gods'.

How did you fall into such an easy trap?

as for 4 he sure does. i was thinking of the FSM and wouldn't you know it!? we had spaghetti for dinner! ALL THANKS TO FSM!

his greatness has saved me from hunger.

btw good post. lol doubt he gets it though