Discussion Impeachment

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Not sure about this, but The House can merely vote to bring charges/to impeach - not to hold impeachment hearings. That is the sole purview of the Senate. All Pelosi can do is conduct "oversight" hearings, Correct? Were the Watergate hearings held in the Senate?

If thats the case, it seems Pelosi proposes to conduct those "oversight" hearings so the House won't lose control over the investigative process into Trump's illegal activities to the Senate and McConnell. She knows what will happen to the hearings in the impeachment/removal process if it is moved to the Senate.

I could see "oversight" hearings. For a long, long time. Don't vote to impeach until the evidence is out before the American people, and FFS, don't let McConnell get control over it.

No wonder Trump is trying to goad the House to vote to impeach ASAP.

This is not correct. The House can/will hold hearing about whether or not to impeach, then vote on it. After they do so the senate holds hearing on whether to convict and then votes on it. The House can hold hearing about whether or not to impeach for as long as they want.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Trump's efforts to get himself an impeachment continue unabated.

Resist all the way to prison

"Rep. Gerry Connolly threatened jail time for White House officials who are declining to comply with congressional committees' efforts to conduct oversight of President Donald Trump's administration."

Traitors and criminals avoiding oversight like roaches fleeing from daylight, just another day in the illegitimate criminal enterprise called the Trump admin. Start throwing people in jail!

I hope Connolly realizes that he's just crossed the Rubicon.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
This is not correct. The House can/will hold hearing about whether or not to impeach, then vote on it. After they do so the senate holds hearing on whether to convict and then votes on it. The House can hold hearing about whether or not to impeach for as long as they want.

Also important is "The House of Representatives shall choose their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment" which I posted recently. Their rules, their absolute right in which no one else has a say.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Trump wants an impeachment as soon as possible so it'll be over when it hits the Senate and then he'll have a year to let people forget about it and he can campaign that Democrats just want him gone because they lost in 2016, and it will work on the weak-minded.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Coming as a surprise to no one, prosecutors on Mueller's team confirm that had Trump not been the president they would have recommended criminal charges for obstruction of justice.

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2019/04/26/mueller-prosecutors-trump-did-obstruct-justice/

Privately, the two prosecutors, who were then employed in the special counsel’s office, told other Justice Department officials that had it not been for the unique nature of the case—the investigation of a sitting president of the United States, and one who tried to use the powers of his office to thwart and even close down the special counsel’s investigation—they would have advocated that he face federal criminal charges. I learned of the conclusions of the two former Mueller prosecutors not by any leak, either from them personally or from the office of special counsel. Rather, the two prosecutors disclosed this information in then-confidential conversations with two other federal law enforcement officials, who subsequently recounted what they were told to me.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
This works for politics as well as motion- For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I agree, except for perhaps the "equal" part. Political cause and effect sometimes involves a lot less parity. Enough that I try not to apply scientific principles to the behavior of people who resent science (not to mention common decency) as much as republicans do.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Coming as a surprise to no one, prosecutors on Mueller's team confirm that had Trump not been the president they would have recommended criminal charges for obstruction of justice.

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2019/04/26/mueller-prosecutors-trump-did-obstruct-justice/

"One person who spoke to me reported grappling with the issue of what could be considered a breach of their colleagues’ confidence. But in part because of what they regarded as Attorney General Barr’s misrepresentations of the Mueller report, they believed it was important for the public and Congress to know what Mueller’s prosecutors had themselves privately concluded: that a charge of obstruction of justice was indeed merited by Trump’s actions in the Flynn matter. "

Trump fluffers are in denial about Barr's role, so I do enjoy seeing bits like that. One more goon to impeach.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I agree, except for perhaps the "equal" part. Political cause and effect sometimes involves a less a lot less parity. Enough that I try not to apply scientific principles to the behavior of people who resent science (and common sense) as much as republicans do.

Correct, one half of gravity doesn't say "Well that object in motion is working in my best interest, so instead of doing my job and holding it accountable I'm just going to slink over into the corner and pretend I'm not even here".

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I agree, except for perhaps the "equal" part. Political cause and effect sometimes involves a less a lot less parity. Enough that I try not to apply scientific principles to the behavior of people who resent science (and common sense) as much as republicans do.

Politics isn't exact or equal but the overall principle still applies I think. The more Trump fires off his mouth the more ammo he feeds his opposition. When it comes to actual accountability Trump is not his own friend.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
"One person who spoke to me reported grappling with the issue of what could be considered a breach of their colleagues’ confidence. But in part because of what they regarded as Attorney General Barr’s misrepresentations of the Mueller report, they believed it was important for the public and Congress to know what Mueller’s prosecutors had themselves privately concluded: that a charge of obstruction of justice was indeed merited by Trump’s actions in the Flynn matter. "

Trump fluffers are in denial about Barr's role, so I do enjoy seeing bits like that. One more goon to impeach.

In a world where people put their party before their country the revelation that federal prosecutors concluded that the president had committed one or more felonies using the powers of his office would lead to his removal.

Sadly, we live in a nation where the Republican Party exists. Party before country.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The President can claim presidential Privilege and just not answer any questions. He can also stop Congress from asking any members of his staff about anything he discussed. It is hard to get through that.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The President can claim presidential Privilege and just not answer any questions. He can also stop Congress from asking any members of his staff about anything he discussed. It is hard to get through that.
We don't have an emperor yet, so no.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
He's already waived EP wrt to some staff being interviewed by Mueller and Team. Can he decide to re-invoke?

He says he's going to fight the subpoenas, particularly the one regarding Don McGahn. How does he do that without his bullshit excuse of EP?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump wants an impeachment as soon as possible so it'll be over when it hits the Senate and then he'll have a year to let people forget about it and he can campaign that Democrats just want him gone because they lost in 2016, and it will work on the weak-minded.

Congress can keep squeezing him without impeachment hearings and that's what they should do. He is unable to fight a dozen inquiries and like 20 Dem candidates for his job without looking like the lunatic he is and further cementing negative views of him with the electorate.

In this state every time he wheels back into policy its an unmitigated PR disaster where he's pushing ideas few people actually want. This is the perfect political contrast.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Congress can keep squeezing him without impeachment hearings and that's what they should do. He is unable to fight a dozen inquiries and like 20 Dem candidates for his job without looking like the lunatic he is and further cementing negative views of him with the electorate.

In this state every time he wheels back into policy its an unmitigated PR disaster where he's pushing ideas few people actually want. This is the perfect political contrast.

Trump does seem to be in a bit a spiral down behavior wise. His seething indignation over being on the hot plate for obstruction makes for some pretty counter productive tweets and rants. It's said that mention of Russian involvement for 2016 sends him into a fury. A man of his health, age and temperament simply will not last long at this rate. Going by his speech the mental decline has been happening for awhile now.

Brings a smile to my face that we could potentially be just a few buckets of chicken away from freedom, although I'd prefer it to wait until SDNY has put him behind bars for awhile.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002

My guess if that does happen trump will step down and say he is unable to do anything because of angry dems and all the maga hats will be left frothing at the mouth at the dems

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Every Democratic candidate should enter into a pact now to not attack Trump from here on out. We all know he's corrupt. We don't need to hear about it 24/7 from politicians. If the media asks about one of Trump's policy proposals, stick to "I think x would be a better policy for y reasons." If the media asks about Trump impeachment or corruption, stick to "it is up to Congress to investigate and decide that, not POTUS or POTUS candidates." Let Trump continue to hang himself on a daily basis. He does a good enough job on his own.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The rules are different for Democrats and Republicans, because Democrats are guilty and Republicans are not.

The rules are different because Strongman Trump owns & motivates the irrational GOP base. W/O him, they'll likely take a serious ass whupping in 2020.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The rules are different because Strongman Trump owns & motivates the irrational GOP base. W/O him, they'll likely take a serious ass whupping in 2020.
The rules were different for Democrats and Republicans long before Trump even got involved in the political process.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The rules were different for Democrats and Republicans long before Trump even got involved in the political process.

Definitely, the powers of the magical (R) symbol are indeed impressive. +4 legal evasion modifier! User under benefits of Higby's Hideous Hypocrisy!

Let's see how that holds up in 2020 after what the Mueller Report has told America, with it's stomach turning accounts of Trump behavior and it's 14 criminal referrals. Unfit for office is putting it lightly. Now the issue is how to protect election security efforts without his ego getting in the way. He needs another push as he hasn't grown the 20% of the country behind him, he's disgusted and angered the other 80%. Republicans have lost some gerrymandered states recently too, that will factor in. My money is on an accentuated version of 2018, where the GOP gets an additional kick to the teeth follow up after the hard right cross that gives them a whiff of toast.