Im sorry, deep dish pizza really sucks

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Deep dish is absolutely pizza......a pizza that should be and treat and eaten no more than three times a year.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

sjvA0HZ.gif

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Good deep dish is good.
Crap deep dish is crap.

Stuffed pizza is where its at if you want thick cheezy insanity.
That said, my favorites these days are coal fired thing pizzas

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Good deep dish is good.
Crap deep dish is crap.

Stuffed pizza is where its at if you want thick cheezy insanity.
That said, my favorites these days are coal fired thing pizzas
I'd like to try a coal-fired pizza one day but I haven't seen anyone around here offering them yet.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'd like to try a coal-fired pizza one day but I haven't seen anyone around here offering them yet.
How are those? Coal fires can be pretty stinky, I'm not sure I want my pizza tasting of tar and sulphur. Wood fired ovens are s bit better smelling.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
How are those? Coal fires can be pretty stinky, I'm not sure I want my pizza tasting of tar and sulphur. Wood fired ovens are s bit better smelling.
I wonder if he means charcoal and coal by mistake? Typos happen.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm sure it's coal. I see stuff like that advertised, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to bring to the table. The firebox, and oven should be completely segregated, so I don't know why the fuel source would matter. Wood or coal certainly sounds more "artisanal" though :^D

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm sure it's coal. I see stuff like that advertised, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to bring to the table. The firebox, and oven should be completely segregated, so I don't know why the fuel source would matter. Wood or coal certainly sounds more "artisanal" though :^D
Traditional wood fired pizza ovens have the fuel and the food in the same space.
1280px-Wood-fired_Pizza_Oven_at_Baronessa_Italian_Restaurant.jpg

Reactions: lxskllr
Feb 4, 2009
Traditional wood fired pizza ovens have the fuel and the food in the same space.
View attachment 15123

Pizza place near me has that exact oven
Just a different color.
Pizza is great there. Dude who owns the place is super passionate about food and appears he has studied it.

only bummer about pizza prepared in an oven like that is it doesn’t reheat well nor age well. Basically needs to be immediately eaten out of the oven. Even my 5 minute drive home is a problem.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Look you two, Pizza is a type of savory pie!!! So Deep Dish is just another variety of pizza with deeper crust. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So there!!!

Pizza is a variant of what appears in almost every culture, a flatbread. I have some buffalo mozzarella on hand which is nice for a neo-neapolitan style pizza.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
And screw you people, I just took a fougasse provencal with olives, rosemary, and a little orange peel out of the oven.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
And screw you people, I just took a fougasse provencal with olives, rosemary, and a little orange peel out of the oven.
I've got leftover Jack's pepperoni and sausage pizza with extra pepperoni added in the fridge. <stance of dominance>

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If your name is Jack and you made it, props! Otherwise... pfft!
I make a wicked deep dish pizza but the ingredients cost so much I rarely make it anymore. I never achieved much with thin crust pizza as my crusts always came out chewy instead of crisp. I think I know what to do now so may take it up again.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I make a wicked deep dish pizza but the ingredients cost so much I rarely make it anymore. I never achieved much with thin crust pizza as my crusts always came out chewy instead of crisp. I think I know what to do now so may take it up again.

Head over to Pizza making forum

Virtually all that is known about pizza can be found there. There is a "cracker crust" style that might be what you are after. I prefer a thin crust with an airy edge and NO soggy bottom. Flours matter as well as fermentation times, hydration as you likely know but they offer particulars. Right now I favor 1/4 Tipo 00 with 3/4 King Arthur Sir Galahad. I'll add enough yeast to ferment for 48 hours and that results in a nice extensible dough.

Right now I have about 200 lbs flour in my basement :D

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Beg to differ but Haggis is Scottish not Brit. But carry on.

True, but it is consumed in GB, more often in the northern parts but was a widespread culinary plague at one time. Blood pudding? BLECH!

I do like a good yorkshire pudding though, and we in the US don't know when to stop with sugar, well at least a lot of people. Sweetness should be balanced with tartness of acid like citrus and so on which those on the Great British Baking Show seem to know. I can't watch the American equivalent.