Im sorry, deep dish pizza really sucks

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
im sorry if its upsetting, really..
its something, but it isnt pizza, well maybe it is, its just weird af.
i got an uno on sale at the market, now yeah it was frozen, but..it was an uno and it was brutal, got one slice down before i gagged and
im drinking.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
yes ironwing i died about ten years ago, in truth and had an affirmation of that 2.5 years ago.
i know some philosophers argue were already dead, but whatever about them.
im not really dead am i?
were all still here.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Uno hasn't been good since ~1990. Frozen Uno was never good. Deep dish has to be made fresh.

Reactions: kage69

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
maybe youre right, i got a seafood uno in 1989 or so, couldnt finish it, it was weird.
white deep dish..
but honestly this frozen uno is so bad ..maybe its rancid?

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Deep dish pizza isn't pizza, that's its problem. If they had the sense to call it Chicago-style Italian casserole or Tomato Stew in a biscuit then it would be okay and it could be judged on its own merits. But as long as they insist upon calling it pizza when it obviously isn't pizza then its going to be viewed as the unholy abomination that it is. It's not close to being as good as real pizza and the name is like a cruel joke.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
maybe youre right, i got a seafood uno in 1989 or so, couldnt finish it, it was weird.
white deep dish..
but honestly this frozen uno is so bad ..maybe its rancid?
You ate something with a white sauce and seafood? Of course it tasted weird.

Reactions: brianmanahan

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Deep dish pizza isn't pizza, that's its problem. If they had the sense to call it Chicago-style Italian casserole or Tomato Stew in a biscuit then it would be okay and it could be judged on its own merits. But as long as they insist upon calling it pizza when it obviously isn't pizza then its going to be viewed as the unholy abomination that it is. It's not close to being as good as real pizza and the name is like a cruel joke.
I've reached the point that I only like my deep dish pizza. But any deep dish pizza is better than the red grease soaked dish towels that New Yorkers try to pass off as pizza.

<slap, slap, gauntlet dropped>

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Pan pizza (thick crust) is fine. Deep dish pizza really isn't pizza...and Uno's was never (IMO) good.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
The Hell that isn't. Just why Deep Dish isn't pizza?
You ate something with a white sauce and seafood? Of course it tasted weird.
Well you do know that Anchovies were one of the first toppings for pizza don't you. The salted fish along with cheese were use in preparing the flatbread.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
yoda it was brutal, honestly, i got 3/4 slices here.
but ironwing is right, i cant judge it on th uno
and yes the seafood pizza i got was an uno menu thing
in 89, post partum mom treated me to it
<.<

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
The Hell that isn't. Just why Deep Dish isn't pizza?

For the same reason that an ice cream cone isn't an ice cream sundae. Pizza is a dish that was invented by putting tomato sauce and toppings on a thin crispy crust. That was the first and the ONLY pizza for a thousand years. Chicago Italian casserole has been around for about 50 years and the name is clearly stolen from REAL pizza simply because it has some of the same ingredients as actual pizza. When you're talking about a 1000 year old iconic food the construction and ratios of ingredients are every bit as important as the ingredients themselves. Taking ground beef and sprinkling it on a lettuce and tomato salad with french dressing and croutons IS NOT A FREAKING HAMBURGER even if the same ingredients assembled a different way in different proportions are a hamburger. THAT is why Chicago Italian casserole is not a pizza no matter what some poseurs try to call it. Pizza is pizza and the Chicago style crap is different.

Reactions: local

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Deep-dish CAN be decent if it's dove correctly but more ofetn than not the crust just gets too doughy for a real pizza experience. And "seafood pizza", yikes!, even I won't eat that and my wife calls me a garbage disposal.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Pizza is what, crust, sauce, cheese, toppings?

Fresh pizza typically beats frozen, easily. Deep dish takes 35 minutes to cook fresh. How long did you bake it frozen? An hour?

It's typically toppings and cheese layered....sauce is on top to keep the contents from burning from the long baking time. With proper expectations going in, at least you won't be surprised...but expecting Deep Dish to be NY style is ridiculous....expecting it to be good from the freezer is a major roll of the dice.

I totally recommend avoiding it unless you are getting it fresh from a pizzeria.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i had giordano's in chicago and thought it was awesome

edit: holy crap, now they have one less than 2 hours away from me??? i might have to make a special trip one of these weekends.