I'm sick of the Government

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Dissipate
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb

I support your right to stop paying taxes, but I warn you that it will only get you into trouble with the law, and rightfully so. The U.S. gov't can't let precedents be set where U.S. citizens can simply decide not to pay taxes because of perceived injustices by the U.S. gov't.

Care to explain your reasoning behind that? :confused:

So the U.S. government can do whatever it wants but as long as it is providing 'services' you gotta pay up?

Is this a serious question? The U.S. gov't has to generate revenue from Americans that use the services that they provide; safe food supply, water supply, roads, infrastructure, etc. The gov't cannot allow U.S. citizens to simply stop paying taxes, otherwise we'd have a massive problem with funding these essential human needs.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Hell yeah, go off grid like Gene Hackman in Enemy Of The State.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005

I support your right to stop paying taxes, but I warn you that it will only get you into trouble with the law, and rightfully so. The U.S. gov't can't let precedents be set where U.S. citizens can simply decide not to pay taxes because of perceived injustices by the U.S. gov't.

So the U.S. government can do whatever it wants but as long as it is providing 'services' you gotta pay up?

Is this a serious question? The U.S. gov't has to generate revenue from Americans that use the services that they provide; safe food supply, water supply, roads, infrastructure, etc. The gov't cannot allow U.S. citizens to simply stop paying taxes, otherwise we'd have a massive problem with funding these essential human needs.

roads = gas tax
water = water bill
food? we pay for food in a grocery store

what exactly are you talking about? your taxes go to bailing out stupid companies and helping to murder other poor people.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004

So absolutely nothing the U.S. government does warrants a tax revolt of any kind? You do realize the U.S. government was founded on a tax revolt initially, correct?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: necine

roads = gas tax
water = water bill

what exactly are you talking about? your taxes go to bailing out stupid companies and helping to murder other poor people.

You need to do research. The FDA is tasked with ensuring that food that reaches grocery stores are free of contaminants. This is a very long, complicated and drawn-out process that requires billions to fund. But it's essential. Your water bill is based on water from your facet, and where do you think that water comes from? It's publicly built, run and ensured to be clean and healthy (and now includes chemicals like fluoride to strengthen teeth). I have no idea what you mean by "roads = gas tax"; the vast majority of freeways, bridges, etc. are gov't funded.

The nonsense in your final sentence doesn't deserve a response.

Oct 27, 2007
My fellow Earthicans, we enjoy so much freedom it's almost sickening. We're free to choose which hand our sex-monitoring chip is implanted in. And if we don't want to pay our taxes, why, we're free to spend a weekend with the Pain Monster.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

So absolutely nothing the U.S. government does warrants a tax revolt of any kind? You do realize the U.S. government was founded on a tax revolt initially, correct?

And you do realize that the British empire in the late 18th century and colonial America has absolutely no relevance in this discussion about the need to pay taxes for public services, correct? The British provided no services to the colonies then, while the U.S. gov't currently provides services in exponentially higher quantity. There is no way you can get around this reality; you use gov't services everyday unless you live in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and hunt for your food and boil your water.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005

roads = gas tax
water = water bill

You need to do research. The FDA is tasked with ensuring that food that reaches grocery stores are free of contaminants. This is a very long, complicated and drawn-out process that requires billions to fund. But it's essential. Your water bill is based on water from your facet, and where do you think that water comes from? It's publicly built, run and ensured to be clean and healthy (and now includes chemicals like fluoride to strengthen teeth). I have no idea what you mean by "roads = gas tax"; the vast majority of freeways, bridges, etc. are gov't funded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F...s_in_the_United_States

My water is drawn from an aquifer under the ground, and as far as I know the federal government has no hand in my water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fda#Funding

The FDA has federal funding of 2.1 billion, out of 2.5 trillion that's hardly anything.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

roads = gas tax
water = water bill

My water is drawn from an aquifer under the ground, and as far as I know the federal government has no hand in my water.

The FDA has federal funding of 2.1 billion, out of 2.5 trillion that's hardly anything.

The EPA is involved to ensure that your water is safe and usable. If it wasn't, you wouldn't have been allowed to use it.

I'm trying to figure out if you're just trolling or just very ignorant.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

roads = gas tax
water = water bill

The EPA is involved to ensure that your water is safe and usable. If it wasn't, you wouldn't have been allowed to use it.

I'm trying to figure out if you're just trolling or just very ignorant.

I must be very ignorant.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: eskimospy
I am considering not paying my taxes as a form of civil disobedience. This bailout is the straw... I don't support the bailout, iraq war, infringement on my civil liberties. I think I'm done. Thoughts?

Worked out well for this guy.

If you don't want to pay taxes in America, then move somewhere else and you won't have to. When you accept the services of the government you have implicitly agreed to taxation for it, even for things you don't support.

Trillions for greedy bankers is a 'service?'

No, your FDA-protected food supply, water supply, state parks, criminal law, etc. are a service. Get a clue kid.

Exactly. You have a moral obligation IMO to pay for the good things; the thing that can beat that is if the government does something so terribly immoral you think it outweighs it.

If the government opened Hitler style genocide camps tomorrow, maybe you would not want your dollars paying for it and pay the price.

But just thinking it's wasteful spending doesn't seem to me to make sense not to pay taxes - instead, put your efforts into improving our democracy.

Do you subscribe to several independant media outlets that help? Do you donate to groups and candidates who help?

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
What country? Country? Where? Oh, you mean that crumbling shell called America? LOL. Not to worry, mate, we have so many problems and are going downhill so fast you won't have a government to pay your taxes to!

In the meantime, pay your taxes, save your money.

Check out land in Costa Rica or Colombia or Nicaragua. :) But, you can't move when you are in JAIL. ;)

-Robert

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
You're better off to immigrate to another country than try to stop paying taxes here.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004

And you do realize that the British empire in the late 18th century and colonial America has absolutely no relevance in this discussion about the need to pay taxes for public services, correct? The British provided no services to the colonies then, while the U.S. gov't currently provides services in exponentially higher quantity. There is no way you can get around this reality; you use gov't services everyday unless you live in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and hunt for your food and boil your water.

So how do I opt out of these services as well as paying for them?

badkarma1399

Feb 21, 2007
While I agree the federal government is a colossal waste of money, civil disobedience probably won't work out too well. There are plenty of anti-tax anti IRS groups out there. Try joining one and become an activist.

Beats rotting in a jail. But hey, its what you have to deal with when we live in a near police state.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I would be much happier without the "services" of the FDA. Plenty of dangerous sh!t makes its way into our grocery stores & pharmacies as long as the FDA gets their kickbacks. Because antibiotics & other stuff that probably should be over-the-counter (and is OTC in other countries) is prescription only at best here, it is often cheaper to order it through the mail from Canada than to pay my 10% insurance co-pay to get it locally.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Actually, you can get away with not paying the "federal" income tax. Good luck with the rest of it, though.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
OP, You DO realize that very little, if any of your taxes that you will pay during your lifetime will actually go towards the principal on the loans for bailing these companies out, or the principal on the loans for iraq war, right ?

Just teach your children to teach their children to not pay federal taxes. Then you will be stickin' it to the man, right when he's paying this stuff off.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
I would join you, but the federal and state government both steal money out of my paycheck even before I get it. Clever bastards.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

This means zero without your own input.

The vast, vast majority of American draw their water from gov't-funded infrastructure. You have without a doubt used public water if you have taken a shower, brushed your teeth, etc. etc. I have no idea what aquifer you're referring to that isn't handled by gov't services.

Again, what are you talking about here? If you purchase food or drugs from the grocery/convenient store, it undeniably through some sort of gov't and/or FDA approval. Your $2.5T figure is utterly irrelevant and you can't explain otherwise.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

99% of the population literally can't avoid using gov't services, unless they totally isolate themselves in the wilderness somewhere and hunt for their own food. You don't have a choice for good reason; you're going to use gov't services whether you like it or not. And, logically, you should pay for that. Now, perhaps you could argue that you should have to pay only a certain percentage, but that could lead to all sorts of impractical legislative nightmares that would open the door to anyone with any arbitrary claim of not needing to pay a certain percentage of taxes due to their usage, unnecessarily log-jamming an already very busy legal system.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: glugglug
I would be much happier without the "services" of the FDA. Plenty of dangerous sh!t makes its way into our grocery stores & pharmacies as long as the FDA gets their kickbacks. Because antibiotics & other stuff that probably should be over-the-counter (and is OTC in other countries) is prescription only at best here, it is often cheaper to order it through the mail from Canada than to pay my 10% insurance co-pay to get it locally.

No, it isn't. And FYI, you're, uh, *clueless*, to put it nicely. :laugh:

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004

99% of the population literally can't avoid using gov't services, unless they totally isolate themselves in the wilderness somewhere and hunt for their own food. You don't have a choice for good reason; you're going to use gov't services whether you like it or not. And, logically, you should pay for that. Now, perhaps you could argue that you should have to pay only a certain percentage, but that could lead to all sorts of impractical legislative nightmares that would open the door to anyone with any arbitrary claim of not needing to pay a certain percentage of taxes due to their usage, unnecessarily log-jamming an already very busy legal system.

Why can't the government privatize these services? Trash pickup, water, social security, prescription drugs, (soon-to-be) mortgages? Is the free market incapable of handling these services? Why should my money be stolen for the services I don't use or need?

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: glugglug

Here here. All government programs become lazy with time. I'd rather trust some other organization. Personally I just do the research myself online and just confirm what I know with my doctor when I get my prescription. Sometimes I know more than he does..