I'm sick of the Government

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
I am considering not paying my taxes as a form of civil disobedience. This bailout is the straw... I don't support the bailout, iraq war, infringement on my civil liberties. I think I'm done. Thoughts?

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: necine
I am considering not paying my taxes as a form of civil disobedience. This bailout is the straw... I don't support the bailout, iraq war, infringement on my civil liberties. I think I'm done. Thoughts?

Are you self employed and if not how are you going to avoid payroll deductions?

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

Got a cabin in the woods somewhere?

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I support the idea fully, but given the police state we live in, combined with the fact that the populace consists mostly of sheep who could never grasp the concept of a revolution, I don't think you'll get very far with it.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Dissipate

I can just change my W-4 so they don't take anything out. No, I work for a company and have a small side business.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: glugglug
I support the idea fully, but given the police state we live in, combined with the fact that the populace consists mostly of sheep who could never grasp the concept of a revolution, I don't think you'll get very far with it.

x2

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Worked out well for this guy.

If you don't want to pay taxes in America, then move somewhere else and you won't have to. When you accept the services of the government you have implicitly agreed to taxation for it, even for things you don't support.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004

I can just change my W-4 so they don't take anything out. No, I work for a company and have a small side business.

You have my support. :thumbsup:

If you do it though, save up enough money to leave the country as soon as the IRS looks like it is going to crack down.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: eskimospy

If you don't want to pay taxes in America, then move somewhere else and you won't have to. When you accept the services of the government you have implicitly agreed to taxation for it, even for things you don't support.

Trillions for greedy bankers is a 'service?'

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

FYI, you can (and will) be arrested and convicted. Tax evasion is one of the easiest to prosecute. Openly admitting it on Internet forum, where the U.S. gov't can legally compel AnandTech to hand over your IP address should they have evidence you haven't paid your taxes, tells me you haven't quite thought it through.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

No, your FDA-protected food supply, water supply, state parks, criminal law, etc. are a service. Get a clue kid.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Worked for this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rich

Marc Rich (born Marc David Reich on December 18, 1934) is an international commodities trader. He created the spot market for crude oil in the 1970s [1]. He fled the United States in 1983 to live in Switzerland while being prosecuted on charges of tax evasion and illegally making oil deals with Iran during the hostage crisis.

He received a presidential pardon from United States President Bill Clinton in 2001 during Clinton's last day in office.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: winnar111
Worked for this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rich

Marc Rich (born Marc David Reich on December 18, 1934) is an international commodities trader. He created the spot market for crude oil in the 1970s [1]. He fled the United States in 1983 to live in Switzerland while being prosecuted on charges of tax evasion and illegally making oil deals with Iran during the hostage crisis.

He received a presidential pardon from United States President Bill Clinton in 2001 during Clinton's last day in office.

Haha, I like how you added in that completely irrelevant last part on Clinton. Fucking partisan trolls. :laugh:

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb

No, your FDA-protected food supply, water supply, state parks, criminal law, etc. are a service. Get a clue kid.

How's that 'criminal law' working out? Any of the CEOs of these banks or financial institutions been arrested? How many years of prison time is Paulson and Bernanke going to serve for the largest financial ripoff in history?

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005

FYI, you can (and will) be arrested and convicted. Tax evasion is one of the easiest to prosecute. Openly admitting it on Internet forum, where the U.S. gov't can legally compel AnandTech to hand over your IP address should they have evidence you haven't paid your taxes, tells me you haven't quite thought it through.

I would be writing them a letter telling them exactly why I'm not paying anymore taxes. I think I'd forward a duplicate of the letter to the local media as well.

I'm not hellbent on doing this... It only crossed my mind because the government disgusts me.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

I would be writing them a letter telling them exactly why I'm not paying anymore taxes. I think I'd forward a duplicate of the letter to the local media as well.

I'm not hellbent on doing this... It only crossed my mind because the government disgusts me.

I support your right to stop paying taxes, but I warn you that it will only get you into trouble with the law, and rightfully so. The U.S. gov't can't let precedents be set where U.S. citizens can simply decide not to pay taxes because of perceived injustices by the U.S. gov't.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

If you decide not to pay your taxes, they'll eventually get you.

N.H. tax evaders taken into custody after standoff

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004

I support your right to stop paying taxes, but I warn you that it will only get you into trouble with the law, and rightfully so. The U.S. gov't can't let precedents be set where U.S. citizens can simply decide not to pay taxes because of perceived injustices by the U.S. gov't.

Care to explain your reasoning behind that? :confused:

So the U.S. government can do whatever it wants but as long as it is providing 'services' you gotta pay up?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Do you plan on paying yourstate/local taxes.

How are you going to avoid the sales tax - drive Deleware.

Why should you not pay your taxes and force others to pick up your share?
Or are you not going to use any government services.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

Do you plan on paying yourstate/local taxes.

How are you going to avoid the sales tax - drive Deleware.

Why should you not pay your taxes and force others to pick up your share?
Or are you not going to use any government services.

I would pay my state taxes. NJ is getting out of hand too, but not in such a way that I morally oppose them.

I'd pay sales tax.

I think it's impossible not to use some government services (roads, etc.)... so maybe a better plan is to withhold the amount of money that supports our military empire, bailout, etc.