I'm not sorry, Diablo 4 looks like a hot lazy pile of Diablo3.1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I don't see anything wrong with Diablo 4 as of yet, and I am very much preordering the highest tier version. Not that I don't agree with your comments about Blizzard, OP.

Reactions: WhiteNoise

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
Loved Diablo 1 and 2. Hated 3. Very lukewarm about 4. I think that diablo 3 failed for me for three reasons: 1. The graphics were extremely flashy and I didn't like the environments nearly as much as diablo 2. 2. The real money auction house. 3. I never felt challenged or worried during normal gameplay. Everything seemed to hit like a wet noodle. I never got staggered or surrounded, or had to take cover behind walls to avoid archers or casters, etc. It was just too easy and lacked tactical elements. This made the game not scary in the slightest. I don't care what the enemies look like if how I face them is exactly the same as what I have done for every other previous enemy.

If Diablo 4 makes tactical combat important and interesting and cuts down on the extreme lightshow then I might give it a try. But I don't think that is Blizzard's plan for the game.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
  • D1 was an one of a kind dungeon crawler with a distinct goth visuals. No other game, including D2, captures that bleak gothic mood today. This isn't just nostalgia either. I played D1 again recently (5 yrs ago) and I had a blast. The atmosphere is truly like non-other.
  • D2 was massive success. Music wasn't as great as D1; but the gameplay and the loots were fully realized.
  • D3 is very much arcade-like and many D1 & D2 fans aren't a fan of D3. It was widely-criticized during development for bringing World-of-Warcraft green color palette to the Diablo franchise. I enjoyed it okay.
  • D4 I'm just not that excited. I'll definitely play it I guess just to experience it, but I miss salivating at the Blizzard titles like I used to. It still has pop-up damage numbers and I hear lots of recycled D3 soundeffects and text font. These go a looong way to make me feel like things are being rehashed to a good extent.
People say D4 has gotten dark. I think it's gotten darkER than D3, but it's not like D2 at all. I'm not asking for D2 from D4 either. But D4 just doesn't spark something in me.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
call me crazy, but i might have a little hope for D4... blizz actually hired a crew of artists to paint an entire church full of diablo art. somebody in marketing or art really gets diablo.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Also still playing Grim Dawn, a game I fully own and can play like I want to. No constant connection BS, huuuuuugely useful mods (infinite storage that offloads your bags? you betcha), great lore and it's done having achieved it's "final form". My first toon I created after backing the Kickstarter just max leveled and cleared Act 1 of Ultimate after she took a break from 2017 until now ;)

Also, it's crazy fun. And you can die if you don't play well but also wreak havoc if you get a nice build laid out.

I might take an ARPG break, but I own the D3 ultimate edition and have never even installed it. Maybe when they bundle the first DLC and have made the first few major balance changes I'll take a peak at D4, but the ladder system and seasons (lmao, did they end that latest D2 season?) holds zero, less than zero interest to me. Don't toy with me and make me feel like I have a finite time to play. My monkey brain cant resist and I don't need more stress in my life.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I'm hoping D4 is good, loved D1, played the absolute ba-jesus out of D2 and the player mod The Hell Unleashed (seriously that mod is fantastic). I have dump a TON of hours into D3 on my switch playing with my two younger boys, it is fun, but a different type of fun than the previous 2 games, the atmosphere is hot dog shit tho. It is challenging playing it on a console but I get by.

If D4 is good I have to decide how I want to play it, on my new laptop or PS5 and/or how much interest my kids will have and how they will want to play.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
A games appearance is not the issue for me.
The issue is fun. And I got bored with hack'n'slash a long time ago. Started playing V Rising and its much better cuz you have exploring and crafting and base-building. In a custom game you can make the combat as easy or challenging as you like.

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
A games appearance is not the issue for me.
The issue is fun. And I got bored with hack'n'slash a long time ago. Started playing V Rising and its much better cuz you have exploring and crafting and base-building. In a custom game you can make the combat as easy or challenging as you like.

I've enjoyed V Rising, just there isn't much of an endgame loop right now, at least for PvE. Might change with the new update next month.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Why are there so few good Diablo clones? I played both Torchlight games and enjoyed those very much. I just bought Warhammer Chaosbane for the steep price of $3 US dollars but after 30 minutes I can already tell it is sub par. Is it that hard to make more click-RPG games that are fun?

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Why are there so few good Diablo clones? I played both Torchlight games and enjoyed those very much. I just bought Warhammer Chaosbane for the steep price of $3 US dollars but after 30 minutes I can already tell it is sub par. Is it that hard to make more click-RPG games that are fun?
Have you not heard of Path of Exile?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Its actually difficult to make one thats enjoyable for long periods. Most of them have relatively simple gameplay and get boring before too long.
If look back over the years starting with DOS, the hack'n'slash genre hasn't had a whole lot of success. There's a few solid titles like Diablo and Titan Quest and about a thousand crummy little grind-fests that just start bad and get even worse. And many devs don't bother with expansions unless the game is making ridiculous money.
Oh, the Torchlight series is ok if you like cartoon graphics.

1511634678_wolfish1.gif

Plus there's only so much you can do with the gameplay. Many people have moved on to things that let you do a lot more. As an example I like V Rising because it has resourcing and crafting and base building. Its also got a genuinely interesting world to explore. Also you are a vampire and one of the caveats is you need to be very careful when exploring during the day. Supposedly you can do MP and attack other peoples bases but I haven't got in to that part.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Grim Dawn - made by the same team who made Diablo 2 and Titan's Quest. I know Path of Exile has been the popular one but I'll never not recommend Grim Dawn to anyone wanting a good single player ARPG. It has multiplayer, but it truly shines in every other aspect.

• Love
Reactions: blckgrffn

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Well, I, for one, can't wait for the early access. Downloads are live tomorrow, and EA starts on Friday. Been enjoying Season 28 on D3 right now. Still, it's likely that the servers will melt on opening day, so I'm not going to get my hopes up. Just so long as I can get my wolf pup.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Open beta starts next week. So pre-orders got a 1-week head start.

I'll definitely give the beta a shot.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I got a Closed Beta code for free from my Broadband ISP. Preload is the Wednesday before each Beta & it does update before the Beta opens.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Welp, it was fun while it lasted (all of 5 minutes before I got DC'd and stuck in a queue). Luckily, refunds are automated. Will wait for a sale.

Reactions: Ranulf

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Just after the start time I logged in, had a 4 minute wait but after creating my character (Rogue) I got hit with 2 errors for about 20 minutes. 300008 Timeout if I picked Tier 1 difficulty or 300202 if I picked Tier 2. The Tier 1 error disappeared so ended up playing on that. Made it to the main town & just after leaving I hit lvl 8 & it crashed, now it has a queue of 60 minutes so I will return to it another time.

It does play relatively well, still getting used to the dodge mechanics & its cooldown. The Zoom levels are still a bit pants, can't zoom out far enough in my view & the scenery does block your view when in dungeons. I think I will try out the Barbarian next time, I kinda want to get stuck in rather than dodge fire as a Rogue.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Welp, it was fun while it lasted (all of 5 minutes before I got DC'd and stuck in a queue). Luckily, refunds are automated. Will wait for a sale.

Maybe they'll get it working by next week for the open beta as it were. Ha, ha. Maybe.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
It is Beta after all, think ques won't be an issue?
It has nothing to do with being a beta. Launch will be exactly the same, and almost certainly worse. Everyone knew the servers would be overloaded, and will be overloaded come launch day. Blizzard certainly knows, but doesn't care. They sold as many copies as they could knowing full well that a large percentage of the players won't be able to play. It's no different than a stadium selling as many tickets as possible to an event, knowing that they sold beyond the seating capacity, and telling those unfortunate enough to not get in "too bad, now get lost."

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
It has nothing to do with being a beta. Launch will be exactly the same, and almost certainly worse. Everyone knew the servers would be overloaded, and will be overloaded come launch day. Blizzard certainly knows, but doesn't care. They sold as many copies as they could knowing full well that a large percentage of the players won't be able to play. It's no different than a stadium selling as many tickets as possible to an event, knowing that they sold beyond the seating capacity, and telling those unfortunate enough to not get in "too bad, now get lost."
It is still Beta, So how are you missing a seat prior to game day.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Been playing the beta.
Its sort of Alright... its more diablo 3 then 2 tho, with a dodge.
The servers tho... been struggling with them the entire day.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Played around some today. Right after 12:30 EST for about an hour and a second time (after a 102 minute wait in a queue) from 7:30 to 10:30 until I got disconnected. You can get in, but it takes some patience.

Never really played Diablo 3 other than the demo version which I played recently, but it feels like a darker, better version of what I saw in Diablo 3 demo. Did a couple of events with players, cleared a few dungeons, explored some, found two legendry items and ran into the:
Butcher...who behaved similarly to Diablo...just chased me around with a cleaver

edit: I messed up the spoiler tags, but it works so whatever.

Last edited: