"I'll create a GUI interface using Visual Basic, see if I can track an IP address"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Leros
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Originally posted by: Fritzo

I guess they don't teach tracert to CSI people anymore.

heck, I can go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it'll put it on a freakin' Google Map for me. Don't even need a GUI! :D

I love when ad sites try to use that method for targeting ads at me. It shows a city 200 miles away :p

Yeah. I live in a decently large city and it shows me in a small city about 70 miles away. A tracert shows that my connection does go through that small city.

yeah, it's going to go to whereever you get your bandwidth from :)

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Criminal Minds > *

Criminal Minds seems to do a decent job keeping itself within the bounds of tech capability, but without that genius guy and the ultrafast hacker chick ( who seems to have instant access to all the world's databases ) the stories would move pretty goddamn slowly.

Law and Order too does an ok job, but they do the 'enhance,enhance,enhance' shit too much and its OMG SERIOUS all the time.

NCIS - how the hell can anyone watch that?

3 words...
Cote
De
Pablo

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: sourceninja
Originally posted by: fleabag
Originally posted by: sourceninja
Originally posted by: irishScott
Originally posted by: Leros
Originally posted by: timosyy
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: speg
Why would they even say that? It doesn't make sense :S

Because it SOUNDS good to Joe TV Watcher who knows jack shit about computers...like me. :D It doesn't have to make sense to a techy person, it just has to sound good.

Yes, but she could have just as easily said "I'll see if I can track the IP address."

I bet if they took a little bit of effort, they could use plausible ideas with just as many buzzwords. The Joe TV Watchers would still get their buzzwords and the geeks wouldn't be as annoyed.

In an era of growing geekery, it seems like this will need to happen eventually.

Seriously. NCIS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CSI. Sure a lot of the stuff McGee and Abby do on the digital front is way out there, but at least it sounds plausible, and makes logical if not practical sense.

The statement in the thread title might as well be "I'll paint my car and see if I can replace a tire." :p

Abby and McGee used the same keyboard at the same time to 'hack faster'. They once hacked so fast they had to move the servers to the morgue because they were getting too hot. Nuff said.

that didn't really happen, did it? lawl

Yup, it really happened. You wouldn't think you would even need a technical advisor to tell you two people can't use the same keyboard at the same time.

Oh, but they can. Like I said, no practical sense, but logical sense. :p

And as for the servers, they moved them to the morgue because the air conditioning was out in the middle of the summer, not because they were hacking like crazy. Geez if you're going to criticize an episode at least get the plot right. :p

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Criminal Minds > *

Criminal Minds seems to do a decent job keeping itself within the bounds of tech capability, but without that genius guy and the ultrafast hacker chick ( who seems to have instant access to all the world's databases ) the stories would move pretty goddamn slowly.

Law and Order too does an ok job, but they do the 'enhance,enhance,enhance' shit too much and its OMG SERIOUS all the time.

NCIS - how the hell can anyone watch that?

Because some of us, even techies, watch crime drama for the crime drama, characters, and writing. Not the technical exposition. This is TV. If they showed the actual hours long process and search window that's used to search a fingerprint database it'd be boring as hell, even to techies.

Besides, at least with NCIS you can always pass it off as Big Brother having shit we don't know about. :p

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Originally posted by: her209
Isn't "GUI interface" redundant? Lame.........

I think so, I'm at the ATM machine now I'll check when I get home.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
I haven't watched CSI since the first season, but NCIS does this shit all the time too. They act like McGee is Kung Fu Jesus on this stuff then he starts asking Wendy from The Wonder Years how to overclock his processor.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: middlehead
I haven't watched CSI since the first season, but NCIS does this shit all the time too. They act like McGee is Kung Fu Jesus on this stuff then he starts asking Wendy from The Wonder Years how to overclock his processor.
Wendy or Winnie?

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003

I would ask her how to overclock my processor too...

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: oogabooga

I would ask her how to overclock my processor too...

Seriously. Kinda sad you didn't pick up on that middlehead. Guess NCIS is too human for most of AT.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Wendy or Winnie?

Don't you guys mean Abby? I used to watch the show and the two of them were pretty good with their tech stuff. You'd never expect that from an old geezers channel like CBS or Mr. Belisario (also the creator of Airwolf).

Shows like 24 have me lost though... how many sockets do they have to open?!

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: rh71
Wendy or Winnie?

Don't you guys mean Abby? I used to watch the show and the two of them were pretty good with their tech stuff. You'd never expect that from an old geezers channel like CBS.

No,
Abby = Pauley Perrette
Winnie = Danica McKellar. She did one episode a while back. One of McGees episodic love interests.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
Wendy or Winnie?

Don't you guys mean Abby? I used to watch the show and the two of them were pretty good with their tech stuff. You'd never expect that from an old geezers channel like CBS or Mr. Belisario (also the creator of Airwolf).

Shows like 24 have me lost though... how many sockets do they have to open?!

On 24? None. They're protected by a poison-pill firewall :)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
takes out a piece of Gum, chews it, folds wrapper, and blows into wrapper in front of Internet Microphone

There ya guys go. Everyone in this Thread now has Free 1 Gigabit no limit Internet access for Life!

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I think the best cop show I've seen, that doesn't exaggerate the tech stuff, is The Closer.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Modelworks
LOL
I'm still looking for one of those super image enhancement programs that can take a cell phone picture of a license plate taken from 300ft away and make it look like a 10 megapixel close up.

When I was in middle school I actually asked the librarian if they had a program that could do this :eek:

that was a sad day in my life.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
All technical (computer/medical) talk in all those shows is complete BS.

You telling me that this GUI I'm making won't remove this Pulmonary Abdominal Cancerous Arterial Tumor from my Frontal Lobe??

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: sandorski
takes out a piece of Gum, chews it, folds wrapper, and blows into wrapper in front of Internet Microphone

There ya guys go. Everyone in this Thread now has Free 1 Gigabit no limit Internet access for Life!

Whoa....thanks dude...:thumbsup:

Originally posted by: Lithium381
hehehe, and nobody ever questioned McGuyver

Well, no one under the age of 30 maybe...:D

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Lithium381
hehehe, and nobody ever questioned McGuyver

Questioning McGuyver is like fighting Chuck Norris, you just don't do it.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
I always wonder why there is a lightbulb shortage in CSI. The labs are always dark, with some glowing blue shelves providing the only light. Wife had it on yesterday to mock it herself for awhile and they had:
typical dark, blue lit labs;
dark, blue lit parking garage;
a crime scene at a house with apparently no lights, windows, or the possibility of plugging in some work lights since they were examining the scene with a flashlight and a camera flash

:p