"I'll create a GUI interface using Visual Basic, see if I can track an IP address"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It's funny to us but I guarantee there are parts on other shows, like House, that look equally stupid to a medical professional and that we don't notice. Mrsskoorb points them out to me sometimes. Like if somebody is crashing and they administer 40 cc of some drug I've never heard of it sounds fine to me but for all I know it's twice the dose you'd give to somebody that big, ever, and for that matter the particular drug is only used to calm down chronic erection.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It's funny to us but I guarantee there are parts on other shows, like House, that look equally stupid to a medical professional and that we don't notice. Mrsskoorb points them out to me sometimes. Like if somebody is crashing and they administer 40 cc of some drug I've never heard of it sounds fine to me but for all I know it's twice the dose you'd give to somebody that big, ever, and for that matter the particular drug is only used to calm down chronic erection.

I can live with that. Now if House said "inject him with a cardiogram of aspirin" then I would be bugged.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: timosyy
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: speg
Why would they even say that? It doesn't make sense :S

Because it SOUNDS good to Joe TV Watcher who knows jack shit about computers...like me. :D It doesn't have to make sense to a techy person, it just has to sound good.

Yes, but she could have just as easily said "I'll see if I can track the IP address."

I guess they don't teach tracert to CSI people anymore.

heck, I can go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it'll put it on a freakin' Google Map for me. Don't even need a GUI! :D

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

there ya go: http://www.politedissent.com/house_pd.html

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Originally posted by: Fritzo

I guess they don't teach tracert to CSI people anymore.

heck, I can go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it'll put it on a freakin' Google Map for me. Don't even need a GUI! :D

I love when ad sites try to use that method for targeting ads at me. It shows a city 200 miles away :p

Yeah. I live in a decently large city and it shows me in a small city about 70 miles away. A tracert shows that my connection does go through that small city.

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
Originally posted by: rh71

Wow. They really like watching house and dissecting it.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

:laugh:

You'll probably find that with any mainstream show that follows a specific career..medical, law enforcement...techie stuff..etc.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Originally posted by: Leros

Because it SOUNDS good to Joe TV Watcher who knows jack shit about computers...like me. :D It doesn't have to make sense to a techy person, it just has to sound good.

Yes, but she could have just as easily said "I'll see if I can track the IP address."

I bet if they took a little bit of effort, they could use plausible ideas with just as many buzzwords. The Joe TV Watchers would still get their buzzwords and the geeks wouldn't be as annoyed.

In an era of growing geekery, it seems like this will need to happen eventually.

they could hire a techie out of the networking thread for peanuts and have all of their technical stuff dealt with for dirt cheap, and be far more accurate.

I worked construction for more than 3 decades, I see shit all the time, especially involving cranes that are stupidly inaccurate yet look good to the average viewer.

TV writers don't worry about accuracy only entertainment value.

The medical shows are as bad or worse about their "artistic license" with plots and storylines.

Get over the stupid inaccuracies and just enjoy the show...or change the channel.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
This is why Castle is the best cop show. It doesn't have any of these made-up procedural buzzwords floating around, just good old fashioned characters.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Originally posted by: Leros

I bet if they took a little bit of effort, they could use plausible ideas with just as many buzzwords. The Joe TV Watchers would still get their buzzwords and the geeks wouldn't be as annoyed.

In an era of growing geekery, it seems like this will need to happen eventually.

they could hire a techie out of the networking thread for peanuts and have all of their technical stuff dealt with for dirt cheap, and be far more accurate.

I worked construction for more than 3 decades, I see shit all the time, especially involving cranes that are stupidly inaccurate yet look good to the average viewer.

TV writers don't worry about accuracy only entertainment value.

The medical shows are as bad or worse about their "artistic license" with plots and storylines.

Get over the stupid inaccuracies and just enjoy the show...or change the channel.

As an American it is my right (no, my duty) to whine about trivial things that bother me.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006

Because it SOUNDS good to Joe TV Watcher who knows jack shit about computers... It doesn't have to make sense... it just has to sound good.

this, exactly. if they actually tried to be technically true the show would take forever to prove stuff.

i think ill write me a gui interface in vb to track their tech mistakes in real time :p

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
NCIS has kept its mumbo jumbo tech nonsense down to a minimum. It still gets annoying at times especially how Abby seems to be able to run LC/MS and get the analytes names right and guess what they make up. However there's more character development and the squad cracks me up.

Each episde still gets 20 million viewers.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
"I'll create a GUI interface using Visual Basic, see if I can track an IP address"

NO! That'll take too long. It'll be quicker to refresh the LCD and enable V-sync, that'll speed the DNS trace.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002

I visit that site after every show.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
"I'll create a database query using SQL, see if I can list the active users on AT."

select u.vchnickname,u.btombstoneavailable,u.iuserid,u.dtbirthdate,u.vchfirstname,u.vchlastname from ftdb_users u,ftdb_forumusers fu where fu.iforumid = 1 and u.iuserid = fu.iuserid and dtlastvisiteddate between '2009-10-22T12:10:15' and '2009-10-22T12:26:15' order by vchnickname asc

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
There's one thing that hasn't been said yet. I think it would be incredibly annoying to use tech equipment that makes so many 'techy' noises. Every button they push or click makes some kind of beep!

Law and Order, CSI, NCIS... they all do this stuff. We're just the group that happens to notice. I have no idea what they're talking about on House, but it seems reasonable! When I lived in the dorms and my friends and I would watch these shows I'd get told to shut up all the time.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Originally posted by: TuxDave

I visit that site after every show.

yea and considering most shows on tv House actually does a decent job with trying to make their diseases etc accurate. Sure there are inaccuracies and time lines are shortened but it is pretty good at keeping up with actual medical procedures etc.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Tobolo
I love how they cant test any substance in a Gas Cromatagraph in about 5 seconds. I full load on the HP machines they use would take hours! Not to mention they do nothing like what they say. Stupid tv writers.

To be fair, if these shows mirrored real life, each episode would take a few months. I have no problems with them speeding up some processes to keep the pace up, but when they start doing things that are simply impossible it gets a little annoying.