"I'll create a GUI interface using Visual Basic, see if I can track an IP address"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
You know how cheap it would be just to ask a computer guy hey does this line make sense? It shows they are not even trying.
At least some shows like the Big Bang theory actually have a theoretical physicist on staff to keep the science legit.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: fleabag
Originally posted by: sourceninja
Originally posted by: irishScott
Originally posted by: Leros
Originally posted by: timosyy
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: speg
Why would they even say that? It doesn't make sense :S

Because it SOUNDS good to Joe TV Watcher who knows jack shit about computers...like me. :D It doesn't have to make sense to a techy person, it just has to sound good.

Yes, but she could have just as easily said "I'll see if I can track the IP address."

I bet if they took a little bit of effort, they could use plausible ideas with just as many buzzwords. The Joe TV Watchers would still get their buzzwords and the geeks wouldn't be as annoyed.

In an era of growing geekery, it seems like this will need to happen eventually.

Seriously. NCIS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CSI. Sure a lot of the stuff McGee and Abby do on the digital front is way out there, but at least it sounds plausible, and makes logical if not practical sense.

The statement in the thread title might as well be "I'll paint my car and see if I can replace a tire." :p

Abby and McGee used the same keyboard at the same time to 'hack faster'. They once hacked so fast they had to move the servers to the morgue because they were getting too hot. Nuff said.

that didn't really happen, did it? lawl

Yup, it really happened. You wouldn't think you would even need a technical advisor to tell you two people can't use the same keyboard at the same time.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Criminal Minds > *

Criminal Minds seems to do a decent job keeping itself within the bounds of tech capability, but without that genius guy and the ultrafast hacker chick ( who seems to have instant access to all the world's databases ) the stories would move pretty goddamn slowly.

Law and Order too does an ok job, but they do the 'enhance,enhance,enhance' shit too much and its OMG SERIOUS all the time.

NCIS - how the hell can anyone watch that?

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Last season on 24 they were talking about how someone kept getting the "route" account on their cluster for two or three episodes.

That was something that actually bugged me.

Delita

Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: sourceninja
Originally posted by: irishScott
Originally posted by: Leros
Originally posted by: timosyy
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: speg
Why would they even say that? It doesn't make sense :S

Because it SOUNDS good to Joe TV Watcher who knows jack shit about computers...like me. :D It doesn't have to make sense to a techy person, it just has to sound good.

Yes, but she could have just as easily said "I'll see if I can track the IP address."

I bet if they took a little bit of effort, they could use plausible ideas with just as many buzzwords. The Joe TV Watchers would still get their buzzwords and the geeks wouldn't be as annoyed.

In an era of growing geekery, it seems like this will need to happen eventually.

Seriously. NCIS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CSI. Sure a lot of the stuff McGee and Abby do on the digital front is way out there, but at least it sounds plausible, and makes logical if not practical sense.

The statement in the thread title might as well be "I'll paint my car and see if I can replace a tire." :p

Abby and McGee used the same keyboard at the same time to 'hack faster'. They once hacked so fast they had to move the servers to the morgue because they were getting too hot. Nuff said.

I remember seeing that. It was the first time I saw NCIS and right after it I turned it off and have never watched a episode since.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Modelworks
LOL
I'm still looking for one of those super image enhancement programs that can take a cell phone picture of a license plate taken from 300ft away and make it look like a 10 megapixel close up.

enhance! [hits 7 keystrokes]... done!

GUI interface
is that like NT Technology?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
btw, 2 shows that were good about computer lingo were Las Vegas and NCIS.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Yup, hate that show.

And not just for the horribly stupid tech references...it's just so bad, so strained, & boring to watch.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Hahahahaha

I also love how the person who made that video spelled retarded "Retarted".

nineball9

Aug 10, 2003
Other than PBS and some sports and news I don't watch TV but I happened to see about 20 minutes of one of these "crime scene" shows last year.
It was so silly. If the actors had simply asked the otherwise omnipotent computer "whodunit?", the show would have been over in 5 minutes.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I really hate those shows. they have this amazing computer lap with monitors the size of the wall where they can move stuff just by waiving a hand. Or some super 3d program to get anything.

Also is it just me or does nobody ever have a lawyer and always want to talk? if im accused of a crime and sitting in the police department im going to have a lawyer.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I love how they cant test any substance in a Gas Cromatagraph in about 5 seconds. I full load on the HP machines they use would take hours! Not to mention they do nothing like what they say. Stupid tv writers.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
In prison break they used a device the size of a cell phone to copy data off of desktop pc. Iit was done by just being in the same room with the pc. It found the pc, connected to it, cracked encryption and downloaded all data, all without ever touching it. Damn I need one of those.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I can't watch CSI and it's psuedo-reality anymore without thinking back to this clip from Two and a Half Men.