if you get pulled over for speeding, what should you say to the cop?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
I usually hand the officer my license, registration, and a $100 bill.

Sometimes they ask, what it's for, sometimes they don't.

If he asks, it is my bond for the ticket he is about to write me (so they don't take my physical drivers license card as bond). A lot of times this deters them because they don't have $5 - $25 in change to give me, so they give me a warning instead (Apparently it's a hassle / lot of paperwork to get the courts to refund the remainder).

Sometimes they will take the hassle, and the cash, and write you a ticket.

Sometimes they don't ask, and they just take the money and you get a verbal warning. This is preferable to having an actual ticket on your record, even if you still "paid" the fine.

Last guy that tried that with me got the 100 dollars back and multiple tickets instead of just one. I've arrested and charged people for attempted bribery.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Last guy that tried that with me got the 100 dollars back and multiple tickets instead of just one. I've arrested and charged people for attempted bribery.

Most cops I've spoken to take the same stance. Bribing is hardly ever taken lightly.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Most cops I've spoken to take the same stance. Bribing is hardly ever taken lightly.

Just isn't worth a full time job paying 60k+ a year.

You'd all probably also be surprised at the number of officers that cheer when a dirty cop is arrested.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
4. Take out your license and insurance hold them in your right hand

I would change 4. to go ahaead and roll down the window, shut off the car. (optional - put keys on dash)
then do your #5

I advise never reaching for anything until the cop is there, asks for it, and can see exactly what your are doing. But this may be a habit i have from living in a CCW state. Also, if you have any weapons, advise the officer. Some say put your hands on the window seal, but i feel keeping both hands on the top of the steering wheel is ok. After you notify the officer of weapons, concealed or otherwise, follow what ever instructions they will give you.

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
I would change 4. to go ahaead and roll down the window, shut off the car. (optional - put keys on dash)
then do your #5

I advise never reaching for anything until the cop is there, asks for it, and can see exactly what your are doing. But this may be a habit i have from living in a CCW state. Also, if you have any weapons, advise the officer. Some say put your hands on the window seal, but i feel keeping both hands on the top of the steering wheel is ok. After you notify the officer of weapons, concealed or otherwise, follow what ever instructions they will give you.

You do not have to notify the officer of concealed weapons if you have a permit.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I normally immediately apologize and say "I'm really sorry, I wasn't paying as much attention as I normally do". Or say there was a kick ass song on the radio and your foot got a little heavy and say it was megadeath. All cops love megadeath. You'll get off with a warning everytime.

Megadeth

Although, in retrospect, some probably do like megadeath as well.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
You do not have to notify the officer of concealed weapons if you have a permit.

It's polite to do so. Not a requirement, but I'd rather someone come out and say they are carrying rather then me spotting it and reacting differently.

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
It's polite to do so. Not a requirement, but I'd rather someone come out and say they are carrying rather then me spotting it and reacting differently.

My friend has a CCW and when he notified the officer he had the weapon and also that he had a permit the officer went apeshit and had him out of the car, cuffed, and in the back of the cruiser while calling for backup. It took forever to get it all sorted out

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008

They don't need to know. Mainly because there are some cops out there who are not so okay about it and don't know how to deal with citizens who are legally armed, and it can cause a big fuss, like the poster above mentioned. There is no need for it. If properly concealed then they won't know you're carrying anyway.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000

I think the law here says the do (a must notify state), but the officers do appreciate it. It is a courtesy if nothing else, like placing your hands on the top of the steering wheel where they can be seen.

To be clear, i don't have a ccw permit, but i have two friends that do and this is what they told me from their different classes. I'm not big on the idea of having to be finger printed to get one.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
My friend has a CCW and when he notified the officer he had the weapon and also that he had a permit the officer went apeshit and had him out of the car, cuffed, and in the back of the cruiser while calling for backup. It took forever to get it all sorted out

This is always a concern, just think how he would have reacted if he happened to spot it. (shot) You can't help scared people in the wrong line of work. Sounds like that cop needs a desk job or a new carrier all together.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I don't know if you realize this, but cops don't just randomly pull people over. Chances are pretty dang good they have evidence to give you a citation.

I got pulled over for nothing a little over a month ago. The cop asked me if he knew why I was pulled over and I said no sir. He told me he paced me at 65 (which was an outright lie). I told the officer I know the speed limit was 50 where I just was and 55 right up ahead. It was 4 AM, I was on my way to work where I did not have to be until 5 AM. He ran my driving history and only one ticket showed up in the past 6 years or so and let me off with a warning. (He was most likely looking for drunk drivers.)

How do I know the cop lied? My radiator had been messing up (fixed now) and my low coolant level warning was coming off and on, I was constantly watching my dashboard. I was at a stoplight that changed green and on a stretch of 3/4 mile before my turn there is no reason to go over 50 as it will save me 2 seconds or so. Also, I leave for work with plenty of time that I don't have to speed.

Last edited:

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
The last time that I got pulled over was for doing 65 in a 40.

As soon as he lit me up, I pulled over, put on my 4-ways, turned on the interior light, and placed both hands on the wheel (windows were already down). I announced everything I was doing before I did it. When he asked me why I was speeding, I simply told the truth: I had a shitty day and just wanted to get home ASAP.

I got off with a warning.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
In some states, yes, you are required by law to do so (but only if your CCW is issued by that state). If you fail to and get caught, bye bye CCW permit.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
This is my patented method. It makes a clear statement that you are ensuring officer safety and WILL result in more "letting you go's" than tickets. 1. Pull over in an unhurried but prompt manner and use your indicator 2. Make sure you are as far off the side of the road as is feasible 3. Turn on your cabin light and open your glove box 4. Take out your license and insurance hold them in your right hand 5. place both hands on the top of the steering wheel As the officer approaches the car he will be at a low risk of getting hit by traffic due to your parking and he will see you as a clear non threat with your ID readily available. When he reaches the car roll down the window and be polite. Don't outright admit to anything, but be honest.

That method has worked for me in the past. Got nailed this spring and it didn't work.
I was (honestly) in an area I wasn't that familiar with. I'd been on the road a few times and knew it was 50MPH for most of the drive. It was a Sunday morning and I took my wife and 2 year old to a park that was off from the road I got nailed on. I pulled out of the park onto the main highway and could see the 50MPH sign about a hundred yards down. I was doing around 53-55 when I hit the 50 MPH sign.

I drive another mile down the road and see cop lights. I drive a little further and he still follows me. Ok. So I get into the turn lane and pull over into a parking lot off the highway. Cop pulls in. Does his deal. I have my license, ins, and registration ready. Window down, hands on the wheel.

Cop comes up and says "In a hurry this morning?"
I say "No, not really".
Cop says "You were doing 55 in a 45".
Me "Oh. I thought I was in a 50, sorry about that".
Cop "You were. But where you pulled out it was 45. I followed you for a couple miles" (he was in an unmarked Durango)
Me "Ok."

He goes back to his car and sits there for what is an erternity. Comes back and says "Here's your ticket, thanks for being cooperative".

My first ticket in almost 15 years.

Lame. Sunday morning. With my wife and kid. Not hardly a single car on the road. Squeeky clean record. Thought I was doing 3-4 over. Bleh.

After I talked to some people this town has a horrible history of having some of the biggest asshole townies around. Not a single person has ever got a warning from them.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
In some states, yes, you are required by law to do so (but only if your CCW is issued by that state). If you fail to and get caught, bye bye CCW permit.

In my state it has been my experience that the officer knows the moment he walks up to the car that I have a permit. I noticed a change in how they approach my car before and after I got my permit. They also went from "Is there anything in the car I should know about?" to "Are you carrying a weapon today?"

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008

Yes you are correct, some states do have an inform law. Mine does not.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I try and say as little as possible.. acknowledge the officer, never admit guilt or speed, and try and be as forgettable as possible in the event that I fight it in court or via a written declaration.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
2008-03-13-Pulled-Over.jpg