if you get pulled over for speeding, what should you say to the cop?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Do you really think admitting it will?

Why yes, Yes I do. The cop already has all the evidence he needs to slap you with a ticket. So put yourself in his shoes. You have all you need to give the guy a ticket, but for procedure sake you ask him "Do you know why I pulled you over?" How would you feel if he gave you these responses

A. No officer, I have no clue why you chose to pull me over.
B. I demand a lawyer.
C. Yes, I was speeding *blah blah blah, some excuse, but ultimately admitting you were in the wrong*

I don't know about you, but for me, the absolute worse thing someone could do when I've got them dead to rights is act like a dumb ass. Cops are people too, and acting like a retard generally tends to make people hate you. When someone asks a question, they want a truthful answer, not some half-assed "I'm not going to answer that! How fast do You think I was going" type response.

However, go ahead, the next time you get pulled over see how well your "not admitting guilt" defense works against getting a ticket. I'm sure that is what every ticket hinges on...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
except when he noticed a taillight out and you admit you were doing 15mph over at the very least.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
I know why they ask you that, I used to be a police officer you dipshit. The point is, dancing around the fact that you were speeding won't get you out of a ticket. If I was on the fence and some moron was acting like some of you think is the proper way to act then I'd write you a ticket for speeding and any other violation I could think of.

And yes, they are trying to chat with you for a while, it's the perfect way to see if you're on drugs, drunk, acting suspicious, etc... Get a clue.

lol u mad because I gave away ur secret to catching bad guise? lulz
Isn' that exactly what I said? They are chatting you up to catch you admitting to stuff. But go ahead throw a hissy fit while agreeing with what I said.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Why yes, Yes I do. The cop already has all the evidence he needs to slap you with a ticket.

How the hell do you know what evidence he has? With your dumb ass he doesn't need any evidence! You admitted to it! hahahaha

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
How the hell do you know what evidence he has? With your dumb ass he doesn't need any evidence! You admitted to it! hahahaha

I don't know if you realize this, but cops don't just randomly pull people over. Chances are pretty dang good they have evidence to give you a citation.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
lol u mad because I gave away ur secret to catching bad guise? lulz
Isn' that exactly what I said? They are chatting you up to catch you admitting to stuff. But go ahead throw a hissy fit while agreeing with what I said.

Yes, they're trying to get you to admit to stuff. No, they're not trying to get you to admit to speeding, they've already got you for speeding, which was my point. Seriously, this isn't a difficult concept to grasp. You're more likely to get a speeding ticket if you act like a jerk. The OP was asking about speeding, not "other stuff."

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
I don't know if you realize this, but cops don't just randomly pull people over. Chances are pretty dang good they have evidence to give you a citation.

So no one ever gets a ticket thrown out or reduced in traffic court.... ok I see.

I am SO WRONG OMG everyone he's right you should always waive your rights and admit guilt in the face of NO EVIDENCE even though you are NOT IN A COURTROOM AND HAVEN'T SWORN IN YET.

THE FOUNDERS OF THIS NATION WERE MORONS! IDIOTS I TELL YOU! When they wrote the bill of rights WHAT WERE THEY THINKING! F- THAT shit admit guilt! yarrrrr.

hee hee this is fun are you havin fun?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

I have been stopped late at night quite a few times and wasn't speeding and didn't get any citation.

Should I have admitted I was speeding earlier, maybe in a street race, maybe drinking?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
So no one ever gets a ticket thrown out or reduced in traffic court.... ok I see.

Close to nobody does. It is a very rare thing

I am SO WRONG OMG everyone he's right you should always waive your rights and admit guilt in the face of NO EVIDENCE even though you are NOT IN A COURTROOM AND HAVEN'T SWORN IN YET.
Yep you are wrong. Acting like a douche generally gets you nowhere in life. If a cop is going to ding you on speeding, he will. Even if he has ABSOLUTELY no evidence, he could get you on speeding. It would be your word against his.

THE FOUNDERS OF THIS NATION WERE MORONS! IDIOTS I TELL YOU! When they wrote the bill of rights WHAT WERE THEY THINKING! F- THAT shit admit guilt! yarrrrr.
Now you're just frothing.

As much fun as I can have.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
if you get pulled over for speeding, what should you say to the cop?

this one is easy: "I'm sorry officer, but there was a midnight showing of Avatar in 3D for 5 bucks, and I'm already late! It's my favorite movie in the world and I've already seen it 10 times, but I would absolutely HATE to miss the opening!! " D:

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
I have been stopped late at night quite a few times and wasn't speeding and didn't get any citation.

Should I have admitted I was speeding earlier, maybe in a street race, maybe drinking?

Did the officer ask you if you knew why he pulled you over? Answer honestly, if you where speeding right before he pulled you over, then I would say "I was going slightly over the speed limit." If you really don't know why he pulled you over then your response should be "No officer, I don't know why you pulled me over."

It isn't rocket science people. Be socialable.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

People get tickets thrown out because the cop doesn't show and they get their tickets reduced because the judge decides to be nice. It's not because the cop doesn't have you on camera admitting to speeding. You're acting kind of strange by the way.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

No, of course not, that's silly. No one mentioned anything about admitting to drinking and driving or street racing. All we're saying is that when you get caught speeding there's no reason to not admit to it. 99% of the time if you're pulled over for speeding, you know it.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Best offense is a good defense. Don't drive around with contraband, let other people host large parties. Don't drive drunk.

If you are pulled over with crack in your glove box, or you've got a bunch of teenagers high on acid in your living room, or you're puking on the officer's shoes on the side of some road just a few blocks from the bar, then forget all of this other stuff and just say "I wish to remain silent until speaking with my *burp* lawyer." Do not say anything more except to deny consent to a search.

I could be wrong, I'm not a lawyer, but this has always been my philosophy.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
not buying any of this. I do leave enough room for the cop to pull over too and use his vehicle as a shield though.

I speed all the time and average about 1 ticket every 10 years. I am probably stopped 1-2 times a year.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Tell them to fvck off and get belligerent, it works almost every time with cops. Always has, always will.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I have been pulled over many times. I have found that being honest and polite pretty much always works. I got pulled over twice for basically no reason so when they asked 'Do you know why I pulled you over?' I say 'No sir, I do not'. When I have been speeding I say 'Yes sir, I was going 45 in a 35' or 'I was going a bit fast'. Of the 12 times I have been pulled over I have gotten 1 ticket

I always put my hands in view on the wheel and act calm to try and put the officer at ease. Since officers tend to deal with dickwads all day I think being at least slightly friendly or amicable would help to

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003

Hahahaha, bullshit.

A few times I've been pulled over over bullshit. Once for having a suspected "paper license plate" and another for passing a double yellow on an intersection. (WTF? It's an intersection and has NO double yellow...)

When I got stopped for the "paper license plate" the cop was hitting my car on the sides with his stick, which he only stopped after I showed his partner my SBA + PBA cards. They were looking for drug compartments.

Both times I got away and both times was within the first month I had my Civic.

I love dumbshits who think that cops don't do shit just to mess with people.

Last edited:

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
This is how it usually works for me.

I get pulled over, typically for 5-10 over the speed limit.

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: No Officer.
Officer: You were speeding, do you know how fast you were going?
Me: Yes Officer.
Officer: How fast was that?
Me: You said you pulled me over for speeding so you should know how fast I was going.
Officer: Can I see your license and registration.
Officer: Wait right here a moment.

I get more warnings then tickets.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
This is my patented method. It makes a clear statement that you are ensuring officer safety and WILL result in more "letting you go's" than tickets.

1. Pull over in an unhurried but prompt manner and use your indicator
2. Make sure you are as far off the side of the road as is feasible
3. Turn on your cabin light and open your glove box
4. Take out your license and insurance hold them in your right hand
5. place both hands on the top of the steering wheel

As the officer approaches the car he will be at a low risk of getting hit by traffic due to your parking and he will see you as a clear non threat with your ID readily available. When he reaches the car roll down the window and be polite. Don't outright admit to anything, but be honest.

For example

Do you know why I pulled you over?

I was probably driving too fast.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The thing to remember is the police can only accuse you of a crime, they can't prosecute you for it. They can say you were speeding or that you did something but the courts decide if it applies. So when they charge you with something don't get angry or violent , just be polite and you can take it up with the court or a lawyer later.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
My point exactly, by the time they pull you over, they have all the evidence they need to give you a fine. Unless you have 500kg of cocaine in your backseat, incriminating yourself won't change a thing.

Actually in the OP's case, i don't think the cop had any admissible evidence that he was in fact speeding. The OP didn't indicate there was any radar or laser clocking for proof. No tailing to match speed. The only thing he could use would be eyeballing it, which can easily be challenged. Especially given the lack of actual time the OP says the cop was around him.

The line of questioning is to add admission to any citation to help it hold up in court if the person decides to challenge it. The officer is often looking for other things that are out of line, suspicious, or any other indicators of something that might be wrong causing the driver/passengers to be very nervous.

While i don't advocate lying, i also don't think one should do the cops job for them. I will never answer that question. I don't care if i am blatantly speeding or breaking the law. They can write it on the ticket and move on.

A small example. One of my ex-girlfriends, we heading home from the beach, cop pulls us over. She was going all of 2 mph over the speed limit. I told her not to answer that question; but when he asked it, she looked at him all scared and said, "speeding?". The cop looked baffled, then answered with a stutter, "ah, no, you have a head light out". Now if the cop wanted to be an ass, he could have easily made it a horrible experience.

In my case of my one and so far only speeding ticket, the cop didn't even bother asking that question because i was going so far over the posted limit. When he asked me why i was going 98 mph i told him the truth. I had no reason. He was well with in the law to arrest me and impound my car, but surprisingly he didn't. And at the end before he handed me my ticket, he thanked me for not making up some BS story about the hospital, bathroom, or other crazy stuff he gets. While i wasn't challenging the speeding, i did take it to court to do everything i can to keep my license. EVERYTHING, the cop and i discussed, he had written down and read to the judge when the judge asked for it. That is another reason why you don't say stupid shit to cops when they pull you over.