I met a girl from the South

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This thread just speaks to the urban/rural divide more than anything.

That is a part of it but it's a lot more than that. TN voted Trump by over 20%. The ratio of backwards people to evolved people is just much lower than in other states. Also they are just more far gone - not only are they racist, but they openly fly a treasonous flag, and they are also a lot of Evangelical loons compared to up north and west.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
What, even up in Michigan?

I drove through parts of northern IL that I know well and the fucking stars and bars are everywhere, typically right next to Trump flags. It was not like that 10-20 years ago.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Nope, just take a good look around. No one trusts the establishment media, their ratings are down. No one trusts politicians. Fauci is being criticized left and right. All thanks to the establishment over reaching. And their little leftist henchmen doing their dirty work. It's a sad state of affairs when liberals are turned into pawns of the establishment instead of fighting the establishment. Where the hell are the liberals who fought to the little man?

Guess they’re busy fighting nazi’s again. *shrugs*.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
WRT OP, not everyone is built to be a crazy evangelical. I was raised in that environment and it never sat well with me. Good you can see some hope out there, if only just a glimpse.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I drove through parts of northern IL that I know well and the fucking stars and bars are everywhere, typically right next to Trump flags. It was not like that 10-20 years ago.

Sounds like conservatism itself has rallied around those symbols throughout the nation, connected via the internet.
Makes sense though, with the South being deep red. It is the singular cultural inspiration for who and what they are following Saint Reagan.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Some of it is the rural areas have become more and more economically depressed, largely through policies they've voted for. This makes them fearful and cling to guns, religion, and strong men. They don't want solutions that take effort, they want someone to come in and tell them the mine will reopen and the illegals will be kicked out of the field, and the union that "shutdown" the mill will be crushed. And they believe it when someone says it.

The smart and driven leave in mass to find opportunities elsewhere, systematically draining resources from the community and causing those left behind to become more and more radical.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Some of it is the rural areas have become more and more economically depressed, largely through policies they've voted for. This makes them fearful and cling to guns, religion, and strong men. They don't want solutions that take effort, they want someone to come in and tell them the mine will reopen and the illegals will be kicked out of the field, and the union that "shutdown" the mill will be crushed. And they believe it when someone says it.

The smart and driven leave in mass to find opportunities elsewhere, systematically draining resources from the community and causing those left behind to become more and more radical.

Yes, they are highly susceptible to magical thinking that big daddy Trump is going to turn the clock back somehow and their little hamlets will prosper once more as they are the rightful heirs of "real America". In that sense Trump is an empty vessel for their hopes and dreams as well as their prejudices and anger at a changing world. His sounds are just echos of their own ugliness.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Work from home policies are shifting things a bit. At least then you can get cheap property in rural areas and still have a decent job. You are still stuck living in rural hell.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Work from home policies are shifting things a bit. At least then you can get cheap property in rural areas and still have a decent job. You are still stuck living in rural hell.
And don't have decent network infrastructure to work from home. Although they seem to be able to get their daily dose of hate from somewhere. Fox....

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
And don't have decent network infrastructure to work from home. Although they seem to be able to get their daily dose of hate from somewhere. Fox....

Eh, very situational. Turns out...rich white people can get about anything they want if they complain enough. I think you'd be surprised just how much rural white America has access to pseudo-high speed internet. They aren't getting fiber, but they sure have access to cable internet. I lived in downstate IL and was on a septic and well system. My parents were near me and didn't even have a paved road to their house. We all had cable internet.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Somewhat relevant—new study shows how Evangelicals have replaced Jesus Christ with wealth accumulation and Trumpian politics as their objects of worship…and their cancer is spreading.

Reactions: Zorba

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nope, just take a good look around. No one trusts the establishment media, their ratings are down. No one trusts politicians. Fauci is being criticized left and right. All thanks to the establishment over reaching. And their little leftist henchmen doing their dirty work. It's a sad state of affairs when liberals are turned into pawns of the establishment instead of fighting the establishment. Where the hell are the liberals who fought to the little man?
You need to clean the Fox out of your headspace. It isn't healthy.

Reactions: Muse

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
All thanks to the establishment over reaching.

There are also conservative establishment people in D.C. and they're really not any better (in fact some are quite worse) than corporate Dems (aka a faction who are part of "shitlibs").

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Honestly, why are you surprised religion has played and continues to play a major part in American society?

I'm not surprised by it. It was more like when I started the post, I was ignoring the link, but as I was writing it, the link to religion came to mind. So, it was sort of like I was debating myself. :p (Sometimes, I'll just rewrite a post completely if I change my mind, but other times, I'll just write it all down.)

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013

Nah bro, but you have it all very confused in your head. See the Internet has made you guys think you are mainstream and that you have woken up some sleeping beast. No. The ones that have been sleeping for years are liberals and you have very much opened their eyes. Thanks. You far right radicalized republicans are nothing new.

I'm sorry bro but Americans are waking up to just how fucking selfish and pig headed Republicans are.

I will never vote for one again.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
There are also conservative establishment people in D.C. and they're really not any better (in fact some are quite worse) than corporate Dems (aka a faction who are part of "shitlibs").