I met a girl from the South

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Went on a date in the city with a girl from Tennessee. At 42 years old she lived almost all her life in TN, did an internship in Europe, finished her master's in Memphis, moved to NYC in 2017. She is a psychologist.

We got to discussing living and why she moved and what she liked and didn't like. Basically she said she never wants to live in the South again due to it being too conservative. She liked Memphis, said it was refreshing compared to growing up in the country there, but once you get out of the city it gets pretty bad real quick. She grew up in a religious household, and was sent to an Evangelical private school, and said as she got older she realized how fucked up those Evangelicals were. They just didn't treat people and children correctly. They were very much about pushing the Evangelical religion over other denominations as well, were not hesitant to talk shit about Methodists, let alone other religions... She left and finished her senior year in public school by just refusing to go back.

Her profile mentions how much she likes hiking and camping (car camping). I'm looking for a city gal that also enjoys getting out in the woods, even hoping to find someone who'll do 1-2 night backpacking trips with me. She and her family did lots of outdoor activities. Sometimes they would just go on scenic country drives on the weekends, as I guess it was just something to do. She said she saw plenty of Confederate flags on these drives. They would go to Arkansas as there was some good camping and other outdoor activities, but it gets pretty rural out there as we all know, and she remembers seeing some big property with many buildings on it, like a compound, all with the Confederate flag flying on each building. Sights like these, well, they were all too common and they just made her uncomfortable. While she loves many people she has met down there, she said the ratio of backwards thinking folks is just too high for her mental well-being. She did like the cost of living down there though and as I mentioned, said Memphis and Nashville, for example, have cool stuff to do. Her sister turned out more liberal than conservative as well.

There is hope that some of the youth can evolve out of the regressive backwards thinking of conservatism these days.

Reactions: Muse

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
What dating app did you use? For research of course.

She is from Bumble. I use Bumble, Tinder and Hinge. OkCupid got really shitty so I moved on from there. Bumble was getting rough for me but after a few months of not using it I logged back on and have another Bumble date tomorrow with a teacher from NJ. I'll probably go into another period of famine with Bumble though.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
No American can avoid having been conditioned to some degree by conservative thinking. If you use derision of conservatives to boost your egotism, to make you feel superior to them, you will be practicing a form of self hate. Self hate is also hatred of others. May I suggest, for the sake of love and the potential for good relationships, you seek in your heart to feel compassion for those more infected by that disease than you are. There is the hope that you suggest is out there but who among us knows for whom such a bell will toll or why. Why one should awaken and another succumb to sleep is an unfathomable mystery to me. I think to blame is to pretend to be awake. Hang on to your positive outlook.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
We got to discussing living and why she moved and what she liked and didn't like. Basically she said she never wants to live in the South again due to it being too conservative.

As someone that grew up in rural PA and has lived in AL for a while, I don't know if I can really agree. The rural areas of states like PA and NY are still far more conservative than the left-leaning cities. (I've heard PA called "Pennsyl-tucky" for a reason.) The biggest difference is that people up north don't usually go around making their ignorance and/or bigotry so obvious by flying a Confederate flag.

What I'd consider to be the larger difference is just the prevalence of religion. It isn't that religion doesn't exist up north, as it definitely does, but it just feels like it's everywhere around here, and the institution is massive in scale. Although, to be fair, it seems like the Christian religion is pretty much intrinsically tied to American Conservatism right now, so it might be a moot point to try to make this distinction.

That does remind me of a conversation that I had with a friend recently. We were talking about social issues in general with things like mask mandates, vaccine mandates, social programs, etc. What I found interesting is when he mentioned that he keyed in on how he was going against his faith in his response to those that are less fortunate (homeless, low-income families, etc.). I used that opportunity to talk about a few different topics such as how social programs fill in the gap due to our poor starting wages, avoiding looking at poster children for social program abuse (e.g. the "Cadillac Queens"), how tax breaks and trickle-down economics has not worked since its heavy push in the 80's, and so on. I wish I had gotten more time on that last topic as it's so easy to just say... "Why does a company like Comcast or AT&T need a tax break to create jobs? These large corporations are already performing the ROI evaluation regardless of tax breaks, and would implement the expansion/changes regardless of tax breaks if it's lucrative enough. Even if you give them more money to play with, if the change isn't worth it, they aren't likely to do it." I could see providing tax breaks to smaller businesses as they often lack the capital to make changes and foster growth. (Enhancing loans for small businesses might work out well there too.)

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
As someone that grew up in rural PA and has lived in AL for a while, I don't know if I can really agree. The rural areas of states like PA and NY are still far more conservative than the left-leaning cities. (I've heard PA called "Pennsyl-tucky" for a reason.) The biggest difference is that people up north don't usually go around making their ignorance and/or bigotry so obvious by flying a Confederate flag.

What I'd consider to be the larger difference is just the prevalence of religion. It isn't that religion doesn't exist up north, as it definitely does, but it just feels like it's everywhere around here, and the institution is massive in scale. Although, to be fair, it seems like the Christian religion is pretty much intrinsically tied to American Conservatism right now, so it might be a moot point to try to make this distinction.

That does remind me of a conversation that I had with a friend recently. We were talking about social issues in general with things like mask mandates, vaccine mandates, social programs, etc. What I found interesting is when he mentioned that he keyed in on how he was going against his faith in his response to those that are less fortunate (homeless, low-income families, etc.). I used that opportunity to talk about a few different topics such as how social programs fill in the gap due to our poor starting wages, avoiding looking at poster children for social program abuse (e.g. the "Cadillac Queens"), how tax breaks and trickle-down economics has not worked since its heavy push in the 80's, and so on. I wish I had gotten more time on that last topic as it's so easy to just say... "Why does a company like Comcast or AT&T need a tax break to create jobs? These large corporations are already performing the ROI evaluation regardless of tax breaks, and would implement the expansion/changes regardless of tax breaks if it's lucrative enough. Even if you give them more money to play with, if the change isn't worth it, they aren't likely to do it." I could see providing tax breaks to smaller businesses as they often lack the capital to make changes and foster growth. (Enhancing loans for small businesses might work out well there too.)

Honestly, why are you surprised religion has played and continues to play a major part in American society?

Consider that prior to the Civil War, the church was the center of a town, through which almost all news, political beliefs, etc., were “broadcast,” and heaven help you if you weren’t a believer in that town’s particular belief system.

And it certainly isn’t confined to the South. Consider Massachusetts Bay Colony. Prior to the Constitution, it was illegal for Catholics to be in Mass. Bay. And if found out you were Catholic and living there, you would at a minimum be forcibly removed from there, if not imprisoned or executed.

Also remember, during the creation of the Constitution, Mass. Bay and Connecticut colonies wanted strict Christian requirements be put in place within the document to mirror what they believed…like one religion with all others being illegal to practice, having to be “approved” by the church to hold political office, etc., etc.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Plenty of conservative Trump humpers and members of the party of hatred and bigotry here in the north also. It's religion. If they are susceptible to believing in a big sky fairy, they likely support a POS like Trump. I was in Tennessee a few weeks ago, also in Kentucky. I see more Trump signs up here in Wisconsin than I did down there, and I can confirm my state is full of whackadoodles.

Reactions: Muse

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Talking shit about Methodists? No wonder Hillary lost.
The ironic thing is this girl's family is actually Methodist. They sent her to a school that sometimes talked shit about methodists, but they wanted her to get a religious education, and evangelical private school was the only religious school option out in their area

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I think you are VERY confused as to who is waking up little brother.
Nope, just take a good look around. No one trusts the establishment media, their ratings are down. No one trusts politicians. Fauci is being criticized left and right. All thanks to the establishment over reaching. And their little leftist henchmen doing their dirty work. It's a sad state of affairs when liberals are turned into pawns of the establishment instead of fighting the establishment. Where the hell are the liberals who fought to the little man?

• Haha
Reactions: nakedfrog

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Shitlibs always looking down on others. People are waking up thanks to shitlibs. Great job. Keep up the snobbery.

Holy crap. You ran into this thread and proceeded to prove everything he said 100% correct.

Who wants to talk to anyone who talks like you? Seriously? Knee-jerk emotional, narrow minded, incapable of listening to contrary evidence, hateful, miserable, and just stupid.

"MSM Ratings" are down because LITERALLY NO ONE is watching cable/broadcast TV outside of low IQ boomers who can't understand streaming services.

Guess who the number one internet news is?

Go on. Guess.

Screenshot 2021-10-25 121039.jpgOops.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Holy crap. You ran into this thread and proceeded to prove everything he said 100% correct.

Who wants to talk to anyone who talks like you? Seriously? Knee-jerk emotional, narrow minded, incapable of listening to contrary evidence, hateful, miserable, and just stupid.

"MSM Ratings" are down because LITERALLY NO ONE is watching cable/broadcast TV outside of low IQ boomers who can't understand streaming services.

Guess who the number one internet news is?

Go on. Guess.

View attachment 51898Oops.

Lotta people who sound just like him get posted on the Herman Cain Award subreddit...

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Nope, just take a good look around. No one trusts the establishment media, their ratings are down. No one trusts politicians. Fauci is being criticized left and right. All thanks to the establishment over reaching. And their little leftist henchmen doing their dirty work. It's a sad state of affairs when liberals are turned into pawns of the establishment instead of fighting the establishment. Where the hell are the liberals who fought to the little man?

Oops.

Screenshot 2021-10-25 121039.jpg

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Shitlibs always looking down on others. People are waking up thanks to shitlibs. Great job. Keep up the snobbery.
Actually this is someone raised conservative and religious, who, along with her sister, realized how fucked up these people are - racist, intolerant and ignorant.

Nov 29, 2006
I live in KC and have been to Arkansas a few times for kayaking etc. Once you leave the KC metro into KS, or MO...or AR. Its regressives everywhere. Southern MO and AR seem a bit worse than KS, but KS is not far behind im sure. Lots of Trump, Don't Tread on Me, Confederate flags everywhere.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I live in KC and have been to Arkansas a few times for kayaking etc. Once you leave the KC metro into KS, or MO...or AR. Its regressives everywhere. Southern MO and AR seem a bit worse than KS, but KS is not far behind im sure. Lots of Trump, Dont Tread on Me, Confederate flags eveywhere.
She did mention kayaking in Arkansas as one of the nice outdoor activities they went there to do along with camping and hiking.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I live in KC and have been to Arkansas a few times for kayaking etc. Once you leave the KC metro into KS, or MO...or AR. Its regressives everywhere. Southern MO and AR seem a bit worse than KS, but KS is not far behind im sure. Lots of Trump, Don't Tread on Me, Confederate flags everywhere.

Wisconsin checking in!