I just found another program we can cut from the budget.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: tk149
Originally posted by: Craig234
[What kind of person on welfare needs a phone 24/7? Drug dealer? I am not advocating that they do not get a phone at all. I am saying that they can get a 911 only cellphone, and beyond that they can pay for service like the rest of us schmucks.

I am not arguing semantics. I am disagreeing with your idea of rights. Prove that a phone is a right, and we can stop arguing.

Why don't you go and ask Ronald Reagan, look up the history, of when the bill was passed in his administration (for then-land lines)?

So Ronny fvcked up? I can't ask him, he's dead. Maybe I can ask Nancy to hook me up with a psychic.

Bolded to offer training wheels for your reading.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Hacp

They aren't necessary. They are useful, but not necessary.

Necessary is not required for society to decide to provide it. Handicapped parking spots and access are not necessary, either. They don't *have* to go out to those places.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil
Originally posted by: JKing106
Originally posted by: JKing106
And while we're at it, let's disband our Military. That would save us billions. Make 'em get a real job. Fuck 'em. I'm tired of feeding and providing free health care to their asses. Make 'em get a real job at Walmart. I need a cheerful smile when I walk in.

Great idea. You can start right now. Go to the nearest military base with an axe and start chopping at the barracks.

Better to take an axe to their budgets. Just like Neocons do to social programs. That'll make them get real jobs!

Which social programs have the neocons cut? Please be specific. I seem to remember GWB creating a massive social program in the medicare drug program.

Too many to list, and you have hardly shown yourself to respond to the info when provided anyway - but on the Medicare drug benefit, that was an example of the massive corruption of the Republican party. They pushed the pharmaceutical industry to donate far more to them than Democrats - the industry became their biggest donor - and so they wanted to pay them off in a very corrupt manner with *hundreds of billions* of tax dollars from the suckers.

So they grabbed ahold of the political cover of 'drugs for the elderly!' and designed a program that was very corrupt - many seniors had to pay MORE under their program, but it wasn't enough just to generate hundreds of billions in profitable business for the industry, they put in the restriction that the government was banned from negotiating prices - adding hundreds of billions in pure theft to the bill's cost.

The bill was railroaded through with leadership backing by a Congressman - in an ugly process that for the first time in history, when they lost the vote - even some 'real' Republicans couldn't stomach the taxpayer abuse - they simply extended the vote several hours all night long, with leaders walking the floor twisting the arms of Republicans, with a story of telling one that his son's run for Congress would either get a big cash donation and help if he changed his vote, or his son's career would be blackballed if he did not.

Within days after the billl passed, that Congressman left office to a waiting position in the pharmaceutical industry for his work. WHo was he representing - constituents?

So, tell us some more about your Republican/'neocon' social programs.

Noting the lack of response from FNE.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
Many are fixating on the Cellphone=Priviledge. If it's cheaper than a Landline, then it's not a "Priviledge", it's simply more Cost Effective.

A land line is a privilege too. A cellphone may be cheaper than a landline, but why are we paying for someone else's non-emergency calls in the first place? I can see a possible case for disabled people, but not welfare queens.

Maybe we should provide free broadband internet and a free PC to everyone too. Oh wait, that's next...

Emergency Services, call a Dr, call Welfare/whoever provides their Service(s), call for Job, etc etc. You are being ridiculous as well.

There are these things called friends with phones, and pay phones. Phones (cell or land line) are not a right, they're a convenience. Again, any cellphone (which can be had for FREE or cheap) will dial 911, so your argument for emergency services is incorrect. The rest is just convenience. There are Pay-as-you-go phones for things like that.

Insufficient. Pay Phones are becoming rare, friends don't hang out 24/7.

Now you're just arguing semantics. The way the program is implemented may not be the cheapest now, but probably was when it was drawn up. Cellphone plans are changing constantly, but no matter what, Phone Service will always be provided to those on Welfare/Assistance.

What kind of person on welfare needs a phone 24/7? Drug dealer? I am not advocating that they do not get a phone at all. I am saying that they can get a 911 only cellphone, and beyond that they can pay for service like the rest of us schmucks.

I am not arguing semantics. I am disagreeing with your idea of rights. Prove that a phone is a right, and we can stop arguing.

"911, what's your Emergency?"
"I need to make an appointment with my Doctor."

"This is not an emergency. Why don't you borrow a friend's phone, or walk down to the payphone and make the call?"

They're not limiting this free phone program to disabled people. If it means so much to you, donate YOUR time and YOUR money to provide free phone service. Quit using mine. You still haven't proven that a phone is a right. There are billions of people in the world without a private phone. They somehow manage to survive.

This is why you're being ridiculous. You are not interested in Cost, but in Punishment.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Necessary is not required for society to decide to provide it. Handicapped parking spots and access are not necessary, either. They don't *have* to go out to those places.

Hey, if you want to pay for other people's cell phone bills, mine is 40 bucks a month. I accept paypal, money orders, checks, cash, and Tbills.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I don't understand why we're giving welfare to military personnel and defense contractors. Slash the defense budget in half, make those people find a real job instead. I'm tired of my taxes cutting their paychecks.

I'm not sure how much this "cell phone welfare" costs, but I'm sure it's not $500,000,000,000 per year.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
I don't understand why we're giving welfare to military personnel and defense contractors. Slash the defense budget in half, make those people find a real job instead. I'm tired of my taxes cutting their paychecks.

I'm not sure how much this "cell phone welfare" costs, but I'm sure it's not $500,000,000,000 per year.

Just out of curiosity, what is it you do?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Just out of curiosity, what is it you do?
You mean besides neffing and living in my parent's basement?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Hey, if you want to pay for other people's cell phone bills, mine is 40 bucks a month. I accept paypal, money orders, checks, cash, and Tbills.

How much money did you make last year? If you won't answer, no phone.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Seriously, it costs the government next to nothing for these phones, and people on disability have a fixed income which doesn't always allow them to have what they may consider frivolous spending.

If one of these phones can prevent one high cost emergency room runs they could probably pay for an entire states phone bills for at least a year.

Do you know how cheap a basic phone with 65 minutes is? I could get a tracfone for >10 with that kind of plan. Plus the government has massive buying power, and this looks like a good will act to the cell phone companies so there is more incentive to keep costs down.
If it's not high enough on their priority list that they will pay for this luxury themselves, why should I pay for it for them? I went through five years as a grad student on a fixed income without a cell phone because I couldn't afford it.

If it costs "next to nothing," then why doesn't the government just issue everyone a cell phone? I'm sick of this line of reasoning. The government does not have ANY money. Therefore, they should not be paying for things, even if these things cost "next to nothing."

Being disabled isn't the same as you choosing to go to grad school and not have a well paying job :roll: