I just found another program we can cut from the budget.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: brandonbull
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Originally posted by: loki8481
awesome edit in the OP too, nice to just cut out the part about the person in question being disabled.
What difference does that make? Why does a disabled person have a right to a free cell phone on my dime? I'm going to be disabled when my head explodes from reading about all of the creative ways the government has found to give away money that it doesn't even have.

Seriously, it costs the government next to nothing for these phones, and people on disability have a fixed income which doesn't always allow them to have what they may consider frivolous spending.

If one of these phones can prevent one high cost emergency room runs they could probably pay for an entire states phone bills for at least a year.

Do you know how cheap a basic phone with 65 minutes is? I could get a tracfone for >10 with that kind of plan. Plus the government has massive buying power, and this looks like a good will act to the cell phone companies so there is more incentive to keep costs down.

That's great. Since a tracphone is so cheap, you won't mind getting the monthly bill for all 1.5 million users.

Our nation has created a segment of weasels and called them citizens.

Our nation has created a segment of parasites that feel the need to get every luxury without paying the cost for them. No money, no phone. The world is a shitty place and I don't work and do without many luxuries so others can get them for free.

You get some used phone and zero minutes. 9-1-1 works without the need for minutes.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: spittledip
All you people confuse need with convenience. Just b/c you can call for an ambulance faster doesn't make it a need. I have yet to NEED a cell phone. I never will NEED a cell phone. The chances of me getting into a situation where my life or someone else's depend upon the use of a cell phone are very very low.

Does one Need a Phone?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Originally posted by: loki8481
awesome edit in the OP too, nice to just cut out the part about the person in question being disabled.
What difference does that make? Why does a disabled person have a right to a free cell phone on my dime? I'm going to be disabled when my head explodes from reading about all of the creative ways the government has found to give away money that it doesn't even have.

Seriously, it costs the government next to nothing for these phones, and people on disability have a fixed income which doesn't always allow them to have what they may consider frivolous spending.

If one of these phones can prevent one high cost emergency room runs they could probably pay for an entire states phone bills for at least a year.

Do you know how cheap a basic phone with 65 minutes is? I could get a tracfone for >10 with that kind of plan. Plus the government has massive buying power, and this looks like a good will act to the cell phone companies so there is more incentive to keep costs down.

That's great. Since a tracphone is so cheap, you won't mind getting the monthly bill for all 1.5 million users.

Our nation has created a segment of weasels and called them citizens.

Our nation has created a segment of parasites that feel the need to get every luxury without paying the cost for them. No money, no phone. The world is a shitty place and I don't work and do without many luxuries so others can get them for free.

You get some used phone and zero minutes. 9-1-1 works without the need for minutes.

ridiculous :roll:

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski
Many are fixating on the Cellphone=Priviledge. If it's cheaper than a Landline, then it's not a "Priviledge", it's simply more Cost Effective.

A land line is a privilege too. A cellphone may be cheaper than a landline, but why are we paying for someone else's non-emergency calls in the first place? I can see a possible case for disabled people, but not welfare queens.

Maybe we should provide free broadband internet and a free PC to everyone too. Oh wait, that's next...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: tk149
Many are fixating on the Cellphone=Priviledge. If it's cheaper than a Landline, then it's not a "Priviledge", it's simply more Cost Effective.

A land line is a privilege too. A cellphone may be cheaper than a landline, but why are we paying for someone else's non-emergency calls in the first place? I can see a possible case for disabled people, but not welfare queens.

Maybe we should provide free broadband internet and a free PC to everyone too. Oh wait, that's next...

Emergency Services, call a Dr, call Welfare/whoever provides their Service(s), call for Job, etc etc. You are being ridiculous as well.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Maybe someone can help me; I searched and couldn't find it myself.

I wanted to find the part of the constitution where the Federal Government is directed to hand out cell phones.

TIA

:shrug;

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Modelworks
The person I signed up worked for over 45 years, she is 78 now and paid into social security the entire time. She now gets the benefit of a massive $648 social security + medicare that cost her $89 every month out of that $648. We shouldn't help people like this though, lets just kill them since they are a drain on your pocket.
My grandparents are 85 and 83 and have lived their entire lives without cell phones. Simply because something exists doesn't mean the government should be supplying it to everyone and their brother on a whim. How long until the government decided a netbook is a necessity for disabled people? TV? Car?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
I don't see the need for this program. People survived without cell phones before they were invented and without landline phones before they were invented. Why do people need cell phones? I don't even own one b/c it is an unnecessary expense... and I don't like the idea of being pestered all the time by people calling me on the phone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not give me that shit, true tale, my mother had her gut rupture and when she tried to use her landline phone to call, for help, it turns out a squirrel chewed through her land line phone line, she ended up crawling to a neighbor house over a block away, running a high fever all the way, to get help. She survived the emergency operation, but you don't even want to know the kind of medicaid bills she racks up each year, year after year, because she could not get help when she needed it.

What in the world are you talking about??!?!?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spiddledip asks what am I talking about?????????????????

Sadly, its my daily reality and a true story, and cheer up spiddledip, because my MOM was unable to get help when she needed it, and is on medicare, your tax payer funds are helping to fund the 3K/wk it now costs to keep her alive. They just put her back in the hospital today due to complications due to that emergency operation 15 years ago, and if timely help had been available then, none of this would of been necessary.

Now that she is back in a hospital, its probably more like 6K a week.

Preventive medicine is ever so much more cost effective, and you advocate saving $50.00
a year and then spending $150K/yr to fix the fuck up. Sad to say, that is the present reality, in just one case, multiply that times all the other similar cases and you can award yourself the stooge of the decade award.

Sorry for your mother's incident and continued problems. You have to admit that is a strange set of coincidences that the landline was chewed through at the same time she needed the phone for an emergency. Very odd indeed. Who's to say that cellular service wouldn't go down in the same type of situation? Cell phone service is still horrible in the States. At work today, I was just talking to a guy on his cell phone and could not understand a word.. then it went dead. He had to call back on the landline, of course.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
All you people confuse need with convenience. Just b/c you can call for an ambulance faster doesn't make it a need. I have yet to NEED a cell phone. I never will NEED a cell phone. The chances of me getting into a situation where my life or someone else's depend upon the use of a cell phone are very very low.

Does one Need a Phone?

I already said "No"

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Does one Need a Phone?

I already said "No"

Then you are simply wrong.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Modelworks
The person I signed up worked for over 45 years, she is 78 now and paid into social security the entire time. She now gets the benefit of a massive $648 social security + medicare that cost her $89 every month out of that $648. We shouldn't help people like this though, lets just kill them since they are a drain on your pocket.
My grandparents are 85 and 83 and have lived their entire lives without cell phones. Simply because something exists doesn't mean the government should be supplying it to everyone and their brother on a whim. How long until the government decided a netbook is a necessity for disabled people? TV? Car?

I bet they had a Landline though. People need to quit throwing "Luxury"/"Priviledge" around, it simply is a Pavlovian term with no real meaning in this discussion. Do you think these people are living it up simply because their phone isn't connected to a Wall Jack?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Its one thing to be in perfect health and not need any medical care, the reality for most people under 65, but past that age, if some of you cheapies are lucky enough to live that long, health care is what keeps the aged alive. Try that past 65 perspective, maybe you too will change your mind.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
I cant believe that people still don't understand that whole "Quality of Life" aspect of society and how societies and civilizations evolve.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
I don't see the need for this program. People survived without cell phones before they were invented and without landline phones before they were invented. Why do people need cell phones? I don't even own one b/c it is an unnecessary expense... and I don't like the idea of being pestered all the time by people calling me on the phone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not give me that shit, true tale, my mother had her gut rupture and when she tried to use her landline phone to call, for help, it turns out a squirrel chewed through her land line phone line, she ended up crawling to a neighbor house over a block away, running a high fever all the way, to get help. She survived the emergency operation, but you don't even want to know the kind of medicaid bills she racks up each year, year after year, because she could not get help when she needed it.

And if you don't want to get incoming calls on your cell phone, do what I do, don't turn the cell phone on unless you want to make an outgoing phone call, and don't set up a voice mail box. There is even a do not call list for cell phone numbers now to stop telemarketers using cell phone numbers, just call 1-800-call fcc to find the number to call.

Is there some reason why YOU couldn't purchase your mother a cell phone and pay for it? Only care about her when its paid for with other people's money?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I bet they had a Landline though. People need to quit throwing "Luxury"/"Priviledge" around, it simply is a Pavlovian term with no real meaning in this discussion. Do you think these people are living it up simply because their phone isn't connected to a Wall Jack?
Yes, they have a landline. They used to share a party line. What's your point? Should the government simply take over landlines and make sure there's one in every abode that's working at all times? Should they take over cell phone companies so that everyone has one? Free Skype for everyone?

Luxury is a valid term in this debate, as with any debate about what the government should or should not be spending my money on. If you want to throw my money around, the onus is on you: why should we do it? Why is it the role of government to make sure that everyone has access to a private cell phone?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yes, they have a landline. They used to share a party line. What's your point? Should the government simply take over landlines and make sure there's one in every abode that's working at all times? Should they take over cell phone companies so that everyone has one? Free Skype for everyone?

Luxury is a valid term in this debate, as with any debate about what the government should or should not be spending my money on. If you want to throw my money around, the onus is on you: why should we do it? Why is it the role of government to make sure that everyone has access to a private cell phone?

Negative. A Phone is Essential and a $ Saver. You'll find that most(if not All)Welfare/similar Agencies provide extra Funding for a Phone. If a Cellphone is cheaper, then it is the more logical choice.

It is not a "Luxury", you are being ridiculous.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
I know another that can be cut: Government health plans. Make Congress pay out of pocket to private insurance providers who a part of "the best medical care in the world." They can fucking afford it. Also, cut Congress' pensions. Fucking deadbeats, they made enough while in office, and the bribes from "lobbies."

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

And if you don't want to get incoming calls on your cell phone, do what I do, don't turn the cell phone on unless you want to make an outgoing phone call, and don't set up a voice mail box. There is even a do not call list for cell phone numbers now to stop telemarketers using cell phone numbers, just call 1-800-call fcc to find the number to call.

Is there some reason why YOU couldn't purchase your mother a cell phone and pay for it? Only care about her when its paid for with other people's money?

Don't drive on my fucking road, don't send your kids to my school, and don't call my fucking cops or fire department. Or are you a fucking hypocrite, and use those services?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: JKing106
I know another that can be cut: Government health plans. Make Congress pay out of pocket to private insurance providers who a part of "the best medical care in the world." They can fucking afford it. Also, cut Congress' pensions. Fucking deadbeats, they made enough while in office, and the bribes from "lobbies."

Actually, that's a great idea. Medicare and Medicaid make up a huge part of our current deficit.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Let's also cut public schools, public transportation, and the police and fire deparments. Can't pay? Fuck you. And fuck everybody's grandmother, too. I'm not paying for nursing home. She ain't shit to me. Do us a favor, and shoot her. More money for me!

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
And while we're at it, let's disband our Military. That would save us billions. Make 'em get a real job. Fuck 'em. I'm tired of feeding and providing free health care to their asses. Make 'em get a real job at Walmart. I need a cheerful smile when I walk in.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
And while we're at it, let's disband our Military. That would save us billions. Make 'em get a real job. Fuck 'em. I'm tired of feeding and providing free health care to their asses. Make 'em get a real job at Walmart. I need a cheerful smile when I walk in.

Great idea. You can start right now. Go to the nearest military base with an axe and start chopping at the barracks.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
The only thing US government will do is keep growing and growing for the most part. As long as some suckers oversea keep borrowing us money and we spent like there is no tomorrow.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Originally posted by: Hacp

Great idea. You can start right now. Go to the nearest military base with an axe and start chopping at the barracks.

Better to take an axe to their budgets. Just like Neocons do to social programs. That'll make them get real jobs!

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: tk149

Emergency Services, call a Dr, call Welfare/whoever provides their Service(s), call for Job, etc etc. You are being ridiculous as well.

There are these things called friends with phones, and pay phones. Phones (cell or land line) are not a right, they're a convenience. Again, any cellphone (which can be had for FREE or cheap) will dial 911, so your argument for emergency services is incorrect. The rest is just convenience. There are Pay-as-you-go phones for things like that.