I hate you george lucas

Mar 11, 2004
Don't forget Indiana Jones.

Of course, they probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for him either, so meh, we're even.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
I hate this line of thinking. The originals are still there and available for you to watch and dribble over. If he hadn't made the newer ones you would be sitting there rewatching that old VHS tape over and over again whilst dressed in nothing but your dressing gown turned inside out and waving that painted celery stick at the Darth Vader poster on your wall.

You can still do those things.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Don't forget Indiana Jones.

Of course, they probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for him either, so meh, we're even.

not entirely, as we've learned the first ones were only good as he had less power, others fixed and smoothed over his deficiencies, once he got a chance to make stuff that was truly his..it became crap.

Mar 11, 2004
not entirely, as we've learned the first ones were only good as he had less power, others fixed and smoothed over his deficiencies, once he got a chance to make stuff that was truly his..it became crap.

Yeah, I'm not saying they're great just because of him, but he had a big enough part that without him, things would have been very different, and not just Star Wars and Indiana Jones. ILM was obviously big in special effects, and Pixar was spun off of (well bought by Steve Jobs) Lucasfilm so that's signficiant as well. Lucas Arts too (they've given us some good games). He also had a hand in Labyrinth and Willow.

I'd say that so far we're still better off for his contributions.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I hate you Sea Moose!

George Lucas.

:p

Reality time, srsly. George Lucas made movies that were cool and made money. Cool is good, money is king. Lucas doesn't care what you or I or anyone else think. I don't know if you've seen the redlettermedia review of "Phantom Menace" but you should. It nails the situation perfectly. Keep on hating, but don't expect anything to change.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Na, Star Wars doesn't need Lucas- it lives on in its fans. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP9FlSqaqSI

Besides, the new movies weren't really that bad...they just weren't as good as the first ones. If you look at them independently, there are a lot of really brilliant bits. I'm in the process of watching them again for the first time in several years...just watched TPM. When you watch, see what should have been...works for me.

If you're really interested in the SW universe or the related psychology, you could check out The Phandom Menace. It's a documentary about a fan club in Australia and how TPM affected them.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
When he's dead maybe somebody will make another string of SW movies. And maybe those ones will be worth a shit.

I dunno, I never really cared for them but I think Mr. Plinkett made me hate them as much as he does :p

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
When he's dead maybe somebody will make another string of SW movies. And maybe those ones will be worth a shit.

I dunno, I never really cared for them but I think Mr. Plinkett made me hate them as much as he does :p

I wonder if they will ever do a 7 8 and 9

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I wonder if they will ever do a 7 8 and 9

Who knows. The problem right now with the SW universe is it's been filled out a lot by games, books and such. So depending on the story you want to tell it could be a PITA to make one that flows with the established lore. But if they want to make another SW movie just connected to the other movies, then it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Personally I'd like to see the first 3 episodes basically trashed and restarted. The story of Anakin's training could be a good one if it's done right. There's no reason to have a entire build up movie just to meet the little kid version of Anakin at the end. You can establish how Anakin was a slave taken away from his mother in the first 10-20 minutes of the move, and then have the rest of the 1st movie centered around a young Anakin that's showing more promise than any other young Jedi.

You can have him be an outcast... others make fun of him for being a filthy slave they dug out of the dirt. He gets mad and beats the shit out of some kid, maybe even kills him by accident. This is the first taste of showing Anakin may have a dark streak. Normally with this kind of behavior he'd be booted immediately from the Academy, but his power is so great that the Jedi keep him on. In the back of their mind they know there's a secret looming Sith threat that they haven't yet found, and they need an extremely powerful Jedi on their side. So insead Anakin gets special solo traning from none other than Obi Wan, maybe even watched over by Yoda from time to time. Because of this 1 on 1 training Obi Wan and Anakin become great friends.

Meanwhile you have this Senator who works very closely with the Jedi. He respects them and they work together to get the Jedi to be an integral part of the system... they're supposed to be a keeper of the peace. Without some political plug they might not be trusted by the senate. So this senator helps them be understood by the masses, and the Jedi help by curbing any violence or wars that other factions may wage on the various systems. Let's call this senator... I dunno, maybe Palpatine.

Certain assignments are tough, so advanced Jedi are sent on them. Obi Wan and Anakin are the dream team in this regard. They don't get separated... ever... unlike how they did in the prequels. Palpatine hears these stories and becomes quite interested in Anakin. Behind the Jedi Councel's back Palpatine has little one on one talks with Anakin during down times. Asks him his backgound, etc... generally just acting like a grandfather. He's very forgiving, seems trustworthy, and because Anakin has no family he connects with this kind hearted old man quite easily. Eventually he lets slip that during his youth he hurt another Jedi. After some time Palpatine convinces Anakin that this was in self defense, and not true hate or rage. The universe wanted to punish this kid for being a bully, and he got what was coming to him. This is the beginning of when Palpatine blurs the line of anger/rage/revenge and Anakins morals and training. If this kid was truly as wicked as he acted, how could I be at fault for stopping him? Is it not what I've been doing all along as a keeper of the peace?

This is also the beginning of where Anakin starts to question the Jedi ways. They start to seem counter-intuitive, and not easy to follow. Why do they consider it wrong to hurt a bully who deserved his punishment, but perfectly fine to take part in battles when needed? Either way you're fighting to prevent others from getting hurt further, so what's the big deal? Eventually this questioning leads to Anakin siding with Palpatine. He's convinced the Jedi way is not the way things should be ran. He helps Palpatine establish an empire and disperse the Jedi. Without his knowing the Empire is taking part in murdering the Jedi by the thousands.

Obi Wan is tasked with stopping this new threat, and unfortunately his good friend is standing in his way. Anakin is protecting Palpatine, who he feels is the only family he has at this point. They fight, Anakin loses, Obi Wan is no match for Emperor who up until this moment didn't know he knew he was a Sith Lord. Obi Wan barely escapes with his life. Palpatine "fixes" Anakin who needs artificial limbs and robotic life support to survive.

*sorry that was so long... but once I started writing it all clicked. This was all written over my morning coffee so it's not complete and may not make 100% sense, but it's NOT hard to write this character in a better way

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
There's a lot wrong with the Star Wars prequels, simple from a production standpoint. What makes them unique in the realm of bad film-making is we have something to compare them too.

Lucas is not a good director, nor is he good at writing dialogue and screenplays. He's real talent lies in producing. He's a visionary. Unfortunately, he is notorious at micromanaging his projects instead of trusting in his team's own talent and experience. That's what kills his movies.

The prequels were lazily made films, no doubt. Although Lucas likes to pretend he's at the cutting edge of film, he isn't. Episodes I-III were made the same way King Kong was in 1933. Everything was done on a soundstage. Backdrops were replaced with green screen and claymation with CGI. Few actual sets were built, unlike the original movies. The Death Star looked real, because it was. Same thing with location shooting. While it's difficult, it really polishes a film up. Star Wars wasn't supposed to be stylized. So the prequels look fake.

Which leads me to the overuse of CGI. It hadn't matured enough by 1999 to add true realism. Even by 2005, the CGI Lucas was using was behind. There are a few jarring moments of bad effects in the film that really take you out of the picture. In Episode III, Temuera Morrison (as Commander Cody) is seen talking to Ewan McGregor. For some odd reason. Lucus decided to stick Morrison's head on a CGI body, instead of using the actor in costume. It's very noticeable and adds to the cartoony veneer of the films. Something I don't think they were shooting for.

Overall, the films feel like little effort was put into them. That's what really ruined them. You can always tell when the film-maker is uninterested.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Yeah, the not hard part is what made the prequels so frustrating. So many decisions which made no sense. It literally felt like a child was in control of the whole thing.

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
I think all Star Wars fans envisioned the first three movies would be different.

The first movie would show Anakin learning to be a Jedi.
Second movie he would start his turn to the darkside.
Third movie would be Darth Vader hunting down and killing off the Jedi.

These would all be set against the backdrop of the Clone Wars.

I so wanted to see a fully evil sith lord Vader battling Jedi... All we got was Anakin killing a few young Jedi. The rest of the Jedi were killed by the clone army. That totally sucked. I felt so ripped off.

By the way what the hell was up with them introducing R2 and C3PO in the first movie. Makes no sense that those droids would still be in service after all those years. Think about it, they were around when Anakin was 10yrs old or so. Then he probably was around 20 when he became Luke's Father, then they were still in service by the time Luke turned 20 or so. That makes them anywhere from 30-40 yrs old. What technology doesn't become obsolete in 30-40 yrs? It would be like us still driving Ford Model-T cars. And in all that time they couldn't put a voice synthesizer upgrade into R2 to make him talk? Or how about some display screen so you can read what he is saying?

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Gorcorps, no need to apologize. That's a much better setup than we got in the movies. You should do something with it.

The prequels really lacked the old future feel which was such a big part of the success of the first three. Contrast swamps on Naboo with Dagobah, Anakin's pod with Luke's X-Wing, and Padme's ship with Leia's.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
By the way what the hell was up with them introducing R2 and C3PO in the first movie. Makes no sense that those droids would still be in service after all those years. Think about it, they were around when Anakin was 10yrs old or so. Then he probably was around 20 when he became Luke's Father, then they were still in service by the time Luke turned 20 or so. That makes them anywhere from 30-40 yrs old. What technology doesn't become obsolete in 30-40 yrs? It would be like us still driving Ford Model-T cars. And in all that time they couldn't put a voice synthesizer upgrade into R2 to make him talk? Or how about some display screen so you can read what he is saying?

:hmm: I didn't even think about this... there were so many other things off with that movie that this completely escaped me. You're right... droids actually seemed to go backwards in the case of R2 units. In the prequels R2-D2 had jets or something and could fly around and garbage. It seemed he could do even more stuff than normal in the prequels.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Lusas is a brilliant story writer.

He is a lousy screen writer.

reminds me of the Starcraft 2 story, briefly.

why the frk'n hay are people so excited about the Kerrigan Terran-victory?

She murdered leaders and destroyed Protoss/Terran worlds.

Why would entire Terran fleets be risked to save an infested?

It's so stupid, and a terrible story continuation of SC Broodwar.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I hate this line of thinking. The originals are still there and available for you to watch and dribble over. If he hadn't made the newer ones you would be sitting there rewatching that old VHS tape over and over again whilst dressed in nothing but your dressing gown turned inside out and waving that painted celery stick at the Darth Vader poster on your wall.

You can still do those things.

The point of the OP is, you are WRONG. The originals are NOT available and Lucas refuses to release them again.

If Lucas has his way, you'll NEVER get the original theatrical releases on Blu-Ray.

He absolutely destroyed the movies with the "special editions." He claims that this is his original vision, finally realized...cramming fucktons of nasty CGI into every shot and making Greedo shoot first...ugh.

Fans DEMANDED that the theatrical version be released and execs saw dollar signs. They went to Lucas, but he gave some bullshit excuse about the original film being cut to hell and back and it's impossible to release a theatrical version. They had to use the laserdisc to source the DVD release.

That's right, they didn't use the 35mm film source, they used THE LASERDISC version.

Last edited:

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
The point of the OP is, you are WRONG. The originals are NOT available and Lucas refuses to release them again.

If Lucas has his way, you'll NEVER get the original theatrical releases on Blu-Ray.

He absolutely destroyed the movies with the "special editions." He claims that this is his original vision, finally realized...cramming fucktons of nasty CGI into every shot and making Greedo shoot first...ugh.

Fans DEMANDED that the theatrical version be released and execs saw dollar signs. They went to Lucas, but he gave some bullshit excuse about the original film being cut to hell and back and it's impossible to release a theatrical version. They had to use the laserdisc to source the DVD release.

That's right, they didn't use the 35mm film source, they used THE LASERDISC version.

So what? You can still watch the damn film - anyone saying "He absolutely destroyed the movies" is just being an obsessive idiot with no sense of perspective.