I Don't Know If Joe Can Do It

Page 88 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
^ THIS so much! It’s driving me nuts. Good, normally reputable news outlets are curb stomping him. Eff that. I mean, like NBC - totally clueless on the facts; they are getting all kinds of stuff on Covid wrong - and then saying people are confused ; they would't be I’d you did your f**king job! Biden making ONE mistake isn’t the cause of these problems. And, US selling Nuclear subs to Australia - what, is Reuters to complicated for you??? Time to flush them all. The French have recalled their ambassador - can Biden keep NATO together over this unrelenting feud; yes you damn retards, yes he can - because we are STILL their last best hope in restraining Russian aggression in its various forms.

I'm stopping before I have a stroke.

Yeah this is the media's both sides "fairness" bias. They think that since they were 97% negative on Trump, which was based on the facts, that they've got to be at least 50/50 neg/pos on Biden in order to be "fair."

When are they going to learn that you report facts and reasonable analysis based on said facts. You don't try to "balance" things just for the sake of your image. Conservatives are never giving them their business no matter what.

It's the same reason there were over 1000 articles on Clinton's buttery mails which was the lamest "scandal" I've ever seen in a presidential election.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah this is the media's both sides "fairness" bias. They think that since they were 97% negative on Trump, which was based on the facts, that they've got to be at least 50/50 neg/pos on Biden in order to be "fair."

When are they going to learn that you report facts and reasonable analysis based on said facts. You don't try to "balance" things just for the sake of your image. Conservatives are never giving them their business no matter what.

It's the same reason there were over 1000 articles on Clinton's buttery mails which was the lamest "scandal" I've ever seen in a presidential election.

Did you miss the great Tan Suit disaster?

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Joe Biden is not a loser. He just gets bashed incessantly by many news outlets.

I agree with you on Kamala Harris. I feel at this time, she is dead weight. But that could also be by design.

She went to Mexico and Guatemala in June and did not impress me. Jimmy Carter can speak passable Spanish and did so during his 1976 presidential campaign which excited many Puerto Ricans and other Spanish-speakers on the mainland U.S.

But Harris does not seem to be able to utter a word of the world's third most spoken language.

The reason why Biden's agenda seems to be dead is because of defectors in Biden's own party. And it is a shame.

But remember, it took a titanic effort for the Obama-Biden administration to get the Affordable Care Act passed. So many Dems in the House were terrified of losing their seats. Many lost them anyway.

I am not going to bash Dr. Jill Biden. She has legitimate achievements as did Michelle Obama.

Melania Trump? She is younger, had major plastic surgery and has big fake boobs. It's not so much that we heard from Melania. It's that news media was fascinated with her.

I'm not giving up on President Biden. The alternative is too horrible.
I would not label him as a "loser". However, he certainly has not accomplished his agenda either. Now, I am not saying it is his fault, but kind of like Bill Bellicek said "you are what your record says you are". Lets look at the record:

1. Covid-- almost under control in early summer, but now running rampant again. Main reason is republican stubbornness against masks and vaccination, but Biden and the CDC seem to have almost given up as well.
2. Economy: inflation has not gone away, workers are in short supply, supply chain is a disaster.
3. The Border: A complete disaster. Where is Kamala-- I thought she was supposed to be in charge of this.
4. Afghanistan: right decision, but horrible execution
5. Infrastructure being sabotaged by both the Republicans and his own party.

And for heaven's sake, I wish the man could give a speech without blundering and appearing angry all the time. I like most of his policies, but simply cannot listen to him talk.

I predict the Republicans will take both houses of Congress in the mid-terms and the presidency in 2024. Only chance the dems have in 2024 is a younger, charismatic candidate. Does anyone really believe Biden (will be 82) or Harris can win?

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
1. Covid-- almost under control in early summer, but now running rampant again. Main reason is republican stubbornness against masks and vaccination, but Biden and the CDC seem to have almost given up as well.

It was not almost under control. The virus was actively circulating amongst millions of unvaccinated people, and then the delta variant hit. This happened all across the world.

U.S. overall covid numbers are rapidly improving. How has Biden given up?

Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I would not label him as a "loser". However, he certainly has not accomplished his agenda either. Now, I am not saying it is his fault, but kind of like Bill Bellicek said "you are what your record says you are". Lets look at the record:

Huh? He’s taken a number of large steps including a mandate for all businesses with more than 100 employees. Numbers are in steep decline all over the country.

How is what you’re saying connected to reality in any way?

2. Economy: inflation has not gone away, workers are in short supply, supply chain is a disaster.
Inflation is declining and will continue to decline, which overall is probably bad in the long run as regular Americans could really use sustained higher inflation.

3. The Border: A complete disaster. Where is Kamala-- I thought she was supposed to be in charge of this.
I agree this situation isn’t good.
Execution seemed fine to me. I have yet to see a critique of how it would have been meaningfully better that didn’t rely on magical thinking or hand waving problems away.
I predict both bills are passed within the next month or so.

And for heaven's sake, I wish the man could give a speech without blundering and appearing angry all the time. I like most of his policies, but simply cannot listen to him talk.

I predict the Republicans will take both houses of Congress in the mid-terms and the presidency in 2024. Only chance the dems have in 2024 is a younger, charismatic candidate. Does anyone really believe Biden (will be 82) or Harris can win?
You spent several posts in this thread arguing Biden was not a viable candidate in 2020 and he went on to win by 7 million votes.

You: Biden is doomed in 2020!
Biden: wins.
You: well now Biden is doomed in 2024!

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

DELTA caught everyone by surprise. Multi-pronged failure by the CDC, FDA (which Biden owns as pres) and.... retarded republican politicians and states. Did you see where the spikes were the worst. Did you see which hospitals were turning away patients. It wasn't NYC, it wasn't Boston, it wasn't Seattle, etct....

Duh. You do realize that this was a World Wide disaster. Do you understand that the level of interconnected nature of the modern global economy made these very things inevitable and long lasting. The Just In Time (JIT) supply lines have at most days stock on hand, never mind warehouses with 3-6 months of inventory in the 'old' economy.

Hmm, hundreds of Americans dead?? That would be horrible. A spectacle that the whole world was watching - yes, that was very hard to swallow. Now, how many soldiers have died in Afghanistan since we left?

Agreed, Biden and the rest of the Dem leadership let the republicans take away their leverage. The Rs are the opposition, this is sort of what opposition parties do. Manchin an Sinema, OTH, need to be burned at the stake (politically). Go with the nuclear option and let them explain how they stopped Trillions of dollars from funding much neglected and new infrastructure, investments in the American people to help them see their family income grow and experience great prosperity. As sucky as this life can be at time, let's at least try to make it better. For someone aside from the 0.1% that is.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Agreed, Biden and the rest of the Dem leadership let the republicans take away their leverage. The Rs are the opposition, this is sort of what opposition parties do. Manchin an Sinema, OTH, need to be burned at the stake (politically). Go with the nuclear option and let them explain how they stopped Trillions of dollars from funding much neglected and new infrastructure, investments in the American people to help them see their family income grow and experience great prosperity. As sucky as this life can be at time, let's at least try to make it better. For someone aside from the 0.1% that is.

While this might work on Sinema, maybe, why would Manchin care what they threaten him with?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This editorial hits it right on the head:

He's fed up with these two factions of democrats posturing, threatening to block this legislation. He correctly surmises that thwarting Biden's agenda could get Trump re-elected and end democracy.

But here's what I want to focus on:

But here's the thing, Democrats. You have the power to make the economy stronger. You also have the ability to make the President more popular. By passing his damn agenda. The latest CBS poll quantifies what all of us know: the content of Biden's agenda is wildly popular. Sixty-seven percent support universal pre-K. Sixty-one percent support free community college. Seventy-three percent support paid family and medical leave. Eighty-four percent support Medicare coverage for dental, vision, and hearing. And 88% support lowering prescription drug prices under Medicare -- 88%, people.

88% support Medicare negotiating drug prices and Sinema is against it.

The whole thing is hugely popular. Just compromise and pass the damn bills people.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
This editorial hits it right on the head:

He's fed up with these two factions of democrats posturing, threatening to block this legislation. He correctly surmises that thwarting Biden's agenda could get Trump re-elected and end democracy.

But here's what I want to focus on:

88% support Medicare negotiating drug prices and Sinema is against it.

The whole thing is hugely popular. Just compromise and pass the damn bills people.
I'll have to read that when I get back home.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
On the other hand, Dems can't win a presidential election with just 50% of the vote.

Edit: Having said that, I don't know how any Democrat can be disappointed with Biden. He has been far more progressive than I ever hoped for. The only thing you can fault him on is that he hasn't yet been successful getting Manchin and Sinema on board, and I don't know how much I can blame him for that.
Manchin and Sinema are both closet Republicans.....
Of the 2 - Sinema is in this for her own political gains...she doesn't give a crap about her electorate!

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
DELTA caught everyone by surprise. Multi-pronged failure by the CDC, FDA (which Biden owns as pres) and.... retarded republican politicians and states.
Yes and no. Biden said originally, he was against vaccine mandates. Like he wanted to treat everyone with respect. Let everyone make their own choices. But the writing was on the wall, when they used relaxed mask mandates for fully vaccinated as a carrot, they should have saw MAGAtards would lie through their teeth. Unforced error for sure. Relaxed mandates should not have happen for any group.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Yes and no. Biden said originally, he was against vaccine mandates. Like he wanted to treat everyone with respect. Let everyone make their own choices. But the writing was on the wall, when they used relaxed mask mandates for fully vaccinated as a carrot, they should have saw MAGAtards would lie through their teeth. Unforced error for sure. Relaxed mandates should not have happen for any group.
I dont really blame Biden for changing his stance on vaccine mandates. He (naively perhaps) expected a much better rate of vaccination and less anti-vax pushback from the Republicans.

I agree the early relaxation of the masking guidance was, however, a serious error. It was obvious that the first to stop wearing masks would be the non-vaccinated who did not take Covid seriously or simply wanted to make Biden look bad politically.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If America was civilized there would never have been a discussion of vaccines in the first place. Because tens of millions of us are stupid and brainwashed we actually had to come up with things like mandatory masks and mandatory vaccines.

The selfish morons dont understand or dont care they are killing people who do not wish to die. I really dont understand how airborne diseases are too difficult to figure out.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
It was not almost under control. The virus was actively circulating amongst millions of unvaccinated people, and then the delta variant hit. This happened all across the world.

U.S. overall covid numbers are rapidly improving. How has Biden given up?

Wasnt it? Cases in Minnesota were down to around 100 per day at one point. I was seriously considering finding a part time job (I am retired) and going back to the gym. Now, we are averaging over 2000 cases per day, and still rising.

Nationally, yes, cases are going down, although I would not personally call it "rapid", but the 7 day moving average is still over 90,000, compared to slightly over 10k towards the end of June.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Huh? He’s taken a number of large steps including a mandate for all businesses with more than 100 employees. Numbers are in steep decline all over the country.

How is what you’re saying connected to reality in any way?

Inflation is declining and will continue to decline, which overall is probably bad in the long run as regular Americans could really use sustained higher inflation.

I agree this situation isn’t good.

Execution seemed fine to me. I have yet to see a critique of how it would have been meaningfully better that didn’t rely on magical thinking or hand waving problems away.

I predict both bills are passed within the next month or so.

You spent several posts in this thread arguing Biden was not a viable candidate in 2020 and he went on to win by 7 million votes.

You: Biden is doomed in 2020!
Biden: wins.
You: well now Biden is doomed in 2024!
Well, one never knows. Biden may have won by 7 million votes, but much fewer than that in a few swing states would have shifted the election to Trump. And to be honest, you are right, I never was a supporter of Biden, except that he was not Trump and had probably the best chance of all the Dem candidates to beat him. But to be honest, things are in a much, much worse state than I thought they would be in my most pessimistic scenarios, despite your rosy rebuttals. I also thought Kamala would step up as a good VP and viable successor to Biden in 2024, but she has been an unmitigated disaster. Now, I admit, many of the problems we have are not Biden's fault (or at least only partially his), but they still reflect very poorly on him, as proven by his poll numbers.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Wow. Ruffled a few feathers I guess. ;)
Well then, what can Biden do at this point?
Sure, it's really all the republicans fault for their gross behavior and not a single one caring about the middle class, but regardless THE AGENDA is going nowhere. If only 10 republicans would cooperate then we wouldn't need care about the two democrat holdouts. But you know what??? I bet that if a few republicans did cross over to help, I bet that even more democrats would join Manchin and Sinema with opposing. I believe there are even more democrats that would gladly join Manchin and Sinema to fuck Biden up. If there is two, you know there is more. But a as long as the two are successful then those others are keeping quite. For now.

• Haha
Reactions: Burpo

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
BuT INfLatIoN iS oUt Of CoNTrol
It is pretty bad in a few sectors, but a few sectors do not == the whole economy. So, time for a national freak out thanks to the US' impressive mass media. Everybody wants to be FOX nowadays.
I switched to watching DW news (in English from Germany) and/or NPR. I may subscribe to the NYT (online), since WASHPO is more reactionary.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It is pretty bad in a few sectors, but a few sectors do not == the whole economy. So, time for a national freak out thanks to the US' impressive mass media. Everybody wants to be FOX nowadays.
I switched to watching DW news (in English from Germany) and/or NPR. I may subscribe to the NYT (online), since WASHPO is more reactionary.
It was, although it was also coming from sectors that had experienced deflation during the pandemic like airfare, etc.

Inflation is definitely higher this year than normal overall though, although again I think some persistently >2% inflation would do the US some good as we have some catching up to do on the inflation front after years of below target performance.

Reactions: Ajay

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Inflation scaremongering is presently enjoying a good run after the "generous UI benefits suppressing employment numbers" stuff ended up being the driest of holes.
Funny how quickly that went from 'this is obvious econ 101, you fools!' to pretending that never happened.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Funny how quickly that went from 'this is obvious econ 101, you fools!' to pretending that never happened.

I mean I also would probably not remind people I got something so totally wrong after making a big deal of it for months.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Wasnt it? Cases in Minnesota were down to around 100 per day at one point. I was seriously considering finding a part time job (I am retired) and going back to the gym. Now, we are averaging over 2000 cases per day, and still rising.

Nationally, yes, cases are going down, although I would not personally call it "rapid", but the 7 day moving average is still over 90,000, compared to slightly over 10k towards the end of June.

No, not at all. The virus was actively circulating amongst a very unvaccinated population. Covid will be "almost under control" when the vast majority of Americans have immunity via infection, vaccination, or death.

Nationally, cases and deaths are down 15% compared to last week. I personally would describe that as rapid, but that's a subjective designation.