I am interested in killing a Deer with something other than my car

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: adairusmc
Originally posted by: Nebor
There is always the .22 to the head. Pretty effective.

I use a AR-15 myself, with 68 grain power points. Kind of light for mule deer, but I love the dirty looks from the elmer fudds when they see me hunting with my AR. :D

I don't deer hunt myself (I find it morally unacceptable) but I don't have a problem with people that do. I last went with my dad about 10 years ago, and I remember walking into the local diner with my AR-10 slung on my back. The fudds in the next booth said something like, "Are you having a war with the deer?"

I pointed out that my father was hunting with a customized Remington in .338 Lapua Magum, that was not only several times more powerful, but also semi-automatic.

Fudds would sell us down the river in a second. Who needs 'em.

What really gets the fudds all angry is when you run into them at a range, they scoff at our evil black rifle, and you proceed to outshoot them with open sights why they pout over their precious customized bolt rifles with expensive glass.

Yup, I've only ONCE seen someone with an "assault rifle" at my range (some guy with an SKS.)

It is the ultimate fudd club. Centerfire rifles are only to be loaded with 5 rounds at a time. No fully automatic fire is allowed. No .50 BMG is allowed. No drawing from holsters allowed. Blah blah blah. Lots of rules.

Last week I was out there shooting my SBRed PS90 w/ aimpoint micro. I went ahead and loaded 50 rounds into it and was firing on both the pistol and rifle range. At one point the ancient range master comes up and says, "What is that, a ray gun?" At which point another geezer wanders along and says, "That's the one that shoots those armor piercing bullets. That's only good for killin' people!"

I shot about 10 rounds in rapid succession, turn my head to the right to look at them and shout, "Yeah, it works great!" :)

The fudds used to love it when I'd bring my compensated FAL out. It is the absolute loudest of all my guns (guys would usually wander up from the trap range to see what the hell exploded). If someone is really being a prick I'd move to the covered bench area where muzzle blast gets really jarring. Gets some nasty looks....

They get downright grumpy when you interrupt their 1 shot every 5 minutes range ritual.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: alkemyst
I guarantee you that I get cleaner kills with my AR then they do with their .270's. Its all about shot placement, not the round. FACT = I can shoot my AR more accurately than the vast majority of bolt-gun hunters and their fancy optics.

This year I am going to hunt with my M1a though.

And no, no one can go out and hunt with a Glock .40, it is illegal here. .22 caliber centerfire is, in fact, legal.

Do not ever question my hunting experience. I have never failed to bag both a deer and an elk every year I have gotten tags. Same goes for my once in a lifetime Rocky Mountain Bighorn tag I got a few years ago, and so far I have nailed 8 mountain lion.

I would rather give up hunting all together than use a .30-06 for anything. Everyone else has one, so therefore I do not want one. - unless I was hunting with a garand. Then it would be okay.

I am questioning your hunting. You seem more a fanboy than a hunter. Oh look at me and my gun.

There is a reason everyone is probably using those 30-06's. Being you have MC in your handle, perhaps ex Marine...did you frown upon your standard issue weapon and why use an M1a then as well...many deployed worldwide of those.

Any gun can kill any animal. There is a lot to be said in doing it quickly though. You like many other there are probably into the hunt for the look rather than the prize/challenge and meat.

I hope you aren't also in the crowd that is using a telescope that can read across state lines as a scope bragging about long shots as well. Seems popular now in some circles yet they don't mention all their maimings and lack of ability to track down the injured animal.

I am more of a hunter than a fanboy. I just hate fudds, and love getting them all pissed off just because they see me hunting with that rifle. It is a reliable, accurate weapon, and as long as I use 5 round mags, who the hell cares?

The fudds that frown upon that kind of rifle are an enemy to the shooting and gun community, just ask Jim Zumbo - that dipshit got exactly what he deserved by speaking out against AR hunters. Now he is about an employable as the unabomber, as it should be. He -was- an enemy just like those same fudds, but the firearms community put him in his place where he belongs.

I am in the hunt for the meat. I have only ever taken one deer with .223, and it only ran about 20 yards before going down, dead. I call that a clean kill.

And no, I am not one of those people that brag about great shots with those fancy optics. If it cannot be done with a 4x scope or open sights, then it is not worth doing at all.

I did not frown upon my standard issue weapon, and in fact, I absolutely loved it. That is why I own 11 AR-15's myself. The only reason I am considering using the M1a this year for hunting is because I bought it recently. New toys get all the attention.

Now go and troll someone else.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." --Ted Nugent

Not to derail the thread but isn't that the same Ted Nugent that didn't shower and shit himself for a while so he would get out of being drafted by the military?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I haven't hunted in about 12 years, ever since I got my 1st job. Thats the main reason i quit, but I also didn't enjoy waking up at like 4 am, trudging through the woods in the cold and darkness, then sitting in the cold all day long, barely moving and not having anything to do but watch squirrels and birds.

Sure, its exciting if you get get a shot off or even get a deer, but I don't think that 5 minutes of excitement if worh 8 hours of being cold and bored.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: KMFJD
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." --Ted Nugent

Not to derail the thread but isn't that the same Ted Nugent that didn't shower and shit himself for a while so he would get out of being drafted by the military?

Also a big bow hunter.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
I haven't hunted in about 12 years, ever since I got my 1st job. Thats the main reason i quit, but I also didn't enjoy waking up at like 4 am, trudging through the woods in the cold and darkness, then sitting in the cold all day long, barely moving and not having anything to do but watch squirrels and birds.

Sure, its exciting if you get get a shot off or even get a deer, but I don't think that 5 minutes of excitement if worh 8 hours of being cold and bored.

For me it's a personal thing. I get more out of being in camp and just being with my father than the hunt itself. We have been going for the past 22 years and it's just tradition. Sure I fill the freezer (occasionally) but that's not what I'll remember. We hunt in the same place where his grandad taught him and I hope to pass it on to my son one day.

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003

Then you aren't doing it for the right reasons. To me anyway, the kill isn't the "be all end all" of hunting. Sure, it is nice to have some fresh meat, but that isn't the only reason I go bya long shot. I enjoy the solitude of being alone in the woods with time to think about whatever life might be throwing my way at the time. Not to mention, you never know what you are going to see or hear in the woods

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: slsmnaz

For me it's a personal thing. I get more out of being in camp and just being with my father than the hunt itself. We have been going for the past 22 years and it's just tradition. Sure I fill the freezer (occasionally) but that's not what I'll remember. We hunt in the same place where his grandad taught him and I hope to pass it on to my son one day.

and I can understand that aspect of it. i'm sure my dad wishes that i hunted with him because he is really into it (all the men on his side of the family are).

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: JDMnAR1

Then you aren't doing it for the right reasons. To me anyway, the kill isn't the "be all end all" of hunting. Sure, it is nice to have some fresh meat, but that isn't the only reason I go bya long shot. I enjoy the solitude of being alone in the woods with time to think about whatever life might be throwing my way at the time. Not to mention, you never know what you are going to see or hear in the woods

i get that part of it too, but i just think i have more interest in other things than that though, so thats why i pretty much stopped.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: KMFJD

Also a big bow hunter.

Also is a big AR hunter, and an NRA board member.

"Remember the Alamo! Shoot 'em! To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em." - Ted Nugent

:thumbsup:

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I just came in to say to head to your local Big5 and pick up a mosin nagant m91 or m44 for like 80 bucks and then go buy some surplus czech or russian ammo. a hundred bucks should get you closer to a thousand rounds then 500.

7.62x54r should take care of any deer.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003

You should find a better place to hunt imo

We have a place where in just an hour at sunset/sunrise you can take your pick from probably around 20 deer.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Anybody know a website where I can check state reg's about what types of rifles (if any) can be used to hunt deer? In IL I don't believe we can use any rifle; has to be muzzleloader or shotgun.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: YoungGun21
Originally posted by: slsmnaz
Originally posted by: YoungGun21
Anybody know a website where I can check state reg's about what types of rifles (if any) can be used to hunt deer? In IL I don't believe we can use any rifle; has to be muzzleloader or shotgun.

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/systems/

Thanks but I was wanting more of a list of calibers that can or can't be used.

First paragraph, right side

It was just a click away from the 1st page I linked. Sure you should be handling a gun? ;)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It really depends on the state. Many states (like IL) don't allow rifle. Shotgun, bow, muzzle loader, and handgun only. You can pick up .50 blackpowder kits for ~ $150. That will drop a deer at over 100 yards very effectively.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Deer overpopulation is getting worse. NE US is the worst area I believe.

You need more wolves/cougar/bears. Otherwise its up to the hunting folks.
If they cant do it the government will start to exterminate them.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Oceandevi
Deer overpopulation is getting worse. NE US is the worst area I believe.

You need more wolves/cougar/bears. Otherwise its up to the hunting folks.
If they cant do it the government will start to exterminate them.

That is what needs to be done to the cougar around here - extermination. The damn things are everywhere, like rats.