I am interested in killing a Deer with something other than my car

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Hmm...well, this might be a bit odd, but 25 years ago we used KE penetrators (this) to kill cows in Lebanon.

It worked quite well.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: adairusmc
There is always the .22 to the head. Pretty effective.

I use a AR-15 myself, with 68 grain power points. Kind of light for mule deer, but I love the dirty looks from the elmer fudds when they see me hunting with my AR. :D

You have the best sig ever. Congratulations.

:D

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Spend the money on the penile lengthening you so obviously need. Hiding in a tree to blow away Bambi doesn't make you a man.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Spend the money on the penile lengthening you so obviously need. Hiding in a tree to blow away Bambi doesn't make you a man.

But watching them die from starvation and disease does?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: slsmnaz

Some people just can't or won't understand that concept.

The DEC issues doe permits based on the deer population. Too many deer is not a good thing for the deer population on the whole. This is when the starvation and disease can come into play. Herd management is less cruel than seeing those alternatives play out.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Got a 270 I use, it's more than enough gun to make a clean kill. Took out the 44 mag alittle last year but didn't get any kills with it.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Dang city slickers! Why are you even driving Grandma's car? Where is your pickup? Where is your railroad tie bumper replacement?

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
A long time ago, towards the end of the wild west era, there was a woman reporter for a popular newspaper wanting to live with American Indians to find out about their culture.
The chief agreed to have this lady reporter over for a few days. Maybe some people will stop stereotyping them as savages.
One day the lady came across an Indian man with one feather on it's head. She asked him what it symbolized, or what it meant.
He said, "It means I lay down with one woman."
She exclaimed bashfully, "Oh my!"
She later came across a man with three feathers on his head, she again asked.
Indian: "I lay down with three women."
Lady Reporter: "Oh goodness" as she covers her mouth and ducks out of embarrassment.
She finally comes across an Indian covered in feathers. She had to ask what the feathers were for.
Indian: "Feather is for each thing I screw. I screw everything. Woman. Bear. Rabbits. Everything."
Lady Reporter: "Oh dear!"
Indian: Not deer. Tail too high. Run too fast.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

No, but it does kill one more damn deer.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: slsmnaz

The DEC issues doe permits based on the deer population. Too many deer is not a good thing for the deer population on the whole. This is when the starvation and disease can come into play. Herd management is less cruel than seeing those alternatives play out.

but, but, but we should introduce natural preditors. Let grizzly bears and wolves wander all over the woods once again. Just do something to keep the bears and wolves out of suburbia. ;)

Hey, that reminds me... 2 more weeks til they start selling this year's hunting licenses.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Well... aside from the fact that deer are pretty sparse in Micronesia (though they do exist,) there is no humane way to hunt them.

You see, to protect you from yourself, the Federal Government saw fit to pass something called the Weapons Control Act. It forbids possession of any handgun or rifle larger than a .22, or any shotgun larger than a .410.

Unless you're on the list of "exemptees" made by the Department of Justice to include law enforcement and other people more important than you.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: LordMaul

I use a AR-15 myself, with 68 grain power points. Kind of light for mule deer, but I love the dirty looks from the elmer fudds when they see me hunting with my AR. :D

You have the best sig ever. Congratulations.

:D

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

I don't deer hunt myself (I find it morally unacceptable) but I don't have a problem with people that do. I last went with my dad about 10 years ago, and I remember walking into the local diner with my AR-10 slung on my back. The fudds in the next booth said something like, "Are you having a war with the deer?"

I pointed out that my father was hunting with a customized Remington in .338 Lapua Magum, that was not only several times more powerful, but also semi-automatic.

Fudds would sell us down the river in a second. Who needs 'em.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Nebor

I don't deer hunt myself (I find it morally unacceptable) but I don't have a problem with people that do. I last went with my dad about 10 years ago, and I remember walking into the local diner with my AR-10 slung on my back. The fudds in the next booth said something like, "Are you having a war with the deer?"

I pointed out that my father was hunting with a customized Remington in .338 Lapua Magum, that was not only several times more powerful, but also semi-automatic.

What really gets the fudds all angry is when you run into them at a range, they scoff at our evil black rifle, and you proceed to outshoot them with open sights why they pout over their precious customized bolt rifles with expensive glass.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor

What really gets the fudds all angry is when you run into them at a range, they scoff at our evil black rifle, and you proceed to outshoot them with open sights why they pout over their precious customized bolt rifles with expensive glass.

Yup, I've only ONCE seen someone with an "assault rifle" at my range (some guy with an SKS.)

It is the ultimate fudd club. Centerfire rifles are only to be loaded with 5 rounds at a time. No fully automatic fire is allowed. No .50 BMG is allowed. No drawing from holsters allowed. Blah blah blah. Lots of rules.

Last week I was out there shooting my SBRed PS90 w/ aimpoint micro. I went ahead and loaded 50 rounds into it and was firing on both the pistol and rifle range. At one point the ancient range master comes up and says, "What is that, a ray gun?" At which point another geezer wanders along and says, "That's the one that shoots those armor piercing bullets. That's only good for killin' people!"

I shot about 10 rounds in rapid succession, turn my head to the right to look at them and shout, "Yeah, it works great!" :)

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

Maybe not, but it DOES mean there are fewer deer on the roads trying to kill ME, so I applaud the efforts of the deer hunters!

Originally posted by: moshquerade

There are way too many deer right now! We already killed most of their predators...clearly more hunting permits need to get issued.

Don't get me wrong, I like deer and think they're pretty, but just look at the number of highway fatalities they cause, and considering their population is several times what it was in the pre-colonial era...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

WTF are you talking about. The are looking at you like an idiot because they are looking for clean kills not trying to shoot things looking cool. One can go out and hunt with a .40 Glock too.

First it depends where you are hunting and at what distance. Something like a 308 works for many, but in heavy brush the bullet can be deflected resulting in a miss or a bad shot.

30-06 is a tried and true deer rifle.

There is some reading at this quick search: www.chuckhawks.com/deer_rifle.htm

Picking up a deer hunting magazine and joining a deer hunting forum would be the best bet.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: alkemyst

WTF are you talking about. The are looking at you like an idiot because they are looking for clean kills not trying to shoot things looking cool. One can go out and hunt with a .40 Glock too.

First it depends where you are hunting and at what distance. Something like a 308 works for many, but in heavy brush the bullet can be deflected resulting in a miss or a bad shot.

30-06 is a tried and true deer rifle.

There is some reading at this quick search: www.chuckhawks.com/deer_rifle.htm

Picking up a deer hunting magazine and joining a deer hunting forum would be the best bet.

I guarantee you that I get cleaner kills with my AR then they do with their .270's. Its all about shot placement, not the round. FACT = I can shoot my AR more accurately than the vast majority of bolt-gun hunters and their fancy optics.

This year I am going to hunt with my M1a though.

And no, no one can go out and hunt with a Glock .40, it is illegal here. .22 caliber centerfire is, in fact, legal.

Do not ever question my hunting experience. I have never failed to bag both a deer and an elk every year I have gotten tags. Same goes for my once in a lifetime Rocky Mountain Bighorn tag I got a few years ago, and so far I have nailed 8 mountain lion.

I would rather give up hunting all together than use a .30-06 for anything. Everyone else has one, so therefore I do not want one. - unless I was hunting with a garand. Then it would be okay.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I guarantee you that I get cleaner kills with my AR then they do with their .270's. Its all about shot placement, not the round. FACT = I can shoot my AR more accurately than the vast majority of bolt-gun hunters and their fancy optics.

This year I am going to hunt with my M1a though.

And no, no one can go out and hunt with a Glock .40, it is illegal here. .22 caliber centerfire is, in fact, legal.

Do not ever question my hunting experience. I have never failed to bag both a deer and an elk every year I have gotten tags. Same goes for my once in a lifetime Rocky Mountain Bighorn tag I got a few years ago, and so far I have nailed 8 mountain lion.

I would rather give up hunting all together than use a .30-06 for anything. Everyone else has one, so therefore I do not want one. - unless I was hunting with a garand. Then it would be okay.

I am questioning your hunting. You seem more a fanboy than a hunter. Oh look at me and my gun.

There is a reason everyone is probably using those 30-06's. Being you have MC in your handle, perhaps ex Marine...did you frown upon your standard issue weapon and why use an M1a then as well...many deployed worldwide of those.

Any gun can kill any animal. There is a lot to be said in doing it quickly though. You like many other there are probably into the hunt for the look rather than the prize/challenge and meat.

I hope you aren't also in the crowd that is using a telescope that can read across state lines as a scope bragging about long shots as well. Seems popular now in some circles yet they don't mention all their maimings and lack of ability to track down the injured animal.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Unforunatly I've never been hunting, so I don't own any hunting rifles... yet. Waiting for someone to take me. And its a reason to buy another firearm.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
First deer I bagged was with a 22-250, then the second was with a .308. I believe I was 12 and 14 if I remember correctly. I always liked dove hunting more myself.