I am interested in killing a Deer with something other than my car

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: vi_edit
It really depends on the state. Many states (like IL) don't allow rifle. Shotgun, bow, muzzle loader, and handgun only. You can pick up .50 blackpowder kits for ~ $150. That will drop a deer at over 100 yards very effectively.

They don't allow rifles, but they allow handguns? How does that make ANY sense?

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
Originally posted by: jagec
It really depends on the state. Many states (like IL) don't allow rifle. Shotgun, bow, muzzle loader, and handgun only. You can pick up .50 blackpowder kits for ~ $150. That will drop a deer at over 100 yards very effectively.

It makes a lot of sense in densely populated areas. With handguns haveing a far more limited range, it is less likely for a stray shot to wind up hitting someone 800 yards away, as an example.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: JDMnAR1
Originally posted by: jagec

It makes a lot of sense in densely populated areas. With handguns have a far more limited range, it is less likely for a stray shot to wind up hitting someone 800 yards away, as an example.

Exactly. Bullet drop is much quicker in handguns, shotgun slugs and muzzle loaders than it is in rifles.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: adairusmc

Also is a big AR hunter, and an NRA board member.

"Remember the Alamo! Shoot 'em! To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em." - Ted Nugent

:thumbsup:

Even though we see differently on hunting weapons. I wholeheartedly agree with that quote People as a whole are too passive to those that actively seek to harm them. The problem is people try to think that people think like they do. Many people felons or not, think very differently. IMHO this is hunting in a different light.

Someone doing something amongst themselves (prostitution, drugs, illegally downloading movies, etc) send them through the system. Someone doing something to others, let the citizen have the right to use any deadly force. F**k these rules about unjustified force or firing on a fleeing assailant. Once they kill someone that is a life noone ever gets back. Almost every story I have heard of a felon killing someone, they have had a back history of physical assault on people. Most of the time getting minor wrist slaps and sent back to the street.

If I get assaulted where my life is threatened and I turn the tables...I don't care if the guy is 1/2 block away. I am going to hunt him down and make sure he doesn't come back to me or anyone else. If it's just a barfight and someone is just off their rocker and drunk, trying to kill them would be stupid. If they are pretty well with their wits and now have a weapon, then whatever happens happens. This is sort of a complex topic so don't take me as wanting to kill all criminals. Crimes involving the harm of another though are special in my book.

The public has the problem as soon as they see tears or apologies they think everyone should get another chance and they didn't mean it. I have been in quite a few fights, never starting any of them; however every time the loser whomever it is wishes they never started the fight to begin with. Yet by the next week if they didn't end up really messed up, they are at it again. There is a big difference between the guy that just goes up to someone and attacks them for no reason vs the one that is in a screaming fight with a person and lashes out at them.

In my past I have been started with quite a few times and when I have beat someone's a$$ the police were harrassing me saying I should have just walked away or called for help. The freaking problem is usually I did try to walk away as I don't really care for beating up people nor the risk to myself doing so. I am usually at a club to get laid not roll around with guys. I have also asked people around me if they could give me a hand. You are lucky today to get someone to use their cell phone to call in an accident involving fatalities. People don't want to be involved. Some people try to encourage it to see a show, like when I have asked for help...it was taken as I was some sort of pussy afraid to fight. They would often add in 'you are going to get you a$$ kicked'. I have also gone after those people after a fight which may be wrong to do, but IMHO they contributed to the possibility of me being hurt and usually no matter how quick the fight ended I never walked away totally unhurt. Even when I lost the fight, the police were more interested in portraying both of us as criminals.

The biggest story in my town (West Palm Beach, Florida) is 7 or so guys middle school and up captured a mother and forced her back into her home where they raped her and even forced her 12 year old son to rape her with them. Video: http://www.breitbart.tv/html/2642.html

Everyone of those f**ker's needs to be taken out of society permanently. People are crying out that it's just because they were all black that everyone wants them to recieve the maximum penalty. I am sorry...the race card doesn't work here. Black, white, yellow, blue, whatever color that crime is inexcusable. There is another case with a 14 year old raping a woman in a parking lot here: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/l...07/07/27/0727teen.html

In this case there were several witnesses that actually watched the rape happen, but did nothing. Some are now cooperating with detectives, but most are not agreeing to help.

If I had major money I would seriously fund an underground group to just wander around and harass those harassing others.

/rant off.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: novasatori
Originally posted by: pontifex
I haven't hunted in about 12 years, ever since I got my 1st job. Thats the main reason i quit, but I also didn't enjoy waking up at like 4 am, trudging through the woods in the cold and darkness, then sitting in the cold all day long, barely moving and not having anything to do but watch squirrels and birds.

Sure, its exciting if you get get a shot off or even get a deer, but I don't think that 5 minutes of excitement if worh 8 hours of being cold and bored.

You should find a better place to hunt imo

We have a place where in just an hour at sunset/sunrise you can take your pick from probably around 20 deer.

If I could tear myself away from my PC and fire a gun off my deck (without the neighbors calling the police) I could bag 10 a day.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
We've always used .243s, though dad used to have a 30-06 that was incredibly accurate. .308s are good too, some hunters swear by them, others swear by the 30-06, I don't think you can go wrong with either.