I am interested in killing a Deer with something other than my car

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
And no .50 caliber armor piercers. they are illegal in my county. (even tho bullet proof deer breeds are now more common.)

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
There is always the .22 to the head. Pretty effective.

I use a AR-15 myself, with 68 grain power points. Kind of light for mule deer, but I love the dirty looks from the elmer fudds when they see me hunting with my AR. :D

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
maybe attach some bayonets to the front of the car, that way it's the bayonets that do the killing.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
there are many calibers you can use for deer hunting. when I was younger, i used a .243 and then a .270. haven't hunted anything in years though.

check this article out for more info.

"The top six deer cartridges in North America, in terms of factory ammunition sales, are the .30-06 Spfd., .270 Win., .30-30 Win., .308 Win., .243 Win., and 7mm Rem. Mag."

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: funkymatt
maybe attach some bayonets to the front of the car, that way it's the bayonets that do the killing.

I have forwarded your suggestion to a co-worker who has hit 6 deer in the last 2 years with rental cars in random states, and 2 with his own cars here.

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: funkymatt

Careful in that school zone!

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: txrandom
Real men use bow's to kill deer.

I fixed that for you.

Shotgun hunting is for pussies.

Either a rifle or a bow for me.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Savarak
Originally posted by: adairusmc
Real men use slingshots to kill deer.

I fixed that for you.

fixed again ;)

Real men wait in trees for deer to pass underneath, then jump down and kill them with a Bowie knife. :p

Personally, I find bow hunting while stalking to be about the fairest chase and requiring the most skill. Rifle from 500 yards away? Pffff. Until about 2 years ago, rifle hunting for deer was illegal in most of NY. Now, it's allowed, but most hunters still prefer to use a slug in a rifled barrel.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Incidentally, how on earth can someone hit that many deer while driving within 2 years??! I figured out the secret to always missing them: I aim for them.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: DrPizza

I fixed that for you.

fixed again ;)

Real men wait in trees for deer to pass underneath, then jump down and kill them with a Bowie knife. :p

Personally, I find bow hunting while stalking to be about the fairest chase and requiring the most skill. Rifle from 500 yards away? Pffff. Until about 2 years ago, rifle hunting for deer was illegal in most of NY. Now, it's allowed, but most hunters still prefer to use a slug in a rifled barrel.

You just have whitetail over there in New York right?

We only have Mule deer and Blacktail around here. Mule deer are much different to hunt than those easy whitetails. ;)

Of course, Elk > All. I cannot wait for Elk season this year.

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza

I fixed that for you.

fixed again ;)

Real men beat deer to death with their huge e-penis.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Typically I use a bow but I never miss opening day of rifle season. I have 2 rifles for deer hunting, a 270 and 7 mag. I use the 270 the most and it seems to be the most popular among our group. I have used a 243 but only for antelope since they are a bit smaller.

Some states do require you use a shotgun so you need to check your regs.