I am a smoker, the BBQ type.

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
I've smoked ribs, brisket, pork roasts, beef ribs and cheese. Now I'm ready to try Pastrami. Which is basically a brisket that has been brined, peppered and smoked. Anyone have a personal recipe I could try.

Update 03/03/2017 - never did try pastrami, too much work with the brining. Maybe some day I will.

Last edited:

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I've been wanting to do a pastrami in my smoker, too. Would be interested if anyone has ever tried it.

One thing that's awesome that you might not think of is beans. Beans in a smoker are fucking amazing.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
My pastrami recipe:

Take a corned beef. Submerge it fully in a large stock pot and soak it in water overnight.
Next morning, pat it dry and put some billy bones rub on it. Let it sit for a few hours and then smoke it as you would a brisket.

Comes out PERFECT.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I posted a thread some years back.

Here it is.

The only change I've made is to soak the brisket for several hours at least before spice rubbing and wrapping with plastic wrap to rest overnight.

yum.JPG

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
I posted a thread some years back.

Here it is.

The only change I've made is to soak the brisket for several hours at least before spice rubbing and wrapping with plastic wrap to rest overnight.

Thanks for that. I've been wanting to try smoking a brisket. I may just have to give it a go now.

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
I've been wanting to do a pastrami in my smoker, too. Would be interested if anyone has ever tried it.

One thing that's awesome that you might not think of is beans. Beans in a smoker are fucking amazing.

I'm going to have to try it. What kind of beans, pinto?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Interesting- I smoke meats as a hobby but have never done a pastrami. Let me know how it comes out.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Why must you post this thread when I am suffering with arctic temperatures and the inability to get outside and use my smoker or grill? This is torture. The only thing keeping me sane is brewing beer. I'd be much happier brewing beer and keeping an eye on the smoker at the same time. Much, much happier.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I just wanted to say, Pastrami is fvcking awesomely delicious. It is one of the finest foods in all of culinary history.

Now I want a smokehouse so I can make my own pastrami and also to make my own Latakia.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
This recipe Ive been wanting to try for the longest time. Te author has tried to model it after famous Jewish delis in NYC. This is more than a recipe, it is a little bit of a read.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html

This recipe has a dependency on corned beef. You need to make the corned beef first and then smoke that into pastrami. The recipe for corned beef is here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/home_made_corned_beef.html

I'm glad this thread is here. Pastrami is one of my favorite deli meats and something I've been wanting to try smoking on my own forever. This year not only will I try pastrami for the first time but also make slab bacon. This thanksgiving, I'd like to attempt a smoked turkey.

Oh and to answer the OP, I've smoked ribs, fish and brisket. I have a weber smokey mountain 22 inch and couldnt be happier.

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
Doesn't the cheese tend to get dry though or do you start with soft cheeses to begin with? I've had smoked gouda (which is a fairly soft cheese) but they can get a bit too dry when smoking.

No, mine never dries out. I've done mild and sharp chedders and a Mozzarella. I smoke them between 20 mintues to an hour with apple wood. A cold smoke with no heat. I take them out of the smoker and let them rest on the counter for 4 hours before I put them in a zip lock bag and put them in the fridge.

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
This recipe Ive been wanting to try for the longest time. Te author has tried to model it after famous Jewish delis in NYC. This is more than a recipe, it is a little bit of a read.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html

This recipe has a dependency on corned beef. You need to make the corned beef first and then smoke that into pastrami. The recipe for corned beef is here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/home_made_corned_beef.html

I'm glad this thread is here. Pastrami is one of my favorite deli meats and something I've been wanting to try smoking on my own forever. This year not only will I try pastrami for the first time but also make slab bacon. This thanksgiving, I'd like to attempt a smoked turkey.

Oh and to answer the OP, I've smoked ribs, fish and brisket. I have a weber smokey mountain 22 inch and couldnt be happier.

I 've been wanting to try smoking some salmon fillets but haven't got aound to it. My smoker is a Wal-Mart special with an off set fire box.
I'd like to build a smoker out of an old propane tank. I just got to talk my BiL into helping me build it since he has the plasma cutter and weilder.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

the beans sit under the dripping pork. yum

I've been wanting to try pastrami as well...

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i do a lot of smoking meat myself and been on a bacon kick. pro tip, if you do bacon get the pork belly with the skin off. its a bitch and takes a lot of time for a novice to take that skin off.

ive never done a pastrami because i always thought it had to be steamed to finish it after smoking.

my redneck cold smoke contraception

Uhaul wardrobe box has the metal brace to hang clothes on so its perfect for hanging a few pork bellies. its a one time use due to the moisture destroying the cardboard. the green thing in the hose is a little battery operated spritzer fan. i used it to help draw the smoke to the box.

Last edited: