I am a smoker, the BBQ type.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
I read that article in regards to a Katz's clone. I'll have to disagree with one point of it, you can get too much smoke in it. In retrospect, I'm going to cure my own brisket flat and attempt it again. Once you start curing your meats there is no going back.

I agree with that too and am going to thread carefully in this regard. Too much smoke flavor is like too much salt, you can overdo it.

I have 5 pounds of prague powder #1 curing salt at home, hoping to dive head first into meat curing. If pastrami and corned beef is successful, next thing to due this summer is a whole pork belly for slab bacon.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
!!!!

So the next time I smoke a pork shoulder for pulled pork, you are saying to have a tray of beans under the meat to catch the fat?

You know, during my time in Afghanistan I noted that the Afghans cooked their meat directly over the rice which allowed the meat juices to flavor the rice and damn was that rice delicious.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Not the person you quoted but I'll toss my couple of cheap cents into this conversation.

Super quick method I use since I usually have this stuff on hand...

Soy sauce...probably around 1/2 to 3/4 cup.
Olive oil, eh, probably around maybe a 1/4 cup.
Few cloves of garlic. I use a couple Tbsp of jarlic.
Toss in whatever else you want, onion powder, rosemary, etc.

I throw it all in a gallon ziploc along with a spatchcocked chicken for around 3-4 hours in the fridge and flipping the bag every so often.

After that, apply whatever rub you want and toss on the smoker between 325-350. Flip after 40 minutes and it should be done within another 40 minutes.

Usual disclaimer, cook for temp, not for time. I usually pull it when the breast is around 160-165. Higher temp gets the skin crispier. Low and slow ain't meant for birds.

Thanks for the recipe but no salt? Seems like some salt is in order and would give a brining effect to the meat. Or I wonder if the soy sauce would provide the same effect...

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
High temp smoking (300-350F) is the only way I'll cook the choice/select briskets that I can find locally. These cuts just don't have the marbling necessary for low and slow cooking. Besides, it's so nice to have a full packer smoked to perfection in 4-5 hours.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the recipe but no salt? Seems like some salt is in order and would give a brining effect to the meat. Or I wonder if the soy sauce would provide the same effect...

Yep, no salt. Soy sauce is loaded with salt. What comes out is dang juicy chicken.

Is it the world's greatest marinade/brine? Probably not. Quick and easy and am always impressed how juicy the bird is.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
High temp smoking (300-350F) is the only way I'll cook the choice/select briskets that I can find locally. These cuts just don't have the marbling necessary for low and slow cooking. Besides, it's so nice to have a full packer smoked to perfection in 4-5 hours.

Last weekend I picked up a prime packer from Costco. Last one sitting there.

I'm going to be tackling this one with care. Screwing up a $5 chicken or a $12 butt is not a problem (not like you can really screw them up). But effing up a $45 brisket is something I don't want to do. So this will be a handle with care moment.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
brisket needs a whole packer. you should be using oak or pecan - not hickory (pecan's inbred cousin). liberally season with salt and pepper. brisket is done when a temp probe inserted across the grain goes in with little resistance.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
do you guys separate the point muscle from the flat muscle? The point has more fat and would cook differently than the flat. Or do you cook it all together?

Sep 7, 2009
I usually sample the flat... If it's close to what I want, I slice the entire thing. If it's dry, crumbly, or has other issues I make burnt ends just to get something that's guaranteed delicious.

Sep 7, 2009
What's your favorite smoking wood? I see elfenix hates hickory. I'm ok with it, but I only use a chunk or two with 'hearty' meats.

Anything delicate gets apple, sometimes cherry.

I'm running low on my supply, so trying to figure out what to buy next. I'm leaning towards pecan....

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
What's your favorite smoking wood? I see elfenix hates hickory. I'm ok with it, but I only use a chunk or two with 'hearty' meats.

Anything delicate gets apple, sometimes cherry.

I'm running low on my supply, so trying to figure out what to buy next. I'm leaning towards pecan....

Apple, cherry, and pecan are my favorites. Easy enough to get the Weber bags on the cheap via Amazon. Pretty sure Amazon has most types.

Sep 7, 2009
Bark or no bark?

I generally knock the bark off with a hatchet, but I've read some people prefer park.

Right now it's looking like a big bag of pecan, some alder, and jack daniels oak barrel chunks.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Bark or no bark?

I generally knock the bark off with a hatchet, but I've read some people prefer park.

Right now it's looking like a big bag of pecan, some alder, and jack daniels oak barrel chunks.

you ruin the point and remove the bark? why do you hate bbq?

hickory is bitter. it's probably the reason pork rubs use so much sugar - to counter the bitter from the hickory smoke everyone east of the sabine seems to use.

Sep 7, 2009
you ruin the point and remove the bark? why do you hate bbq?

hickory is bitter. it's probably the reason pork rubs use so much sugar - to counter the bitter from the hickory smoke everyone east of the sabine seems to use.

Ok that is a travesty. I would never remove bark from the meat.

But, from the wood chunks...? I do.

:)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Ok that is a travesty. I would never remove bark from the meat.

But, from the wood chunks...? I do.

oh i completely misread that.

i don't think the bark alters the flavor any.

another reason to use pecan is that it's pretty strong, so if you only use chunks the first couple hours and have something else for your heat, it's pretty good. if you're using just wood for both smoke and heat, use oak.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Bark or no bark?

The JD chunks will smell fabulous coming out of the smoker. One of the best pork butts I made was using those. But you know, there were ten thousand other variables involved.

Need to expand my wood inventory as I get an itch for spring time. My go to is usually apple and cherry. Need to expand my horizons.

Sep 7, 2009
oh i completely misread that.

i don't think the bark alters the flavor any.

another reason to use pecan is that it's pretty strong, so if you only use chunks the first couple hours and have something else for your heat, it's pretty good. if you're using just wood for both smoke and heat, use oak.

At least 90% of my heat source is lump charcoal, usually from an oak/hickory mix. I like to add only 2-3 wood chunks for extra flavor, I don't care for the bitter flavor of over smoked food.

I primarily use rockwood and natures own maple (for fish and other delicate cooks), but also sometimes use royal oak or wicked good weekend warrior.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
At least 90% of my heat source is lump charcoal, usually from an oak/hickory mix. I like to add only 2-3 wood chunks for extra flavor, I don't care for the bitter flavor of over smoked food.

I primarily use rockwood and natures own maple (for fish and other delicate cooks), but also sometimes use royal oak or wicked good weekend warrior.

EF and I subscribe to the same way of doing brisket - the salt/pepper combo over oak - straight up Texas. Least for brisket.

You might look into natural briquettes for your next smoke if you wanted to try something new. I had been lump charcoal but recently discovered the natural briqs - burns more consistent, evenly, and longer than lump. Also way easier to utilize the minion method for even heat for the whole time.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
man you guys got me itching to smoke a brisket. spring cant come soon enough.

this is one time i wish i lived in the south, all the hardwood i could possible use for free. oak, pecan, hickory, apple.... ohhh yea.

Sep 7, 2009
I actually have the time for a good low'n'slow this weekend.

I want to do something a little different..

I was thinking about maybe an 'herbs de provence' pork butt.

Or possibly some sort of lamb.

No pork/beef ribs.

Any suggestions? Would like something that's at least a 6 hour cook. I have lots of different dizzy pig rubs.

Sep 7, 2009
Picking up a CAB whole brisket I ordered earlier this week to smoke overnight on Friday.

Going to use dizzy pig cow lick rub along with some coffee rub, with mustard/EVOO as a base and let it sit overnight.

Thinking about doing an injection of 33/33/33 beef broth/EVOO/cider vinegar mixed in with some rub.

200f for first 6 hours, then bump up to 225f to finish. Water pan in the bottom. Cooking to 195f or tender. I'm going to try not foiling this time, hoping that the water pan and injection helps with keeping things moist.

Using oak for smoke, in the egg.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Picking up a CAB whole brisket I ordered earlier this week to smoke overnight on Friday.

Going to use dizzy pig cow lick rub along with some coffee rub, with mustard/EVOO as a base and let it sit overnight.

Thinking about doing an injection of 33/33/33 beef broth/EVOO/cider vinegar mixed in with some rub.

200f for first 6 hours, then bump up to 225f to finish. Water pan in the bottom. Cooking to 195f or tender. I'm going to try not foiling this time.....

Using oak for smoke, in the egg.

Wish me luck.

Good luck. Briskets are always challenging for me and hope it turns out tender. Got a recipe for the rub?