HP Pavilion dv9207us Notebook Hot Deal? $749.99 AR ($400) and AIS ($50)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GuildBoss

Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: dclive
What happened? You get the rebate printout, go to the web page, plug in your info, and 5 weeks later a check comes; what happened to you?

Not for me. It all went to hell when I decided to cancel my online order and pick the laptop up locally.... it's a long story but suffice it to say that they refuse to honor a $350 rebate I downloaded from their site on the 13th, with my original order, because they changed the end date to 5/16. The one I downloaded said 5/20 (IIRC) and I bought the laptop in-store on 5/17, which had a new rebate of $300. Instead of giving the $300 rebate a new offer number, they merely changed the end date so nobody at the rebate center knew wtf was going on.

Then, I brought the laptop back for an exchange because the hard drive in the original was clicking very loudly. So I have the old one back, they gave me a new one off the shelf. But the printer wasn't working so I didn't get a new receipt, although I kept the original.

So then I check the status of my $300 rebate online a couple days later and it's got a new status of "PRODUCT RETURNED" which voided the rebate. Sigh. A couple more emails with Customer Service, explaining the difference between a "return" and an "exchange" (you still have my money with an exchange!) and they ask for the new receipt. SIGH. I explain why I don't have one and they say they'll take care of it.

Then this morning I check the rebate status and it said this:

"Your receipt matched to our transaction records, however there was not a rebate offered at that location at the time of your purchase."

Boggle.

So I email again explaining it wasn't a NEW purchase, it was an exchange for a product purchased on 5/17 when they did indeed have a rebate! HELLO?!?! Anybody home?

I got a reply saying it's all taken care of now, that they finally found their a$$es and their elbows, and my check will arrive in 5-7 weeks. Come again!

So in summary, I'm sure their erebates system works great *when it works*, but when it don't, be prepared for a tour of the fun house....

TheRealDeal

Jan 11, 2004
I feel for you GuildBoss. Its best not to get complicated when doing rebates. They will find any reason to deny the rebate, for it is in their best interest. I usually buy the product, evaluate it before cutting the UPC, then send in the rebate (reading all the fine print). Once you stray from the simple, it is a denial waiting to happen. I've received my rebate last week. Still waiting for the one from HP to show up.

Maybe I'm just lucky with rebates. I've even gotten the TigerDirect rebates back (fine print said to include whole Hard Drive front sheet from packaging not just the UPC).

Originally posted by: GuildBoss
What happened? You get the rebate printout, go to the web page, plug in your info, and 5 weeks later a check comes; what happened to you?

Not for me. It all went to hell when I decided to cancel my online order and pick the laptop up locally.... it's a long story but suffice it to say that they refuse to honor a $350 rebate I downloaded from their site on the 13th, with my original order, because they changed the end date to 5/16. The one I downloaded said 5/20 (IIRC) and I bought the laptop in-store on 5/17, which had a new rebate of $300. Instead of giving the $300 rebate a new offer number, they merely changed the end date so nobody at the rebate center knew wtf was going on.

Then, I brought the laptop back for an exchange because the hard drive in the original was clicking very loudly. So I have the old one back, they gave me a new one off the shelf. But the printer wasn't working so I didn't get a new receipt, although I kept the original.

So then I check the status of my $300 rebate online a couple days later and it's got a new status of "PRODUCT RETURNED" which voided the rebate. Sigh. A couple more emails with Customer Service, explaining the difference between a "return" and an "exchange" (you still have my money with an exchange!) and they ask for the new receipt. SIGH. I explain why I don't have one and they say they'll take care of it.

"Your receipt matched to our transaction records, however there was not a rebate offered at that location at the time of your purchase."

Boggle.

So I email again explaining it wasn't a NEW purchase, it was an exchange for a product purchased on 5/17 when they did indeed have a rebate! HELLO?!?! Anybody home?

I got a reply saying it's all taken care of now, that they finally found their a$$es and their elbows, and my check will arrive in 5-7 weeks. Come again!

So in summary, I'm sure their erebates system works great *when it works*, but when it don't, be prepared for a tour of the fun house....

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Agreed with pp - if I had to get rebates in a situation like that, I'd insist everything get reprinted every time I had to exchange, plus I'd get a letter from the manager, in writing. For $350, there's no fooling around!

GuildBoss

Apr 10, 2001
Yup, gotta be careful and I usually am. I've done lots of rebates (Tiger, Ultra, Thermaltake, Newegg, Staples, CC, HP, etc) and have never had any serious problems. This was my first CompUSA rebate and it seemed doomed from the start.

As long as I get the $300 I'll be satisfied with this deal. The laptop is beautiful and I'm VERY happy I decided to get one with dedicated graphics rather than an on-board chip. So even though I got screwed out of $50 it's still a fantastic deal at $800.

Originally posted by: TheRealDeal
I feel for you GuildBoss. Its best not to get complicated when doing rebates. They will find any reason to deny the rebate, for it is in their best interest. I usually buy the product, evaluate it before cutting the UPC, then send in the rebate (reading all the fine print). Once you stray from the simple, it is a denial waiting to happen. I've received my rebate last week. Still waiting for the one from HP to show up.

Maybe I'm just lucky with rebates. I've even gotten the TigerDirect rebates back (fine print said to include whole Hard Drive front sheet from packaging not just the UPC).

Originally posted by: GuildBoss

Boggle.

jjet67

May 8, 2003
Pulled the trigger today and bought it.
It's huge. ;) Hopefully, it will serve me for some time.
I have windows vista ultimate version. Do you think that erasing everything on the hard disk and fresh install the ultimate version would give me any benefit or should I just delete some trash software?
My first impression on windows vista is not that great even ignoring the compatibility issue.
JJET

Cardio

Jun 11, 2003
This deal is back at CUSA in a somewhat different rebate form. Don't think you can beat it for a laptop with these specs. There is no Qam tuner as mentioned in previous posts, it clearly states Analog TV tuner....Qam is digital. There IS sound from the HDMI port if configured correctly...search for "how to" on some other forums.

Olddog01

Jun 23, 2007
I picked up one of these a few months ago, sent in for the rebate, and then it refused to boot up after a few days. And because I had sent in for the rebate they refused to help. My favorite part was when the store manager called me stupid for sending in for the $400 rebate, he said I made the choice of the rebate so they wouldn't help me. The ironic thing is all I wanted when I went in originally was a replacement, I didn't really blame anyone I just felt I got a lemon. By the time they were done with me I just wanted my money back and had no desire to ever deal with CompUSA again. It took me over 6 weeks to get my money back for a computer I paid cash for. Some of the CSR further down the line were more helpful, if they had just started out that way they would have kept the sale and a customer.

I don't even read CUSA ads anymore, and I wouldn't buy anything with a rebate that I wouldn't buy if the rebate wasn't there. I built a system from scratch instead of getting a laptop after that, and 4 of the components had rebates on them, all of which I was willing to pay full price on. Order placed 3/27/07, to date I am still waiting on 2 of the rebates, the 2 of course that are worth the most.

I still want a laptop, but without rebates this time.

KDKPSJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2002
OMG, this is freaking awesome deal. I now regret I jumped into Acer's $ 399.99 AR deal from Compusa. Of course, this deal would cost a bit more after tax, but it's way better. (Better CPU, more RAM, more HDD, bigger LCD, much better graphic core)

I totally regret now :( And I am seriously thinking to return it.

eyeballs

Apr 30, 2007
You will love it! Its the only laptop that I have kept as a desktop replacement. The 7600go runs company of hero's without any slowdowns at a decent res.

Luthien

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2004
I see the raised the price by $50 but now you get a free cannon printer so it is basically the same deal. On ebay the $90 printer sells for $35 at most new.

Very tempted to buy this thing. Has everything I would add to a cheaper model accept for the ram and that is on sale a lot lately.

Luthien

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2004
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: travisray2004
To bad it doesnt have brightview or id jump on this.. :p..... HOTDEAL!!!</end quote></div>

hmm it does have brightview though!

"High-Definition BrightView widescreen display supporting Intel® Core Duo mobile technologies and nVIDIA graphics solutions."