HP Pavilion dv9207us Notebook Hot Deal? $749.99 AR ($400) and AIS ($50)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UnderPantKnome

Nov 13, 2004
Included Software: Security and Support:

Symantec? Norton Internet Security 2007 (including complimentary 60 days Live Update)
HP Total Care Help & Support Center
Wireless Home Network
PC Recovery (Softthinks Restore Solution)

Productivity and Finance:
Microsoft® Works

Multimedia:
Sonic Digital Media Plus
Adobe Acrobat Reader
HP Quick Play
Muvee? AutoProducer DVD Edition with Burning
HP PhotoSmart Premier

I don't see the re-installation cd for Vista included. What happens if I want to reformat the computer?

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
Originally posted by: UnderPantKnome
Included Software: Security and Support:

Symantec? Norton Internet Security 2007 (including complimentary 60 days Live Update)
HP Total Care Help & Support Center
Wireless Home Network
PC Recovery (Softthinks Restore Solution)

Productivity and Finance:
Microsoft® Works

Multimedia:
Sonic Digital Media Plus
Adobe Acrobat Reader
HP Quick Play
Muvee? AutoProducer DVD Edition with Burning
HP PhotoSmart Premier

I don't see the re-installation cd for Vista included. What happens if I want to reformat the computer?

My similar laptop came with a restore partition, and an application that let me burn my own set of DVDs that can be used to re-install Windows. I'm betting this has the same.

UnderPantKnome

Nov 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Fraggable

My similar laptop came with a restore partition, and an application that let me burn my own set of DVDs that can be used to re-install Windows. I'm betting this has the same.

oh ok, thanks. I didn't know about that.

kellehair

Nov 26, 2005
Any more thoughts on this lappy? This is a smokin' deal but I'm concerned, among other things, about the screen quality and resolution.

ezwithak

Sep 28, 2004
Originally posted by: jalaram
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
man i want to jump on it so bad, but i cant!

Agreed. I just can't afford $799 let alone the $1199 initial outlay. :(

Same Here. Also, deal expired yesterday March 24, 2007. I heard one of the reason for the price drop was that the C2D were coming out, and Intel is trying to clear up some old inventories. I think we should be expecting more deals coming soon...and that CompUSA had an early start.

Comments?

eyeballs

Apr 30, 2007
I bit on this a month ago, just got an email that my e-rebate has been mailed. It's a very nice machine, upgraded to 2 gigs and with XP installed, it really flies. Very quiet HD too. Plays Company of Hero's and Battlefield 2142 without any slowdowns. You can get the XP drivers on the HP site when you search for DV9000v model drivers

TheRealDeal

Jan 11, 2004
I have this laptop and I hooked it up to a 50 inch lcd using the HDMI. It is hard to read the text as such a high resolution (1920x1080). Be aware that sound does not come through on the HDMI with windows vista. The only thing I can think of is that the nvidia driver is not capable of doing it. We may see this in a later update. The good news is that I can dual boot to XP, and the audio works fine through HDMI. Also, Vista has many problems with direct x 9 games one of which is low fps. If you are a gamer, dual booting to XP is a must.

TheRealDeal

Jan 11, 2004
I sympathize with you. I initially bought mine from costco then before it was even delivered I saw the compusa one on sale and it comes with remote (I havent used it yet ) What a deal! I took the costco lappy back as soon as it arrived and they refunded it no problem. Not like best buy who will fight you not to take the laptop back.

Originally posted by: Trailblazer
I got the Costco model on sale with a C2D processor and second hard drive already included...I thought I was fine until I saw this deal. Doh!

I already ordered this and am taking the Costco model back...did you guys notice that it has the tuner. Crazy! Costco model did not have tuner and was 1350 on sale!

This is a smoking deal in my opinion. It plays all the games I want to play and does video editing and other graphics work just fine.

I put 2gb of RAM in, a 7200 RPM HD for the OS and bought a second caddy for the included HD:

HP Part No: 434106-001
http://www.partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/sp...srch=434106-001&submit.x=8&submit.y=10

Thanks OP!

TheRealDeal

Jan 11, 2004
For those of you buying this laptop, check out Quickplay. It allows you to play dvds and cds without even booting to windows. I have not played with the Tuner express card or the two remotes that came with it (strapped for time) but please share your experience on what works/doesn't work. With the price of RAM now, I would suggest buying 2 1GB sticks of RAM at the same time (Compusa.com doesn't have the best deal on these so look elsewhere). You can get 2GB for about $100 and then sell the 1GB it came with on Ebay.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
I don't know about Vista, but in XP the ExperessCard tuner works with MCE perfectly. The drivers are great as far as I've seen.

One thing to watch for: the coax --> mini-coax adapter for the card has some kind of interference-reducing ferrite core or something on it. Keep the adapter away form the system because it will interfere with the data on the right hard drive and could corrupt it. My tuner also gets really hot, I put some ramsinks on the metal part that sticks out of the system to help cool it.

ng12345

Jan 23, 2005
any comments on battery life or fan noise from those people who jumped?

have a zd7000 series and the only complaint i have is the fan noise, wondering if this was corrected some.

dboy

Golden Member
May 17, 2001
I saw this and ordered one earlier today, so I'm hoping it'll come soon. Specs aren't too different from my current acer laptop other than the 17" screen, tuner, and vista (which I'll probably scrap anyway). Hoping for a bit more battery life though (my acer has crappy battery life)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
This would make a nice desktop replacement.

How is the LCD's resolution?

eyeballs

Apr 30, 2007
Fan noise is "average", the fan rarely kicks on when powered by the battery, the case sometimes vibrates when the DVD player spins up. The heat isn't that bad, and I'm getting 2.5-3 hours on low power settings with the battery.

eyeballs

Apr 30, 2007
I use it as a desktop replacement. This replaced my X-2 2600 4 gig 7600 machine, I don't even use the external 19" wide screen that I have, I just use the laptop screen, its plenty bright and the resolution is 1440 x 900.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
1440 X 900 isn't high for this size LCD, you can almost always select a 1680 X 1050 panel when customizing one online. I actually prefer the 1440 X 900 for gaming purposes. If you have a lower native res then the 7600 won't have as much trouble powering games at the native res, even if you can't crank the detail.

ezwithak

Sep 28, 2004
Crucial 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Notebook Memory - OEM

$34.99 AR

NewEgg

This will probably work for HP, and it's cheap. $70 for 2x1GB = 2GB. Rebates good for up to 10 sticks.

TheRealDeal

Jan 11, 2004
Fan noise is not an issue. I don't even notice it. Can't speak for battery life as I'm always plugged in.

Originally posted by: ng12345
any comments on battery life or fan noise from those people who jumped?

have a zd7000 series and the only complaint i have is the fan noise, wondering if this was corrected some.