How to unscrew an impossibly tight oxygen sensor from a car?!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MooseKnuckle

Golden Member
Oct 24, 1999
I own a Nissan and every year at this time my gas mileage drops considerably. During the winter months, as long as the car is running fine, I just reset the check engine light. My Nissan mechanic claims, the check engine light could be a false code because of this: MTBE, read on...

If your car is getting poor gas mileage, call State Legislature, not your mechanic. The idea of "watering down" gasoline by adding oxygen was to lean out old carbureted cars so that they would pollute less. In an old carbureted car running rich (too much fuel), the move to oxygenated gas significantly reduces carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emission. However, the old carbureted cars that were running lean, would stall on the oxygenated gas unless they are adjusted to use more fuel. These cars were designed for unoxygenated gasoline that is more volatile then the current gasoline. We pay extra for gasoline with less energy so that old carbureted cars running rich will pollute less. For those of us with Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), the oxygen sensor detects the added oxygen and says more fuel, more fuel. Unoxygenated gasoline has more energy per gallon then oxygenated gasoline. This means that it takes more gasoline to supply the same energy. In other words, my gas mileage sucks from Nov. till April every year.

Other side effects of adding oxygen to gasoline wa rubber hose deterioration and rust of fuel lines. Many old cars were not designed for Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether because of rubber hoses which would crack and leak. In addition, an oxygenated compound, whether it be Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether or Alcohol, absorbs water from damp air, causing fuel lines to corrode from the inside and eventually leak. I have been told that the number of car fires in old cars had increased significantly for a few years after MTBE was introduced. I suspect that many of the metal gas tanks at the Gas Stations also rusted because of MTBE, releasing gasoline and the carcinogenic MTBE into the ground water. Since oxygenated compounds are water soluble, MTBE easily mixes with ground water which can rapidly spread it for miles, making the water unfit to drink. To prevent leakage of MTBE, cars built after MTBE was introduced used fuel line materials that would not corrode with MTBE.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: MooseKnuckle
It's still here: New York Prohibits the sale of gasoline containing MTBE effective January 1, 2004.
2004!!! man they need to get on it... well hey atleast you guys outlawed non hands free cell fone's!! I would make the trade for that... can't wait till that law makes it here :D

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: LAUST
Well did you get it done or what? ;)
I did - the torch didn't get it, so I bought a long arse wrench handle and it popped right off. Perhaps the torch did help though. I'll never know. I updated another thread on this, in fact - anyway the new O2 sensor is on there now. If the light doesn't pop up again (the code in the computer may be so old that it's giving errors - if I'd gotten this repaired at nissan they would have updated the code since o2 oversensitivity has been a problem on these cars) I'll be good to go.

Also got the thermostat off on the sentra finally and the last day or two have been purging the air out since I didn't drain it properly it was FULL of air, but it's pretty much done now and the car, after a test drive, was running great.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: LAUST
Well did you get it done or what? ;)
I did - the torch didn't get it, so I bought a long arse wrench handle and it popped right off. Perhaps the torch did help though. I'll never know. I updated another thread on this, in fact - anyway the new O2 sensor is on there now. If the light doesn't pop up again (the code in the computer may be so old that it's giving errors - if I'd gotten this repaired at nissan they would have updated the code since o2 oversensitivity has been a problem on these cars) I'll be good to go.

Also got the thermostat off on the sentra finally and the last day or two have been purging the air out since I didn't drain it properly it was FULL of air, but it's pretty much done now and the car, after a test drive, was running great.

Never hurts to recheck the tightness of all bolts, etc.. After you finish the job.

waitman

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2002
With a torch,some liquid wrench, a small hammer, and a wrench I would have it out in 10 minutes tops. Remember a time while trying to get an axle shaft apart, the darn thing wouldn't budge, Tied a log chain to it, then tied the log chain to a tree, heated that puppy up nice and hot. Then I picked up the log chain as high as I could reach and slung it to the ground, that axle came out like a ballistic missile narrowly missing me. tried it several times without the heat didn't work. moral to the story, use the heat!

Bluerotor

Jun 18, 2018
Spent too much time trying to remove aft O2 sensor on 05 Camry. Desertdweller suggested cutting wires and using a regular six point socket and it worked. Thank you very much. BTW, the O2 sensor sockets had begun to round off the corners making me very uncomortable.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wonder if OP ever managed to get the sensor out. :p

I don't really work on cars much beyond changing my tires but can't you just leave it in place and then make a new hole for the new one?

Answered in post #108.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I had one that refused to come off a 1996 maxima. Even with mapp gas, tons of pb blaster, it wouldn't budge. Finally ended up ripping the threads out of the bung when I used a 5 foot cheater bar on my flex handle. The fix was to grind the bung flat, weld a nut onto it, and thread the new 02 sensor in to that. Worked well, I reset the light, and it never came back.