How to get rid of new notification icon

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Same owner lol
That's why I worry.

I just hope Anand put in stipulations as to how these forums are run for current and future site owners in contract upon its sale.

The annoying engagement bell could have a loophole in it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That's why I worry.

I just hope Anand put in stipulations as to how these forums are run for current and future site owners in contract upon its sale.

I switched to Brave Browser and blocked it. I didn't use an adblocker before on AnandTech, but they left me no choice.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Didn't do anything and it is gone. :)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You would be okay with these forums turning into the engagement circus knows as Tom's Hardware Forums?
I've just accepted that every website that I go to, is trying to make money off of me in some way. From email, social media, articles, to shopping. They all are monetizing their viewership in some method. If I choose to use their site for anything, I go in knowing that fact.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001

Very unlikely that a buyer would agree to such stipulations, would strip away the value and leave just the burdens.

I've just accepted that every website that I go to, is trying to make money off of me in some way. From email, social media, articles, to shopping. They all are monetizing their viewership in some method. If I choose to use their site for anything, I go in knowing that fact.

Yes, to block, you must know. A little tip to others: Don't just keep blocking bad site elements by domain, make them global then make exceptions per-site when it breaks something important. It's less work that way.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, I have had that annoying big bell at AF when using Chrome, posted in Forum Issues and was directed to this thread... which I've participated in before, when I had the problem using Firefox.

I turned off Adblock and installed Adblock Plus. Don't know if that's a good idea, I can't find a way to configure ABP, exceptions or anything.

Anyway, the hind I needed was the involvement of onesignal.com. I have been using NOSCRIPT, and had onesignal TRUSTED in NOSCRIPT. I turned that back to DEFAULT and the BELL went away.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I just now noticed there is no bell.
I havent done anything to change anything. So nice, but why?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I just now noticed there is no bell.
I havent done anything to change anything. So nice, but why?
I don't know why, but I had it consistently using Chrome for the last few weeks until I un-TRUSTED onesignal.com in NOSCRIPT this morning. It's kind of like having a painful boil on your face. Nasty big red bell covering actionable part of the screen that won't go away. Untrusting onesignal.com doesn't seem to have messed up anything here.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I have never seen a big bell on the screen but I only allow anandtech through noscript. Googletagmanager, onesignal, scorecardresearch and servebom are blocked in ublock origin. I still get alert notifications in the upper right corner by the little bell. I don't see tweets though which is a PITA.

If you go to add-ons - extensions and click the three dots next to adblockplus and click options does it let you make an exception or rule? Not that I know that is your problem just pointing it out since that is the way it works with ublock origin.

Edit: I'm using firefox.