How to get rid of new notification icon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You want to see what is even stupider than the bell? When you block it with adblock, it is still there hidden so you still can't click on the arrows lol.

G6CwKOA.png

So I blocked the invisible one.

And I still couldn't click on the arrows.

So I blocked another invisible element.

Such terrible design.

I didn't have to block it manually at home. Firewall with DSNBL took care of it

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
not on the work computer tho ABP is blocking something

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have a bell in the bottom right and it says when I hover over it with my mouse cursor it that I have blocked notifications. I access that and it says Unblock Notifications. Fine, but nothing on it is active, I can't click anything. I see nothing in my account, nowhere where I can unblock notifications. I can't remember doing anything that would have blocked them in the first place. The notification at the bottom right indicates it's involved with www.onesignal.com and is multi-platform. I've never heard of them, have no idea why they are involved with Anandtech and my account in particular and don't know how to deal with this. I DO LIKE NOTIFICATIONS! What's going on with this???

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Here's what the graphic looks like when I click the bell in the lower right portion of my Firefox window when I'm at Anandtech Forums now:Onesignal graphic.jpg

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
About 4 posts down from this one:

Thread in OT:

I haven't had any issues with this so i haven't kept up on if there's a fix or not.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I managed to get rid of that bell after a lot of putzing around. One thing that was necessary was restarting my browser, Firefox. I also messed with a setting I accessed by clicking the padlock icon to the left of the URL bar, before that restart. I turned on notifications. Hopefully, I won't be bugged but that. I remember being bugged by frequent notifications from Anandtech concerning stuff outside of the forums. That I didn't like. So far I don't see that today, though. I am again getting notifications of new posts to threads I'm subscribed to, also reactions to my posts, which are things I really like.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't want notifications. I don't want this bell.
Well, I got rid of the bell and turned notifications on in the same actions. So far so good, nothing's annoying me. Have no idea what caused the problem to pop up a couple days ago.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Well, I got rid of the bell and turned notifications on in the same actions. So far so good, nothing's annoying me. Have no idea what caused the problem to pop up a couple days ago.
I wonder if the problem was if you have nothing checked under "Receive a notification when someone…" is when the bell shows up. Checking a few of the boxes makes the bell go away???
I wonder if the forums just started using OneSignal & that's why the problems just started?

I don't want notifications. I don't want this bell.
Under "Receive a notification when someone…", try checking the box next to the least annoying option & see if the bell goes away. Unless you have things set to send an email to you, all a notification does is appear in the upper right corner of the forums.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I wish "they" would address the aggravating issues at Anandtech Forums that have persisted for many months, in particular bolding interior text spilling all over and below the target, similar issue for other modifications, I'm sure. Also, linking an interior string, likely as not spills all over the remaining message. It took me 1/2 hour today to properly format a message here and it should have taken ONE MINUTE! MADNESS, I TELL YOU! Someone in this forum said "next release" ... when the hell is that going to be?

Reactions: Meghan54

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've been told through a reliable source that this is an annoyance measure made to entice people into enabling notifications. This way they can track people and show them targeted ads. It's also meant to get people to keep coming back through notifications which in turn increases revenue. It's meant to test a persons tolerance so that future intrusions, such as increased monitization through more ad placements, can occur.

Reactions: NTMBK

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
@jpishgar
@jsimenhoff
Can you guys address this?
This big-assed bell makes it hard
to navigate. Especially for mod duties.
Please read this thread.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I've been told through a reliable source that this is an annoyance measure made to entice people into enabling notifications. This way they can track people and show them targeted ads. It's also meant to get people to keep coming back through notifications which in turn increases revenue. It's meant to test a persons tolerance so that future intrusions, such as increased monitization through more ad placements, can occur.

All it is going to do is to annoy me enough to switch browser on my phone to one that blocks scripts and ads just for this site.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
All it is going to do is to annoy me enough to switch browser on my phone to one that blocks scripts and ads just for this site.
Ah, you post on a phone. That explains your characteristic terseness. I had figured it was because you have weak typing skills.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I'm a missing something here? The notifications is see are on the forums only.

Go into your account, click on "Preferences", scroll down to "Receive a notification when someone…", check whichever boxes you want.
When you come to the forums there's a red icon at the top of the page say if someone "Quotes your message:"

Are you guys getting some other notification?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Go into your account, click on "Preferences", scroll down to "Receive a notification when someone…", check whichever boxes you want.
When you come to the forums there's a red icon at the top of the page say if someone "Quotes your message:"

Yeah, it was something else. It presents itself as a bell like the one in the top right but it's in the BOTTOM right... and it's bigger, about maybe 2x as big by area and a different color. IIRC, it's brown. When you hover your mouse over it you get that crazy message and I couldn't make out how to deal with it. Meantime, I had none of the notifications I did want, i.e. when someone quotes you or a thread you're subscribed to has a fresh post. Mine went away after I fiddled for an hour or two with various things. Can't remember exactly right now, maybe I posted upwards in the thread.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

It rears its ugly head when you block website notification in your browser. Symptom
Screenshot_20200129-075705.png

My solution was to install Brave Browser, that way they don't even get the pennies I provided when I used Chrome and got ads.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It rears its ugly head when you block website notification in your browser. Symptom
View attachment 17076

My solution was to install Brave Browser, that way they don't even get the pennies I provided when I used Chrome and got ads.
Is there a downside to Brave Browser? Never heard of it before your posts of yesterday or so.