How many of you have actually read the Bible?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Have you read the Bible?

• Yes, I've read the whole thing

• Yes, I've read parts of it

• Nope, haven't read it

Results are only viewable after voting.

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
Nope.
I am waiting for Peter Jackson or George Lucas to turn the books into a movie trilogy first.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
That's what has been suggested to me, but I look at it as a single book. I go from page 1 to X, left to right like every other book :)

I tried that and my brain damn near shut down in the middle of Deuteronomy. Remember...its not one book. Its a series of books.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
So before I can not believe in any one of the many ridiculous religions out there, I have to read through aaaaaaallllll the texts?

No thanks.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
I always found it interesting that many, many people who say they don't believe in the Bible have never actually read it, and those who have, I wonder how much they've read. Heck, many people who say they believe it hardly read it!

For those who believe and those who don't: wouldn't it make sense to read the thing and really make your own decisions about it?

Not baiting, flaming etc. Just food for thought. You can't really make a decision about something you know nothing about.

ive read enough, between being raised in a very religious family and being sent to a christian school and a boatload of church time, nevermind the large portions that i have read on my own

much of the bible is boring, i tend to skip over boring things.

/god was so much of a dick by Numbers that i gave up on reading the whole thing

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Didn't we already have a thread on this a couple months ago, that Atheists were more well versed in religion and knew more of the details than the believers???

I went to Catholic school my whole life so of course I read the bible. Read it every day and went to church all the time.

How do you know if Scientologists are crazy??? Have you read all their doctrines? You don't need to read everything about a religion to not like it, it just helps.

Wordplay

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2010
I read up to Kings 1 New Life Version. When I asked a few questions about some of the passages I read about a few people looked at me like I was crazy.

A couple of people told me that translation of the bible didn't do a good job of translating based on the questions I asked or statements I made. Once people told me that I put the bible down. Too many ways to translate the meaning of it to suit someones specific idea of what it should mean.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I always found it interesting that many, many people who say they don't believe in the Bible have never actually read it, and those who have, I wonder how much they've read. Heck, many people who say they believe it hardly read it!

For those who believe and those who don't: wouldn't it make sense to read the thing and really make your own decisions about it?

Not baiting, flaming etc. Just food for thought. You can't really make a decision about something you know nothing about.

Did you read L. Ron Hubbard's Dianetics before deciding you weren't a Scientologist?

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I tried that and my brain damn near shut down in the middle of Deuteronomy. Remember...its not one book. Its a series of books.

I know, I'm past those books, I forgot the book I'm on. Like is said ive been at it while. I read it in spurts, and it's the KJ version.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Once Genesis through Revelations, countless times various parts, especially in the New Testament. Took an Old Testament and a New Testament course in the Christian school I went to from Grade 9-12. Went to numerous Bible Study groups.

Was full on Born Again, now Atheist.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I read it cover to cover, from front to back. I consider reading the bible at least once as essential to being an educated person in our society. Not believing the words therein is fine, but to not read it at all leaves one unable to fully appreciate a great deal of our cultural heritage from liturgical music to Monty Python.

Spoiler alert!

Jesus gets killed, John goes on gnarly trip!

Last edited:

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
It's shocking that in 2011, people still believe this nonsense. It's similar to still believing in Greek mythology. The reason the term "mythology" is now used to describe the old Geek religion is because no one believes it anymore. Hopefully we'll soon see the day that we refer to Christianity as Christian mythology.

And yes, I've read the Bible MANY times.

Oct 19, 2000
I haven't read it, but was forced to go to church every Sunday as a child. Once I got old enough to actually listen and consider everything that was being told to me, it all sounded like horse shit.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
It's shocking that in 2011, people still believe this nonsense. It's similar to still believing in Greek mythology. The reason the term "mythology" is now used to describe the old Geek religion is because no one believes it anymore. Hopefully we'll soon see the day that we refer to Christianity as Christian mythology.

And yes, I've read the Bible MANY times.

I believe the "old Geek religion" is atheism but, that's one I haven't studied much. I hope you choose to see the light one day but, if not, God bless.;)

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I've read about 90% of it, so voted for parts. Bored in religion class, but not bored enough to read the Psalms.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Ive read a majority of The New Testament, a bit of the Koran and some testaments that were not included in the Bible.

I am Catholic, and for those that have great faith in the God, the words of the Bible may change temporarily for you by the Holy Spirit. Incredible.

All the people that claim to be atheist because they have not personally experienced proof of God, would have all the proof they need with just the faith the size of a mustard seed to see what I have seen and heard. There is no doubt in my mind about God's existance and Heaven. The numerous miracles and prayers answered. Is my life perfect? No. Have I been through hellish nightmares physically and financially? Yes. But those setbacks just increase my faith because I recieve aid upon request.

Some requests take patience and time. Some are rejected. But the Lord helps those who help themselves. Ask and ye shall receive. The prayers of a rightous man availeth much, so you have to be very careful about your personal behavior down to the smallest things like cursing, etc. Am I perfect? No. Do I make mistakes? You bet.

Life without the teachings of Jesus and the love of God would be unimaginable.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Read the whole thing, old and new. In Chinese :p

my bro wanted to pick up a church going chick and I got dragged along. Being a bookworm I read the whole thing.

Last edited: