Info How did you get rid of bedbugs?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hahaha... well since it wasn't stuck then nothing works! I put the cops lock on, on purpose because I wanted my post to stand out.
You were right to do so. I found your post to be profound and insightful. The way you used caps lock drew my attention to the factual information contained therein. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter if you have one. Thank you.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hahaha... well since it wasn't stuck then nothing works! I put the cops lock on, on purpose because I wanted my post to stand out.
Posting it two more times (bolded and IN ALL CAPS) in the same thread stood out as well.

Sometimes you just want all eyes to be on you at any cost. ;)

Dance Friday The 13th.gif

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

First time on the internet? ;)

bugs-bug.gif

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
TRY THIS BEFORE YOU KNOCK IT OK...BED BUGS ARE VERY SIMPLE AND INEXPENSIVE TO GET RID OF... I GOT 100% OF THEM IN LESS THAN ONE WEEK AND ALL IT COST ME WAS 9 WHOLE DOLLARS AND SOME SWEEPING AND VACUUMING. SOOO PLEASE DO NOT GO PAY PEST CONTROL A THOUSAND DOLLARS AND THROW ALL YOUR THINGS OUT. ITS CALLED DIOTA
MACEOUS EARTH! IM NOT EXACTLY SURE WHAT IT IS MADE OF BUT ITS USED FOR BUG CONTROL AROUND CHICKENS AND FARM ANIMALS. ITS GROUND UP SO FINE THAT ITS LIKE CHARDS OF GLASS STABBING INTO EXOSKELETAL BUGS SO IT WORKS ON ROACHES VERY WELL ALSO. SO WHILE ITS STIRRED UP IN THE AIR ITS NOT VERY GOOD FOR YOUR LUNGS SO GO TO YOUR LOCAL FEED STORE AND BUY A BAG AND GET YA A MASK AND SOME GLOVES. WEARING YOUR MASK AND GLOVES GO ALL AROUND WHERE YOUR BUGS ARE AND JUST DUST THE WHOLE AREA. ONCE THE DUST SETTLES THEN ITS COMOLETELY HARMLESS TO HUMANS AND ANIMALS. LEAVE IT FOR SEVERAL DAYS AND THEN VACUUM. REPEAT THOSE STEPS...AND YOU MIGHT HAVE TO REPEAT A 3RD TIME BUT PROBABLY NOT. WHAT HAPPENS IS THOSE STUPID BUGS LIKE TO HERD TOGWTHER WHEN THEY HIDE SO WHEN THEY RUN THRU THE DUST IT STICKS TO THEIR LEGS AND THEN THEY LEAVE TRACES OF IT EVERYWJERE AND TAKE IT BACK TO THE HERD AND IF IM THINKING CORRECTLY, ONCE THEY GO THRU THE DUST THEY DIE IN 24 HOURS. YOU MAY HAVE TO REPEAT AFTER 10 DAYS OR SO BECAUSE ALL THE LITTLE EGGS WILL HATCH THAT WERE THERE. PROMISE THIS WORKS AND YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY OUT YOUR SAVINGS OR LEAVE YOUR HOME EVEN. ANDDDD....YOURE WELCOME!!!
I'LL SEE YOUR ALL CAPS INTRUSION AND RAISE YOU FONT SIZE AND COLOR!!

Reactions: BudAshes

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
TRY THIS BEFORE YOU KNOCK IT OK...BED BUGS ARE VERY SIMPLE AND INEXPENSIVE TO GET RID OF... I GOT 100% OF THEM IN LESS THAN ONE WEEK AND ALL IT COST ME WAS 9 WHOLE DOLLARS AND SOME SWEEPING AND VACUUMING. SOOO PLEASE DO NOT GO PAY PEST CONTROL A THOUSAND DOLLARS AND THROW ALL YOUR THINGS OUT. ITS CALLED DIOTA
MACEOUS EARTH! IM NOT EXACTLY SURE WHAT IT IS MADE OF BUT ITS USED FOR BUG CONTROL AROUND CHICKENS AND FARM ANIMALS. ITS GROUND UP SO FINE THAT ITS LIKE CHARDS OF GLASS STABBING INTO EXOSKELETAL BUGS SO IT WORKS ON ROACHES VERY WELL ALSO. SO WHILE ITS STIRRED UP IN THE AIR ITS NOT VERY GOOD FOR YOUR LUNGS SO GO TO YOUR LOCAL FEED STORE AND BUY A BAG AND GET YA A MASK AND SOME GLOVES. WEARING YOUR MASK AND GLOVES GO ALL AROUND WHERE YOUR BUGS ARE AND JUST DUST THE WHOLE AREA. ONCE THE DUST SETTLES THEN ITS COMOLETELY HARMLESS TO HUMANS AND ANIMALS. LEAVE IT FOR SEVERAL DAYS AND THEN VACUUM. REPEAT THOSE STEPS...AND YOU MIGHT HAVE TO REPEAT A 3RD TIME BUT PROBABLY NOT. WHAT HAPPENS IS THOSE STUPID BUGS LIKE TO HERD TOGWTHER WHEN THEY HIDE SO WHEN THEY RUN THRU THE DUST IT STICKS TO THEIR LEGS AND THEN THEY LEAVE TRACES OF IT EVERYWJERE AND TAKE IT BACK TO THE HERD AND IF IM THINKING CORRECTLY, ONCE THEY GO THRU THE DUST THEY DIE IN 24 HOURS. YOU MAY HAVE TO REPEAT AFTER 10 DAYS OR SO BECAUSE ALL THE LITTLE EGGS WILL HATCH THAT WERE THERE. PROMISE THIS WORKS AND YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY OUT YOUR SAVINGS OR LEAVE YOUR HOME EVEN. ANDDDD....YOURE WELCOME!!!

Shouting does not help your cause and is not welsome here. Please lose the caps and the bold text.

admin allisolm

Reactions: Captante

Rayzn707

Mar 26, 2022
I bought whats called diatomaceous earth. Its in powder form. I got an old mustard plastic bottle and filled it with the (de). I then went and sprayed it into cracks along baseboards, window seals, any holes, outlets, any smoke detectors or heater or airconditioner control boxes and bed mattresses, and in and around any furniture. Put it in cushions of chairs or couch and under them aswell. Same with any bedroom furniture. Then i bought isoprophyl rubbing alcohol the strongest one 90%. And i put half alcohol and half water mixture in a spray bottle and sprayed pictures, books, clothes in closet, ceilings, cracks. Where ever you want to spray it basically. Those two combinations got rid of all the bed bugs. I also covered mattresses and furniture. By that i mean i got a huge roll of saran wrap and wrapped up mattresses and box spings with saran wrap and the biggest garbage bags you can find and covered beds, furniture with it. For beds or furniture with legs on it, i took and cutt off the bottoms of 2 liter plastic bottles and put the legs of furniture in it and put enough vaseline inside the bottom of them to cover the legs. Then i put 2 sided sticky tape all the way up the legs of beds or furniture to keep the bed bugs from crawling up the bed. If you do all these things and continue to use the (de) and the alcohol spray probably twice a month or more depending on infestation this will kill and get rid of your bed bug problem gauranteed. The exterminators did not eradicate the bugs. The (de) and the rubbing alcohol together and the covering of furniture was what killed the bugs off. You dont have to spray the alcohol directly on the bugs as some suggest to kill them. Spraying the areas where you know they are will kill them. If you happen to see them you can spray it on them directly. Hope this helps those fighting those nasty bugs.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
As a public service I'm providing the above edited for good English:

Try this before you knock it ok...bed bugs are very simple and inexpensive to get rid of... I got 100% of them in less than one week and all it cost me was 9 whole dollars and some sweeping and vacuuming. Sooo please do not go pay pest control a thousand dollars and throw all your things out. It's called diotamaceous earth! I'm not exactly sure what it is made of but its used for bug control around chickens and farm animals. It's ground up so fine that It's like chards of glass stabbing into exoskeletal bugs so it works on roaches very well also. So while It's stirred up in the air it's not very good for your lungs so go to your local feed store and buy a bag and get ya a mask and some gloves. Wearing your mask and gloves go all around where your bugs are and just dust the whole area. Once the dust settles then it's completely harmless to humans and animals. Leave it for several days and then vacuum. Repeat those steps...and you might have to repeat a 3rd time but probably not. What happens is those stupid bugs like to herd together when they hide so when they run thru the dust it sticks to their legs and then they leave traces of it everywhere and take it back to the herd and if I'm thinking correctly, once they go thru the dust they die in 24 hours. You may have to repeat after 10 days or so because all the little eggs will hatch that were there. Promise this works and you don't have to pay out your savings or leave your home even. andddd....you're welcome!!!
- -
Edit: I do have a whole unopened bag of diatomaceous earth in my garage but AFAIK I have never encountered a bed bug in my life. - Muse

Last edited:
Reactions: ElFenix

jocie506

Dec 13, 2022
I'm trying to figure out if this is a bed bug that my daughter squished earlier. I didn't see any other ones, but she said this was on her arm. I had just washed all of her bedding, blankets, etc and vacuumed her stuffed animals.
Any assistance will be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20221213_211420415.jpg
    IMG_20221213_211420415.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 17

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
IMG_20221213_211420415.jpg

Probably? It certainly looks like one but hard to be sure without a clearer pic ... how big was it?

Also when it was "squished" was there blood? :oops:

jocie506

Dec 13, 2022
It was about the size of a big ant. Also, yes, dark ish looking blood, but there weren't any marks on my daughter, so I'm guessing she caught it in time.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If it was full of red blood it already ate.... and I'll go 99% it was a bed-bug with that additional information.

The other critical consideration is where it came from. Were you guys out shopping or was this right after she got out of bed? Best case it was a "hitchhiker" and you killed it but you have to make sure.

OTOH If you've lucked out and caught an infestation early you need to get on top of it fast.... in a few months you could be over-run.

Last edited:
Reactions: highland145

jocie506

Dec 13, 2022
She had just gone to bed, after being at school. We had an issue maybe a week and a half ago where we thought we had a flea thing cause our dog's collar had expired, and he was sleeping in her room. She had gotten little bites on her arms and back. I had washed all of her linens, and stuff and took out all her stuffed animals, and vacuumed and sprayed the mattress. We got a cover for her mattress, and it seemed to be fine, and then I put her sheets back on and that seemed fine. I added her stuffed animals yesterday and now tonight is when she said she found the bug. I checked her entire bed and re vacuumed and found nothing in her bed.
I'm going to put her stuffed animals tomorrow in the dryer and get her a new mattress. And try to figure out where they came from, because I have no idea.

Dec 10, 2005
She had just gone to bed, after being at school. We had an issue maybe a week and a half ago where we thought we had a flea thing cause our dog's collar had expired, and he was sleeping in her room. She had gotten little bites on her arms and back. I had washed all of her linens, and stuff and took out all her stuffed animals, and vacuumed and sprayed the mattress. We got a cover for her mattress, and it seemed to be fine, and then I put her sheets back on and that seemed fine. I added her stuffed animals yesterday and now tonight is when she said she found the bug. I checked her entire bed and re vacuumed and found nothing in her bed.
I'm going to put her stuffed animals tomorrow in the dryer and get her a new mattress. And try to figure out where they came from, because I have no idea.
No need to toss the mattress. You can get special bags to seal the mattress. You especially don't want to get a new one right now if you haven't identified, removed, and cured any infestation. Consider also getting some traps as well to see if you can capture some of the critters for confirmation.

Also, consider switching your dog to an oral anti-flea/tick medication. Allegedly, NexGard can provide some protection for dogs against bed bugs, which could also help control any infestation you have.

jocie506

Dec 13, 2022
Thanks I'll look into that for my dog. We tried the traps, and had 4 of them around and on her bed, and caught nothing. I'll try again.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If the bed has legs, make sure nothing else is touching the floor and get the sticky traps that go on the bottom of those legs... a lot of the time the bugs hang out near the bed not on it.

That plus a mattress-bag and bedding/laundry/stuffed toys given an extensive run through the dryer on high heat will tell you a lot about how bad the problem is.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
If the bed has legs, make sure nothing else is touching the floor and get the sticky traps that go on the bottom of those legs... a lot of the time the bugs hang out near the bed not on it.

That plus a mattress-bag and bedding/laundry/stuffed toys given an extensive run through the dryer on high heat will tell you a lot about how bad the problem is.
also smear vasoline on the legs. That will really mess them up.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Check the seams of the mattress, look really carefully, you might find them hiding there.

I can’t go into my story again but I was the family member who reacted to the bed bug bites. We hired a pro, threw out a sofa, box springs, mattresses, books, anything close to where bed bugs had been found. Every piece of cloth in the house washed in hot water & puf in a hot dryer.

All told,the problem cost me around 5K, the thing is the pest control man insisted he gain access to the landlords upstairs apartment, when he did he discovered a half empty bedroom ( right above my living room) he found bed bug markings & carcasses & told us the problem had started upstairs. Landlord had hid bedbug ridden mattress & box spring in the garage a few weeks before we noticed the problem & put up signs trying to keep us out of the garage.

He later admitted to the pest control guy that his son had brought them home & he went & bought bug bombs to get rid of them.

We should have moved right away, not because of the bugs ( which could happen to anyone) but rather due to his lies & attempted deception. In the end he paid the pest control man but nothing more. This was one of the most tiring, tramatic experiences I have ever had.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I got them from a new recliner from Farmers Furniture. I still have ptsd from the infestation and we were amazingly lucky. I know more shit about them than I would ever want. PM me and I'll expand but...cimexa, long term garment bags, 3x4 heat tent, steamer(this, for sure), lemongrass oil in the shopvac, bed bedbug mattress covers, ....daily surveillance on the furniture. Every crease/seam. Twice. I'd search the couch and then repeat and find one.:rolleyes:

Traps on the floors with talc powder.