How are you going to feel the day Bush walks out of the Whitehouse?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: bctbct
Like a foul cancer has been purged

Unfortunately that cancer is going to leave a scar that will take a long time to heal. Hopefully someone will look back at what has been going on over the last 8 years, and if criminal activity is found, imprison the bastards.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Yeah. We'll exchange prostate cancer with breast cancer.
Prostate Cancer?? More like a malignant brain tumor.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Either way, deadly. Its semantics.

The war will not end.
The national budget will increase.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

I went through some of Mr Bush's failures because some people in this thread seemed to be in denial about this or think he did not do such a bad job of it.
Some of you really need to get a grip on reality.

Vietnam lasted longer, cost a LOT more money and resulted in 58,000 dead and on top of that resulted in wide spread protest marches across the country and even the use of National Guard troops on college campuses. Despite all of that it did not take us 'two or three generations' to recover.

oh, are we done? [/quote]
You need to learn how to quote people.... sheeeesh

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

The war will not end.
You mean having Bush as president is fatal and there's no cure?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

The war will not end.
You mean having Bush as president is fatal and there's no cure?

As far as the sovereignty of our country and our personal privacy? Yes.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Originally posted by: Engineer

Nation seems okay to me. Stock market's had multiple "record" highs during Bush's tenure.

LOL, both the Nasdaq and S&P are below the levels they were when Bush took office in 2001 and the Dow is up less than 15% in over 7 years. My savings account has done far better than that.
The Dow hit its record high in 2006, and even now is higher than the previous record, set in 2000.

Consider that when Slick left office, the economy was heading towards a recession, that's not too bad...especially with everything else that's gone on during that time.
Nasdaq also hit its record high while Bush was President. But stocks go up and down. You can't take a snapshot of one particular time period and apply that to someone's entire tenure.

BS, the Nasdaq's record high was over 5,000 when Clinton was in office, so it's nowhere near that when Bush was in office.

The two bolded statements above counteract each other so which is it, Bush had a record (which is now nearly 15% below that record) or that record in October 2007 (actually) is only a snapshot and doesn't count?

Sure, stocks go up and down and now with the entire general market (Russel 2000, S&P 500, Nasdaq) down in the last 7 years, I say that's not a snapshot, but a long term trend.

Economy was heading toward Recession when Clinton left office and is now heading toward recession with Bush. Throw in the fact that for 6 of the last 7 years, the "average" person's wages have been in recession (when compared to inflation), I would say that most people have had a personal recession propped up by credit spending for 6/7th's of the chimp's terms.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

Nation seems okay to me. Stock market's had multiple "record" highs during Bush's tenure.

LOL, both the Nasdaq and S&P are below the levels they were when Bush took office in 2001 and the Dow is up less than 15% in over 7 years. My savings account has done far better than that.
The Dow hit its record high in 2006, and even now is higher than the previous record, set in 2000.

Consider that when Slick left office, the economy was heading towards a recession, that's not too bad...especially with everything else that's gone on during that time.
Nasdaq also hit its record high while Bush was President. But stocks go up and down. You can't take a snapshot of one particular time period and apply that to someone's entire tenure.

BS, the Nasdaq's record high was over 5,000 when Clinton was in office, so it's nowhere near that when Bush was in office.

The two bolded statements above counteract each other so which is it, Bush had a record (which is now nearly 15% below that record) or that record in October 2007 (actually) is only a snapshot and doesn't count?

Sure, stocks go up and down and now with the entire general market (Russel 2000, S&P 500, Nasdaq) down in the last 7 years, I say that's not a snapshot, but a long term trend.

Economy was heading toward Recession when Clinton left office and is now heading toward recession with Bush. Throw in the fact that for 6 of the last 7 years, the "average" person's wages have been in recession (when compared to inflation), I would say that most people have had a personal recession propped up by credit spending for 6/7th's of the chimp's terms.

Hey, let's not forget Bushes record high deficits, record high number of uninsured, record high foreclosures, record high borrowing, record high spending, record high removal of civil liberties, record high.......gee, I could go on and on and on............

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Bush has been juggling numbers to get record scores and these numbers mean nothing because nothing backs them up.

Bush- "record number of Americans now own houses"

Reality is that we have a record number of foreclosures.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: techs

Hey, let's not forget Bushes record high deficits, record high number of uninsured, record high foreclosures, record high borrowing, record high spending, record high removal of civil liberties, record high.......gee, I could go on and on and on............

As I've said before...you aint seen nothing yet. In 8 years you'll look back and think we aint got it so bad now.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Terrible. He's been the best president in years. He has protected us from another terror attack for 6 years. The bend over surrender monkey democrats would have tucked tail long ago and instead of fighting terrorists overseas, we'd be seeing the war rage here. He has stood up against anti-christian establishments, isn't afraid to do what's right (e.g. Gitmo) and puts common sense above overly anal-retentive legal guidelines such as waterboarding and wiretapping, none of which are used against American citizens but terrorists/insurgents. I think he's been awesome. He has saved the country from a recession despite the post-911 tmosphere and hasn't bent to the Europeans on anything.

I wonder if this is how Mr Bush will be viewed in thirty years.

Of course. Have you ever read history books, or a Wikipedia even, that absolutely rips into a president? No. We as a nation have rose colored glasses on when viewing past presidents.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: techs

As I've said before...you aint seen nothing yet. In 8 years you'll look back and think we aint got it so bad now.
QFT

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Watching him walking away from the Whitehouse will be a relief.
Watching him go from there to his ranch rather than his jail cell will be painful.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Mixed emotion - like watching your school principal drive over the edge of a cliff on your new bicycle.
Glad because we're getting rid of him.
Sad because he's taken the economy, American goodwill and reputation, security etc down with him.

Sure we can buy a new bicycle but it will take money and time to save for it.

I would rather see him walk away and then apologize to the nation at the same time Cheney starts his prison term.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
Mixed emotion - like watching your school principal drive over the edge of a cliff on your new bicycle.
Glad because we're getting rid of him.
Sad because he's taken the economy, American goodwill and reputation, security etc down with him.

Sure we can buy a new bicycle but it will take money and time to save for it.

I would rather see him walk away and then apologize to the nation at the same time Cheney starts his prison term.

I'd like to see BOTH of them get on a bus headed for Prison.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Wont feel any better until the next president unfucks all his work.

Hell, that might be a full time project for the next 4 years.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i'll be glad that you haters will have to get a new hobby
If you don't hate everything the Bushwhacko administration has done to ruin our nation and our good name in the world, either you haven't been paying attention, or you're one of the murderers, traitors and torturers.
WOW!
Thats fairly harsh for a Senior Mod.

I suppose if I try hard enough I can make the assumption you weren't insulting.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: shortylickens

Hell, that might be a full time project for the next 40 years.

Fixed.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Craig234

Hell, that might be a full time project for the next 40 years.

Fixed.

Thanks Craig...That was my thought as well...Bushie has SOOOO fucked the country that it will take generations to un-fuck it. (if the damage can be undone at all)

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you don't hate everything the Bushwhacko administration has done to ruin our nation and our good name in the world, either you haven't been paying attention, or you're one of the murderers, traitors and torturers.
WOW!

LOL if you think that was insulting, you might want to stay out of this place because, obviously the thick skin guage indicates things are running low. :p

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
WOW!

As a famous liberal once said, extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.

Paul Krugman once wrote in a forward to his book, The Great Unravelling, about how citizens in democracies tend not to be able to appreciate the radical nature of revolutionary movements, and are unable to respond as those movements rise to power, the people saying surely that's all they'll do every step of the way, overrun. Harvey, in fact, is 'calling a spade a spade', not using mealy mouthed nicities when talking about very not nice murders. He's posting as a poster, not as a mod, in the comments.

I don't have the relevant Krugman quote handy, but here's a related one from several years ago on the need to point out the radical nature of the modern right-wing movement.

There's a need not to underplay the radical nature of the current administration, but rather to call it what it is, and deal with it for what it is.

... [T]here's a political story that runs through much of what has happened to this country lately - the story of the rise and growing dominance of a radical political movement, right here in the U.S.A.

I'm talking, of course, about America's radical right - a movement that now effectively controls the White House, Congress, much of the judiciary, and a good slice of the media. The dominance of that movement changes everything: old rules about politics and policy no longer apply...

A political sea change

Most people have been slow to realize just how awesome a sea change has taken place in the domestic political scene.

During the 2000 election, many people thought that nothing much was at stake; during the first two years of the Bush administration, many pundits insisted that the radically conservative bent of that administration was only a temporary maneuver, that Bush would tack back to the center after solidifing his base. And the public still has little sense of how radical our leading politicians really are (bold mine - Petoffen). A striking example: in the fall of 2001, when focus groups were asked to react to Republican proposals for a retroactive corporate tax cut... members of the focus groups literally refused to believe the group leaders' descrioption of the policy.

To take the most straightforward example: In 2001, even many liberals thought that one shouldn't make too much fuss about Bush's fiscal irresponsibility. The tax cut isn't a good idea, they said, but it isn't all that important. But by 2003, we saw the unprecedented spectacle of an administration proposing huge additional tax cuts not just in the face of record deficits, but in the middle of a war. ("Nothing is more important in the face of a war than cutting taxes," delcared House majority leader Tom DeLay.)

Another example: those who suggested the Republicans would exploit September 11 for political advantage were quickly denounced for undermining national unity. Yet they did - indeed, during the 2002 election campaign Republican supported ran ads linking Democratic senator Tom Daschle with Saddam Hussein...

It seems clear to me that one should regard America's right-wing movement... as a revolutionary power... That is, a movement who leaders do not accept the legitimacy of our current political system.

Am I overstating the case? In fact, there's ample evidence that key elements of the coalition that now runs the country believe that some long-established American political and social institutions should not, in principle, exist - and do not accept the rules that the rest of us have taken for granted.

Consider, for example, the welfare state as we know it - New Deal programs like Social Security and unemployment insurance, Great Society programs like Medicare. If you read the literature eminating from the Heritage Foundation, which drives the bush administration's economic ideology, you discover a very radical agenda: Heritage doesn't just want to scale back New Deal and Great Society programs, it regards the very existence of those programs as a violation of basic principles.

Or consider foreign policy. Since World War II the United States has built its foreign policy around international institutions, and has tried to make it clear that it is not an old-fashioned imperialist power, which uses military force as it sees fit. But if you follow the foreign policy views of the neo-conservative intellectuals who fomented the war with Iraq, you learn that they have contempt for all that - Richard Perle, [former] chairman of a key Pentagon advisory board, dismissed the "liberal conceit of safety through international law administered by international institutions." They aren't hesitant about the use of force; one prominent thinker close to the administration, Michael Ledeen of the American Enterprise Institute, declared that "we are a warlike people and we love war." The idea that the war in Iraq is just a pilot project for a series of splendid little wars seemed, at first, a leftist fantasy - but many people close to the administration have made it clear that they regard this war as only a beginning...