Hogwarts Legacy

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I couldn't find any existing thread for this game on this subforum or the console gaming subforum (the game appears to be coming out for Xbox/Playstation/Switch/PC).

The gameplay reveal was shown today and the game looks really good (surprisingly to me).

Long video, but worth the watch in my opinion. The game looks like it could be the Hogwarts game many fans have been waiting over a decade for.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Visually very good looking and it will certainly provide a strong escapist element for hardcore HP fans, but the combat in the game looks very... One dimensional. Basically all the character ever did was stand in one spot and whip out half a dozen spells that spazzed out enemies and KO'ed them.

Naturally the video tried to make it look as flashy as possible, but the best hope I can see for the combat is something like The Force Awakens without the hack n slash elements, which frankly looks a little lean.

It's a little funny how underutilized a huge IP like HP is in terms of solid "life at Hogwarts" games outside of the standard movie tie in stuff.

WB is usually on top of this kind of thing, generally putting out very solid (if a little formulaic, never as bad as Ubisoft) games for their IPs like the Arkham series, the LOTR Shadow Series, hell even Mad Max got a game.

As such I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt, but will as always refrain from any purchasing until the game is 1yr+ old, on heavy discount, patched to the 9's, and bundled with all DLC at 90% off.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
As such I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt
I've gone from skeptical back when the initial trailer was released last year to slightly optimistic/hopeful from the latest gameplay reveal.

Still 9+ months out from it's release, so plenty of time for them to show off more that makes it look less appealing, or maybe they've really got a gem on their hands. Time will tell.

Reactions: SAAA

SAAA

May 14, 2014
If just 1/10 of what they have shown works 1/10 as well as promised it's going to be a blast from day 1. I'm even going to ignore bugs and whatnot at release given the stakes here... honestly I will probably lose hours alone just wandering at scenery and exploring all the nooks and cranny of the school and surroundings.

I'm more sceptical about combat above all else indeed as that's a bit harder to do in game real time than a movie: if enemies started attacking you at every occasion rather than standing there the difficulty would be greater than Dark Souls, on the other hand if they feel like low level goons hopefully there's a way to amp-up their aggressiveness.

They've shown three very different approaches already between stealth, potion/plants/beasts aided and pure magic dueling. If each style has enough room to work all the game replayability would be excellent, on top of the four houses you can choose too.

Reactions: mnewsham

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I admit I would really look forward to playing a PC thats from House Slytherin but who is also not a complete dick.

Someone can be cunning, shrewd, intelligent, and ambitious while also not being an insufferable prick.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Yeah, not being shoved into a house and forced to play Harry is already a big step for a Harry Potter universe game. Setting the world in the late 1800s makes it a lot easier to get away from any known existing characters and major plot pieces to create almost whatever world they want.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
After watching the video, the biggest thing that came to mind for me was how it seemed like this one game was built from two somewhat disparate elements: the Hogwarts life simulator and the Goblin uprising story. Both of those aforementioned elements could be their own game, but they're really here as just two parts of one game. So.. will both parts feel fleshed out enough to not feel like a tacked-on element? In other words, will going to class in the game feel like a fun and rewarding aspect, or just something that you're forced to do between missions. I am a little worried that it could be more of the latter since -- if I remember correctly -- the game appears to also have talent trees. I think it would be interesting if the classes served as the equivalent of talent points. It would make it rather hard to reset your "points", but at least it would feel more applicable.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Apart from the dire voice animation & missing enemy AI it does look alright, not entirely sure I want to go back to school at my age... Did anyone else notice the Goblin chief looks a lot like a Mordor Orc?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
This port appears to have several major issues. The scuttlebutt is that Denuvo strikes again, causing stuttering. There is also speculation about the CPU being forced to do the asset decompression and streaming as with certain other next gen console ports. I watched someone playing on a 10400f and 3050, and it did seem like the GPU was waiting around on the CPU whenever running around quickly. Watching someone play on a 5800X 3D and 3060ti the stuttering was not nearly as common or as bad. GPU usage was higher too.

That points back to Denuvo being the culprit for that level of stuttering. The PS5 runs it smoothly from what I've read, so that would be further evidence that DRM and/or the lack of dedicated decompression hardware are responsible for most of the stuttering.

Saw some crazy bad graphical corruption during the ball rolling contest outside using a GTX 1650. That looked like Nvidia's fault; something a driver update can fix.

IIRC it's the same company that ported Arkham Knight, so there's that. :p

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
This port appears to have several major issues. The scuttlebutt is that Denuvo strikes again, causing stuttering. There is also speculation about the CPU being forced to do the asset decompression and streaming as with certain other next gen console ports. I watched someone playing on a 10400f and 3050, and it did seem like the GPU was waiting around on the CPU whenever running around quickly. Watching someone play on a 5800X 3D and 3060ti the stuttering was not nearly as common or as bad. GPU usage was higher too.

That points back to Denuvo being the culprit for that level of stuttering. The PS5 runs it smoothly from what I've read, so that would be further evidence that DRM and/or the lack of dedicated decompression hardware are responsible for most of the stuttering.

Saw some crazy bad graphical corruption during the ball rolling contest outside using a GTX 1650. That looked like Nvidia's fault; something a driver update can fix.

IIRC it's the same company that ported Arkham Knight, so there's that. :p

Yeah, its pretty disappointing. Definitely going to hold off a bit for some patches to come through.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I don't like playing open world type games sitting at my computer desk. I got this game on PS5 and from what I have seen it has been pretty well reviewed. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

Never was a huge Harry Potter fan..I read up to the 4th book when I was in school. But after watching some of the movies I've always enjoyed the lore and world it encapsulates.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I don't like playing open world type games sitting at my computer desk. I got this game on PS5 and from what I have seen it has been pretty well reviewed. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

Never was a huge Harry Potter fan..I read up to the 4th book when I was in school. But after watching some of the movies I've always enjoyed the lore and world it encapsulates.
My wife read all the books and loved all the movies, hence I endured it. Not a single character in a single one of the movies I relate too. The style of magic doesn't appeal to me either. I will still play the game though. My wife might want to spectate. I sit in the recliner with my ROCCAT SOVA and Xbox BT controller and play games on the TV. See you don't need a console for couch gaming. :p Joking of course. I was a console gamer while my kid grew up, so I understand the attraction.

Reactions: WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I'm not a Harry Potter fan at all. never have been, but I am a fantasy fan so i will play this game. I also don't care what JK Rowling thinks or says. She can think anything she wants. Doesn't matter to me.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Thought the game was out since there was activity in this thread. I'm certainly interested in the game but I'll wait another week before checking back in to see how the user reviews are doing.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I hope people are not insinuating that if anyone plays this game they are also transphobic or whatever, that would be dumb.

No, just that the rights holder got paid for the licensing that made this game possible. And that person is trash.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The game is in "Early Access" right now for people that put down an extra $10 for it. The game officially releases with a proper day 1 patch tomorrow I believe.

Even in its early access state word is that it's got something like 500K or more concurrent players on Steam, and that the game itself is quite good and does what it set out to do pretty well (glitches, technical issues, steep requirements notwithstanding).

I figure it will absolutely demolish concurrent player count records on Steam on launch day and over the next week (I think 1.05 million or something players for Cyberpunk was the last record, don't quote me on that).

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Initial reviews of the game did very well but I'm not sure how many of them were specifically for PC. I follow Angry Centaur Gaming (ACG) for several game reviews and he definitely recommends it.

I'm sure the PC version will have some bugs even after the initial patch.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I hope people are not insinuating that if anyone plays this game they are also transphobic or whatever, that would be dumb.

Nope, not insinuating that, but buying this game does support and enrich a crappy person.

Reactions: Leeea

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The game is in "Early Access" right now for people that put down an extra $10 for it. The game officially releases with a proper day 1 patch tomorrow I believe.

Even in its early access state word is that it's got something like 500K or more concurrent players on Steam, and that the game itself is quite good and does what it set out to do pretty well (glitches, technical issues, steep requirements notwithstanding).

I figure it will absolutely demolish concurrent player count records on Steam on launch day and over the next week (I think 1.05 million or something players for Cyberpunk was the last record, don't quote me on that).
Yeah, @uzzi38 tweeted about it -

FoeblY5XgAI9qio

Hopefully the day one patch gets things running smoother.

Reactions: WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
There's another section of the forum for your transphobe discussion. I for one would prefer to discuss the game itself.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
It's funny how many people just believe what they read/hear and don't do their own research.

For the record, I was one of those 500k & the game is quite fun but it'll be a while before I get to finish it as work is geting manic again. Performance is okay @ 1440p on a 3080 10GB, 4K not so much.