Hogwarts Legacy

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I couldn't find any existing thread for this game on this subforum or the console gaming subforum (the game appears to be coming out for Xbox/Playstation/Switch/PC).

The gameplay reveal was shown today and the game looks really good (surprisingly to me).

Long video, but worth the watch in my opinion. The game looks like it could be the Hogwarts game many fans have been waiting over a decade for.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Visually very good looking and it will certainly provide a strong escapist element for hardcore HP fans, but the combat in the game looks very... One dimensional. Basically all the character ever did was stand in one spot and whip out half a dozen spells that spazzed out enemies and KO'ed them.

Naturally the video tried to make it look as flashy as possible, but the best hope I can see for the combat is something like The Force Awakens without the hack n slash elements, which frankly looks a little lean.

It's a little funny how underutilized a huge IP like HP is in terms of solid "life at Hogwarts" games outside of the standard movie tie in stuff.

WB is usually on top of this kind of thing, generally putting out very solid (if a little formulaic, never as bad as Ubisoft) games for their IPs like the Arkham series, the LOTR Shadow Series, hell even Mad Max got a game.

As such I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt, but will as always refrain from any purchasing until the game is 1yr+ old, on heavy discount, patched to the 9's, and bundled with all DLC at 90% off.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
As such I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt
I've gone from skeptical back when the initial trailer was released last year to slightly optimistic/hopeful from the latest gameplay reveal.

Still 9+ months out from it's release, so plenty of time for them to show off more that makes it look less appealing, or maybe they've really got a gem on their hands. Time will tell.

Reactions: SAAA

SAAA

May 14, 2014
If just 1/10 of what they have shown works 1/10 as well as promised it's going to be a blast from day 1. I'm even going to ignore bugs and whatnot at release given the stakes here... honestly I will probably lose hours alone just wandering at scenery and exploring all the nooks and cranny of the school and surroundings.

I'm more sceptical about combat above all else indeed as that's a bit harder to do in game real time than a movie: if enemies started attacking you at every occasion rather than standing there the difficulty would be greater than Dark Souls, on the other hand if they feel like low level goons hopefully there's a way to amp-up their aggressiveness.

They've shown three very different approaches already between stealth, potion/plants/beasts aided and pure magic dueling. If each style has enough room to work all the game replayability would be excellent, on top of the four houses you can choose too.

Reactions: mnewsham

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I admit I would really look forward to playing a PC thats from House Slytherin but who is also not a complete dick.

Someone can be cunning, shrewd, intelligent, and ambitious while also not being an insufferable prick.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Yeah, not being shoved into a house and forced to play Harry is already a big step for a Harry Potter universe game. Setting the world in the late 1800s makes it a lot easier to get away from any known existing characters and major plot pieces to create almost whatever world they want.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
After watching the video, the biggest thing that came to mind for me was how it seemed like this one game was built from two somewhat disparate elements: the Hogwarts life simulator and the Goblin uprising story. Both of those aforementioned elements could be their own game, but they're really here as just two parts of one game. So.. will both parts feel fleshed out enough to not feel like a tacked-on element? In other words, will going to class in the game feel like a fun and rewarding aspect, or just something that you're forced to do between missions. I am a little worried that it could be more of the latter since -- if I remember correctly -- the game appears to also have talent trees. I think it would be interesting if the classes served as the equivalent of talent points. It would make it rather hard to reset your "points", but at least it would feel more applicable.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Apart from the dire voice animation & missing enemy AI it does look alright, not entirely sure I want to go back to school at my age... Did anyone else notice the Goblin chief looks a lot like a Mordor Orc?

ASK THE COMMUNITY