Herman Cain wins FL straw poll

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Is it just me, or are these polls all over the freaking place? Are people taking them drunk, or using a magic 8-ball to pick their favorite candidate? And it's not just this year, every year the early polls bear absolutely no relation to the rest of the campaign.

It's a bit like asking teenage girls who the cutest celebrity is, except the girls have better informed, more mature opinions.

That said, I think the country could do worse than having Herman Cain from the Republican camp. If I had to pick one Republican, it would probably be Huntsman...but Cain isn't terrible either.

Oh, yes he is.

It's so obvious I can only ask if you have followed him much.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Straw polls don't mean shit, especially this one, it cost $175 to participate and isn't a good indicator of who will win the primaries. It's just a beauty contest with the winner the one who can stack the deck better.

Only an idiot would put any weight behind it.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Personally I really can't stand the democrats or the republicans. But......

That being said, at least Obama does try to do the right thing sometimes. I just think the republican party is friggen nuts and yeah the d's are not too far behind. But, I really hoping the "R's" would bring someone out that I liked ... so far I don't like any of them and ron paul can suck my big black cock; choke it down you religious coot. I thought he was kind of an OK guy till I started listening to him being a doctor and all and wanting to actually let someone die that was not insured ...

Long story short, he won't be getting my vote.

Jun 27, 2005
Straw polls don't mean shit, especially this one, it cost $175 to participate and isn't a good indicator of who will win the primaries. It's just a beauty contest with the winner the one who can stack the deck better.

So THAT explains how Ron Paul didn't win it. :awe:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I was curious by this, and decided to look into Cain. I like what I see. I'll be paying a lot more attention to him going forward.

He's got a lot of compatibility with me on the issues. I don't have to worry about his authenticity like I do with Perry. Besides, blacks in this country could use a REAL role model to outshine the failures of Obama.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
I was with Cain until he went off the deep end. His 9/9/9 plan is just insane with no capitol gain taxes. That and his idiotic statement about muslim's in his administration. I loved the idea of a business man who is an outsider to come in and get things fixed. He has turned around companies and understand economics. He got caught up in out doing the other canidates on tax cuts on the rich.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'll bet $500 right here spidey, try to man up on the bet this time.

It's a bet. You pay me 500 if Obama doesn't win 2012 presidential election, I pay you 500 if he does.

Like taking candy from a liberal baby.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i am social liberal and economic conservative. i like Paul and Cain too. We need a radical to bring us back. i would support a Cain/Paul ticket.

though, i don't really think we have much of a chance against the largest political machine ever that Obama has built.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
i am social liberal and economic conservative. i like Paul and Cain too. We need a radical to bring us back. i would support a Cain/Paul ticket.

though, i don't really think we have much of a chance against the largest political machine ever that Obama has built.

Right now Obama is unelectable and has about no chance of winning in 2012. The primaries matter, make sure you vote.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I was with Cain until he went off the deep end. His 9/9/9 plan is just insane with no capitol gain taxes. That and his idiotic statement about muslim's in his administration. I loved the idea of a business man who is an outsider to come in and get things fixed. He has turned around companies and understand economics. He got caught up in out doing the other canidates on tax cuts on the rich.

What companies has he turned around? It's not companies, it's one, Godfather Pizza. That's the one. He then left them to head a lobbying organization.

He worked at Coca Cola and Pillsbury, who then owned Burger King;he didn't 'turn around' those companies.

Now, even if he had, some people are way too fond of 'businessmen' and generals to be President, not understanding those skills do not necessarily make them good presidents. It's a trait that seems common among some weaker people to desire a 'strongman'. A lot of bad can come from it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Right now Obama is unelectable and has about no chance of winning in 2012. The primaries matter, make sure you vote.

Pretty strong statement.

Then you wouldn't mind giving me odds, my $5 bet for your $500? He has no chance.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

You have got to be kidding. Tell me when the side you champion has 'brought us back'?

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004

Of course, the last three times the poll was held ('80, '88, '96) the winner became the nominee.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
I was curious by this, and decided to look into Cain. I like what I see. I'll be paying a lot more attention to him going forward.

He's got a lot of compatibility with me on the issues. I don't have to worry about his authenticity like I do with Perry. Besides, blacks in this country could use a REAL role model to outshine the failures of Obama.

So you want to support bigots and their policies? Real classy