Herman Cain wins FL straw poll

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
This is great news indeed. Can I get a Cain/Perry ticket pretty please? Herman Cain tells it like it is. Hopefully this gives legitimacy to his campaign and folks start paying attention to him. I know, I know, straw polls mean nothing, but the one in FL bears much more credence historically.

Businessman Herman Cain won the Florida straw poll Saturday, beating Texas Gov. Rick Perry, the GOP presidential frontrunner who just two days earlier delivered a debate performance that was widely panned.

Cain finished with 37 percent of the vote, while Perry trailed with 15 percent. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney followed with 14 percent while former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum drew 11 percent. U.S. Rep. Ron Paul finished with 10.5 percent, while former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman finished with 2 percent.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-by-skipping-florida-test-vote/#ixzz1YujwyP98

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Is it just me, or are these polls all over the freaking place? Are people taking them drunk, or using a magic 8-ball to pick their favorite candidate? And it's not just this year, every year the early polls bear absolutely no relation to the rest of the campaign.

That said, I think the country could do worse than having Herman Cain from the Republican camp. If I had to pick one Republican, it would probably be Huntsman...but Cain isn't terrible either.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
I wouldn't mind Cain.

I'd like to see Ron Paul / Cain or Johnson / Cain, or some combination of the three.

Don't really like Perry though sorry...

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Is it just me, or are these polls all over the freaking place? Are people taking them drunk, or using a magic 8-ball to pick their favorite candidate? And it's not just this year, every year the early polls bear absolutely no relation to the rest of the campaign.

I was just thinking the same thing.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Cain and Perry? Why don't you just gift wrap the election and hand it to Obama while you're at it?

Obama could do shots of whiskey before campaign speeches/debates/rallies and still win.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Cain and Perry? Why don't you just gift wrap the election and hand it to Obama while you're at it?

Obama could do shots of whiskey before campaign speeches/debates/rallies and still win.

Care to make a wager on Obama losing 2012 election?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Those Republicans are sure racist.

Believe it or not, I think Obama and his supporters would still claim racism if Cain got the nomination. I just like how he tells it like it is and slams Obama constantly. Cain's had my support ever since I've started paying attention to him at the start of the race.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
I sure don't care for Texas Gov. Rick Perry or Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney so this is good news. Gotta read up on the guy.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Believe it or not, I think Obama and his supporters would still claim racism if Cain got the nomination. I just like how he tells it like it is and slams Obama constantly. Cain's had my support ever since I've started paying attention to him at the start of the race.

LOL, you off your meds again?

Herman "I won't allow Muslims to serve in my admin" Cain? Need I say more about his bigotry?

But I guess that is a good reason why you like him.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
LOL, you off your meds again?

Herman "I won't allow Muslims to serve in my admin" Cain? Need I say more about his bigotry?

But I guess that is a good reason why you like him.

Probably the 25% top tax bracket and 0% capital gains tax rates he is proposing. It's ALWAYS about taxes with spidey....always.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Is it just me, or are these polls all over the freaking place? Are people taking them drunk, or using a magic 8-ball to pick their favorite candidate?

It's Republicans in a Tea Party clown car. What did you expect- rationality?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Their rabid hatred for all other races seems to have been temporarily replaced by their rabid hatred for all Muslims and Herman sure fills that need doesn't he?

*sniff* the GOP grows up so fast.

You know, racism is a really bad thing and that truth is self evident. There is no real reason that Republicans can't grow out of whatever greater amount of racism they might have once had. We are all the same and the soul of every person aspires to the good. Even folk who start from behind can race ahead, pun intended. Republicans are good people with a lot of bad ideas. We live in a world where some folk are a thousand years ahead living besides folk who belong in the stone age, but every child is born fresh and capable of adapting to either.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
You know, racism is a really bad thing and that truth is self evident. There is no real reason that Republicans can't grow out of whatever greater amount of racism they might have once had. We are all the same and the soul of every person aspires to the good. Even folk who start from behind can race ahead, pun intended. Republicans are good people with a lot of bad ideas. We live in a world where some folk are a thousand years ahead living besides folk who belong in the stone age, but every child is born fresh and capable of adapting to either.

:thumbsup:

and as our time moves on there is progress...

/even when some seek to regress...

Last edited:

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Meh, who cares? Unless the Republicans change their platform of the same warmed-over voodoo economics, it won't resonate with independents. I don't like the democrats, but the republicans need some major reorganizing and reexaminating of their party platform in a much bigger way.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Meh, who cares? Unless the Republicans change their platform of the same warmed-over voodoo economics, it won't resonate with independents. I don't like the democrats, but the republicans need some major reorganizing and reexaminating of their party platform in a much bigger way.

Care to make a wager on Obama losing?

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Care to make a wager on Obama losing?

Just how many wagers on Obama losing do you have going on, anyway? :confused:

No, but thanks. Gambling isn't something that I do...not on sports, not on games, and not on politics (or anything else for that matter).

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

After their elecotral defeats in 2006 & 2008, repubs had the opportunity for some self examination, particularly given the disastrous economic consequences of their policy manifest in the Ownership Society. But they didn't- they doubled down, relied on the effects of 30 years of successful propaganda & ineptitude by Dems to win back the HOR in 2010.

Why? Because their polices weren't a disaster for the true Bush constituency, at all, who emerged from the Ownership Society further ahead of the rest of us than when we entered it. Why have they reversed their field wrt deficits? For the same reasons. The people at the top benefit most strongly from easy money on the up side of the business cycle benefit most strongly from hard money on the down side, and Repubs intend to deliver, once again. They'll beat Obama over the head with Jobs!, even as they do their damndest to make sure there aren't any, depend on the same cultivated misperception in the electoral base and dog whistle politics to carry them.