Hawken, holy gpu physx!

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
So Kanter took a shot about x87 vs SSE, and that only gains some performance.
Rewriting the code to make it work nets a 2x to 3x performance increase, but CPU PhysX isn't gimped at all.
Because 2x to 3x is a normal improvement to get when you optimise code.

You do know NVIDIA replaced AGIEA's code right...not their own?
So you are saying AGEIA gimped the code? ^^

BTW are you done using the x87 FUD now, after your foot-in-mouth moment? :)

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I played Hawken for about two hours with PhysX and can get pretty hectic! The debris is really neat as some of it was bouncing off the windshield of the cockpit. It's neat to see the other mechs causing debris and actually effect the debris. One Mech came down from a higher elevation and when it landed in front of me creating debris and used its jet packs and effected the debris - really neat.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Has an AMD Radeon owner tried this title with PhysX on? PhysX on offers the debris particles and seem to run very solidly with the CPU. It is high -- turbulence effects -- that needs the GPU.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Imho,

A nice in-depth article on the PhysX in Hawken and enjoyed the performance comparison with PhysX on utilizing just the CPU and GPU! Even PhysX "on" is a treat with all the debris particles, which may be enjoyed by the CPU or GPU. The turbulence feature is the hefty performance and why this is recommended to be nVidia only!

GPU PhysX in Hawken

http://physxinfo.com/news/10642/gpu-physx-in-hawken/

Nice to see a strong showing for the CPU and possible enjoyment with advanced physics for some!

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
The turbulence feature is the hefty performance and why this is recommended to be nVidia only!
By 'recommended' you mean locked?
Because only nVidia cards are powerful enough to pull those effects.
Stop talking to yourself!
Nice necro

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
By 'recommended' you mean locked?
Because only nVidia cards are powerful enough to pull those effects.
Stop talking to yourself!
Nice necro

Great contribution.
Useless rhetorical question , and your accusing someone of talking to oneself?
Thread is a week old. A link to new review/breakdown on a popular F2P game is offered to the community. Bye.
Thanks Pauly
hawken_physx_benchmark_zps9707bfb9.png

hawken_physx_benchmark.png

Last edited:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Great contribution.
Useless rhetorical question , and your accusing someone of talking to oneself?
Thread is a week old. A link to new review/breakdown on a popular F2P game is offered to the community. Bye.
Thanks Pauly
hawken_physx_benchmark_zps9707bfb9.png

hawken_physx_benchmark.png

That image/bench is nice to see based on many owners can enjoy some advanced effects like debris particles on the CPU, which really adds a ton of fun to the title if one chooses to use the feature.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
That image/bench is nice to see based on many owners can enjoy some advanced effects like debris particles on the CPU, which really adds a ton of fun to the title if one chooses to use the feature.

In comments section amongst the trolling the author tries to address questions. The OP, in this thread might find this comment useful.

Are you using a dedicated PhysX card, btw? If Hawken is supporting CUDA-interop, effects actually may run faster on a single GPU. Give it a try.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
my 2 cents:

before they start adding crap like this they should get the real physics right first.

Example:

Hand grenades in BC2. Terrible. Full of glitches. Sometimes Bounce of objects in retarded ways.

Plimogz

Oct 3, 2009
notty22 said:
Are you using a dedicated PhysX card, btw? If Hawken is supporting CUDA-interop, effects actually may run faster on a single GPU. Give it a try.
In comments section amongst the trolling the author tries to address questions. The OP, in this thread might find this comment useful.

OP actually already tried this, on page 1, post #15:

Just tried Physx only on the Titan, it might be a bit better than having the 650ti run it, still lowers fps by about half at times.

Last edited:

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
my 2 cents:

before they start adding crap like this they should get the real physics right first.

Example:

Hand grenades in BC2. Terrible. Full of glitches. Sometimes Bounce of objects in retarded ways.

Bad example, your referencing some other game by another developer. What's your point?

Feb 4, 2009
If I replace my War Horse GTX260 this spring can I still use it with a Radeon card or will that lead to driver driver nightmares? Also could I "down clock" the 260 to reduce heat, power and noise?

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I never heard of this game. That said, it looks really cool. I will have to download it tonight. PhysX looks pretty cool based on the screenshots. I may have to dig out my 480 GTX... Which reminds me, is nVidia purposely locking out AMD still? Do I have to hack the drivers to get my 480 GTX to handle physx?

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
If that was a competitive shooter I'd turn that crap off in a second. Looks cool, but it has a place, and that's called single player.

Indeed and many of the comments on youtube say that the effects get in the way.
It was the same for me and friends in BL2.

Last edited:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I did turn off Physx in Hawken to see how the experience was - it was an empty feeling and turned it back on.

I suppose if one is a gamer that turns down settings to receive a competitive advantage -- features that improve experiences may not be that important to this mind-set anyway.

It seems, PLanetSide2, Hawken and now Warframe, gamers have the choice to enable or disable PhysX.