Have you been personally affected by racism recently??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: shimsham
hmmm....its not like shes burning the cross in her yard man. just remember shes is from a different time, and its hard for older folks to change their ways. im sure she sees the gangbangers, rappers, etc. and thinks that is how all people of color act. i mean, shes old and dont get out enough to see the other side of the coin. im not defending her, just playing devils advocate here.

be the one to prove her old views wrong by treating her with respect, and showing her through your attitude and actions that you are just like anyone else, regardless of skin color. she may just need something to b!itch about so someone will give her some attention?

I've been nothing but kind to the woman. I'm always respectful of "elders" :)

good. youll be the one to "bring her around". just make sure to get pics, please.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
hmmm....its not like shes burning the cross in her yard man. just remember shes is from a different time, and its hard for older folks to change their ways. im sure she sees the gangbangers, rappers, etc. and thinks that is how all people of color act. i mean, shes old and dont get out enough to see the other side of the coin. im not defending her, just playing devils advocate here.

be the one to prove her old views wrong by treating her with respect, and showing her through your attitude and actions that you are just like anyone else, regardless of skin color. she may just need something to b!itch about so someone will give her some attention?

good. youll be the one to "bring her around". just make sure to get pics, please.

I've been tempted to put on some thugged out jeans hanging off my ass and a ski cap and run over to her grandmother's house, ring the doorbell, then plant a big kiss on her lips and get Elizabeth to take a picture so I can send it to all of her "friends" :)

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
My life has been personally affected by racism in that I have to monitor my brother in law's language around my children. I do not find it appropriate for him to make racist remarks in front of them. I also refuse to attend family reunions and parties on my mother-in-law's side of the family due to several mouthy racists who can't seem to get through dinner without making inappropriate remarks. My MIL dismisses our concerns saying that they are "joking and don't really mean it". BS..."it's not funny." Then she tries to make us feel bad for skipping the event. ugh.

i have a "friend" like that. he thinks im being ridiculous by asking him not to say the N word around my children, in my own house. so i just had to say STFU or GTFO.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Amused
I went to a Japanese Tatoo Parlor and told the Japanese Tatoo Artist to put "King Kong" on my arm in Japanese. The Racist bastard instead put "Dick Head" in Japanese. I never knew he did that until I went to a Sushi bar a few months later and all the Sushi Chefs were laughing at me!! Well at least I got a bunch of free Sake out of it!

Now that was one perceptive tattoo artist.

:p

:Q

:D

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002

I've been tempted to put on some thugged out jeans hanging off my ass and a ski cap and run over to her grandmother's house, ring the doorbell, then plant a big kiss on her lips and get Elizabeth to take a picture so I can send it to all of her "friends" :)

careful now. remember the old ticker!

JonnyBlaze

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
just be glad its her grandmother and not her parents. youd have to deal with it for a lot longer.

just remember not to take it personally.

im white and my girls parents dont like me just cause where im from (the projects).

JB

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Heh, I went down on the far South Side to play basketball with one of my buddies. When we got down there, I found myself the only white person. It was especially evident when my friend told me not to look at a certain group of people because they were Latin Kings...

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
My life has been personally affected by racism in that I have to monitor my brother in law's language around my children. I do not find it appropriate for him to make racist remarks in front of them. I also refuse to attend family reunions and parties on my mother-in-law's side of the family due to several mouthy racists who can't seem to get through dinner without making inappropriate remarks. My MIL dismisses our concerns saying that they are "joking and don't really mean it". BS..."it's not funny." Then she tries to make us feel bad for skipping the event. ugh.

i have a "friend" like that. he thinks im being ridiculous by asking him not to say the N word around my children, in my own house. so i just had to say STFU or GTFO.

The saddest part of the whole thing is that one of the mouthiest assholes is my MIL's brother, who just happens to be a minister in some fundy church. Great, a man that people are going to for moral advice is such a snake that I refuse to allow my children in the same room with him. :|

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Living in Vancouver, Canada where there are large groups of "minorities" there can be a lot of racial tension. Many of my close friends are white, but I'm Chinese. They make a lot of racist comments about Chinese people even when I'm standing right beside them.

Listening to talk radio this morning on the way to work, they were discussing how minority groups (e.g. Vietnamese, Indo Canadian etc.) get labeled as their culture. Like if an Indo Canadian beats up a white guy, the media specifically states Indo Canadian. Where as if it was a white guy beating up an Indo Canadian, it just says a "man" beat up another person.

The talk radio host said well that's obvious that the person is white if it's not stated. Personally, I was quite disgusted at the way he said it.

Racial profiling I think is getting out of hand nowadays.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
People think I am Hispanic when they see my name. Then they get all confused when they see me and ask if I am Italian. Then I tell them I am not Italian and they get more confused. So I probably have had some discrimination where people see my name and not my face.

When I was little I was in a waiting room at a hospital while my mom was having some tests done. The room was full of these two black families who were trashing the place, food all over and magazines thrown about. They left and a while later a black cleaning lady looked in the room at the mess and said real loud, "Cracker" and then left.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
I was denied a job so a less qualified minority could meet the quota. Screw you affirmative action! :|:|:|

CT2TXtech

Banned
Apr 28, 2003
So NFS4, what do you think about the things that are being said about Martin Luther King. Sex fiend, hypocrite, communist, plagarist(sp) etc.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CT2TXtech
So NFS4, what do you think about the things that are being said about Martin Luther King. Sex fiend, hypocrite, communist, plagarist(sp) etc.

I've always heard that he was a womanizer which I don't respect at all...I've even heard many black leaders acknowledge that fact. But I don't think that takes away from his accomplishments for civil rights.

As for the other stuff you mentinoned...I don't know enough about it to make a comment.

When I walk down the street, sometimes black people say, "Hey, look at whitey." Or, "Get a load of whitey." Or, "Hey there, whitey, where do you thing you are going?"

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I'm so white that I'm damn near transparent.

Not sure if it's true racism, but I was denied social services way back when I was poor and needed help.

CT2TXtech

Banned
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: dwell
When I walk down the street, sometimes black people say, "Hey, look at whitey." Or, "Get a load of whitey." Or, "Hey there, whitey, where do you thing you are going?"

Where is that at? You mite catch a glare if you are in the projects in the middle of the nite, if you dont look like you belong. But i never heard of a black call a white person, "whitey". Where are you from?

Where is that at? You mite catch a glare if you are in the projects in the middle of the nite, if you dont look like you belong. But i never heard of a black call a white person, "whitey". Where are you from?
The island of Manhattan, NYC.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
Yes. For the past five years I have had a tough time getting scholarships because I am a middle class white boy.

I'll also add to that, to say that IMO where I live (just northeast of atlanta, ga) I am discriminated by more than blacks due to that I am white.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
You sure they weren't saying "Hey look at that Dumb Ass" because that's the usual reaction here to one of your posts!

CT2TXtech

Banned
Apr 28, 2003

I've always heard that he was a womanizer which I don't respect at all...I've even heard many black leaders acknowledge that fact. But I don't think that takes away from his accomplishments for civil rights.

As for the other stuff you mentinoned...I don't know enough about it to make a comment.

O ok, well i was replying to you in my last thread until the mods.......Thats the reason for all the racial threads today. I came across a site that was bashing MLK, calling him all those above things, and giving what appeared to be valid points. A few seemed to be direct quotes from a best friend of his who published an autobiography. But you are right, it doesnt take away from his accomplishments for civil rights.
O well....

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Me: Brown-skinned half-Saudi half-Iranian, born Canadian.

Nothing blatant, ever. Not to sound racist myself, but a couple of times I've been treated like dirt by middle-aged white women in Canada for absolutely no reason and a tiny voice in my head tells me it wouldn't have been so if I had been a different skin colour. Nothing to stay awake at night about though.

CT2TXtech

Banned
Apr 28, 2003

The island of Manhattan, NYC.

really?..... interesting. well if i passed you, id never say that to you, even if it were in the mean streets of hartford
:beer:

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I've been affected by reverse racism, or what is commonly called Affirmative Action.

CT2TXtech

Banned
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: yllus
Me: Brown-skinned half-Saudi half-Iranian, born Canadian.

Nothing blatant, ever. Not to sound racist myself, but a couple of times I've been treated like dirt by middle-aged white women in Canada for absolutely no reason and a tiny voice in my head tells me it wouldn't have been so if I had been a different skin colour. Nothing to stay awake at night about though.

Ive thought that too as a minority. Would they talk to me like that if i was a white dude? But it never really bothered me, i kind of just chuckled and kept doing what i was doing. Im not overly sensitive with sh1t like that. Just dont blatantly disrespect me. If so, then i will let them know, i wont neccessarily bring the race card into it. I will when i get home to wiffee

:beer::D

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
I went to a Japanese Tatoo Parlor and told the Japanese Tatoo Artist to put "King Kong" on my arm in Japanese. The Racist bastard instead put "Dick Head" in Japanese. I never knew he did that until I went to a Sushi bar a few months later and all the Sushi Chefs were laughing at me!! Well at least I got a bunch of free Sake out of it!

LMAO!