has anyone use nVidia 10 series graphic card to play Netflix 4K content on PC?

xun

Nov 2, 2016
It seems many reports indicate you can only use Intel Kaby Lake CPU (7th gen) to play Netflix 4K DRM content in Windows 10 Desktop PC (Microsoft Edge only) and left nVidia and AMD out of gate. Although nVidia supports HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and Microsoft PlayReady 3.0 (At least they say they do), but if content providers do not support nVidia, all of the new 10 series owner would be left in the dark. Has anyone played Netflix 4k over nVidia GPU without Kaby Lake CPU?

Next year, Cyberlink PowerDVD 17 probably would support 4K UHD blu-ray playback on Intel Kaby Lake since the DRM requirement is finally ready. But if they follow Netflix’s approach left nVidia out, then nVidia Pascal would be just a gaming GPU.

There aren’t much TRUE 4k movies on the market but more will come in the years ahead. True 4K movie is: shot in 4K camera, edit in 4k, save in 4k digital intermediate and burn to 4k uhd bluray. Any of the process in the streamline is not done by 4k or better, and then it’s not a True 4k movie. I have played starwar 7 uhd bluray (true 4k movie) on a 4k tv side-by-side with the bluray version on 1080p tv. Besides smaller pixels, it does provide better detail and color spectrum.

Pascal GPU is great gaming gear for the time being. But if it won’t support 4K DRM, it would be major disappointment for me.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Star Wars 7 (Force Awakens, I assume) is not on UHD Blu-ray, so I'm not sure what you saw.

Every old movie shot on film (16mm, 35mm, 70mm) can be scanned and mastered at 4K and higher, although 35mm and 70mm would benefit most. Wizard of Oz was scanned at 8K several years ago for the 70th anniversary regular Blu-ray. Some of the best UHD Blu-ray movies available right now were shot decades ago on film and scanned and mastered in 4K (Revenant, Crouching Tiger, Labyrinth, etc.).

Pascal and Polaris support the necessary hardware for UHD playback from just about any source, but it all comes down to licensing and software for (legal) playback. Even the Maxwell-equipped, Android-based NVIDIA Shield TV plays back Netflix 4K. You'll just have to wait, but if it's important to you, then you should hold off buying a new GPU until it's all figured out.

nathanddrews

Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
No matter what hardware you have, Netflix still must approve (whitelist) it for use. You can be 100% compliant with the bandwidth, processing, copy protection, etc. and still not be able to do it without Netflix allowing it.

Approved devices for 4K with HDR (HDR10 or Dolby Vision):
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/42384

Like you said, the only "purely PC" playback of 4K content requires a Kaby Lake CPU, 4K display/desktop, and the Edge browser. Hopefully this will change. Likewise, only CyberLink has announced future playback of UHD Blu-ray on PC so far.

Unless you work for Disney/Lucasfilm, the 4K version of Force Awakens that you saw was just an upscale (there are many upscaled movies online). The digital intermediate (DI) was done at 4K, but no public release of it has been made available. Disney are still working on how best to manage its HDR release. I have looked for - but not found - less-than-reputable versions.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
This brings up a question I've been wondering for a while. I currently have a GTX 650 Ti Boost (try saying that 3x quick, lol) in my HTPC box in living room. I have been thinking about upgrading to (probably) a GTX 1050 Ti. Other than the obvious increase in gaming potential, would I see any improvements in terms of native video viewing, etc?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I have a year old Dell xps with a Skylake core i7 , a gtx960, and a 4k display.
I meet all the requirements to play 4k Netflix. I tried to play 4k content and used a netfix application to monitor my resolution and bitrate. It didn't work.
I call Netflix , they told me it should be working, I meet all the requirements, high speed internet connection, HDCP 2.2, Microsoft Edge, Windows 10, HDMI 2.0 and a gtx960 is playready 3.0.
I told them of the Kaby Lake cpu requirement, they said "they never heard of that".
I bought a high end $3000 Dell laptop last year with a 4k display and been paying for a UHD Netflix account for basically nothing.

This is total BS , people should be told of this rip off.

Last edited:

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
I meet all the requirements to play 4k Netflix. I tried to play 4k content and used a netfix application to monitor my resolution and bitrate. It didn't work.
I call Netflix , they told me it should be working, I meet all the requirements, high speed internet connection, HDCP 2.2, Microsoft Edge, Windows 10, HDMI 2.0 and a gtx960 is playready 3.0.

Netflix is available in Ultra HD on Windows computers. To stream in Ultra HD, you will need:

• The Microsoft Edge browser or the Windows 10 app
  • A 4K capable display (with HDCP 2.2 connection if external display), Intel's 7th generation Core CPU, and the latest Windows updates
  • A plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD. You can check which plan you're currently on at netflix.com/ChangePlan.
  • A steady Internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or higher.
  • Streaming quality set to High or Automatic. More information about video quality settings can be found in our Playback Settings article.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/55763

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
well that was not there when we (me and Netflix) looked. Customer service played stupid with me.

I still think its BS that my laptop won't play 4k. I'm going to call Dell and try to get a free upgrade to Kaby Lake.

nathanddrews

Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
You can't really expect to get a free upgrade one year later for a service provided by someone else that didn't exist at the time... or are you being sarcastic?

The entertainment industry is doing everything it can to avoid high quality content streaming on PC, cuz y'know, teh piratz.

Reactions: crisium and Bacon1

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
well that was not there when we (me and Netflix) looked. Customer service played stupid with me.

I still think its BS that my laptop won't play 4k. I'm going to call Dell and try to get a free upgrade to Kaby Lake.
Your beef is with Netflix and (probably) its content creators, not with Dell.

Reactions: crisium and Bacon1

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016

That has been there for a long time now, probably since that document was created.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...ing-pc-kaby-lake-cpu-windows-10-edge-browser/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl...tflix-in-4k-youll-need-a-new-pc/#7a5160d18401

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/239860-4k-netflix-finally-coming-pcs-still-probably-cant-watch

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/netflix-kaby-lake-cpu-4k,33070.html

etc etc, every article talks about needing Kaby Lake for 4k and that was before it had launched.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Your beef is with Netflix and (probably) its content creators, not with Dell.

Mabe if people like me complained ,Dell and other companies will put some pressure on Netflix. ANd if I buy one of the absolute best laptop Dell sells ,I expect that my 4k display to be put to good use. I would bet Dell knew this would happen.

ANd I'm not done calling Netflix either,they also will get another earfull.

Last edited:

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Can you trick netflix with gpu scaling?

I remember being able to set scaling to gpu on an nvidia card, then create a custom resolution that is much higher (4K should work, the internet will know which numbers to put in what box). This was way before nvidia started marketing dsr, although the end result should be the same.

edit: nvm if the problem is you need intel kaby lake :(

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
These are draconian measures to take for content protection. Historically DRM really only inconveniences law abiding citizens while the pirate's get what they want anyway. I suspect this will backfire and just expedite hackers to crack this DRM sooner rather than later.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/pioneer-announces-ultra-hd-bluray-supporting-bdrs11j-drives

Hopefully AACS 2.0 will be cracked soon and everyone can skip the idiocy of Netflix not enabling 4K streaming on Pascal GPUs which fully support HEVC Main10/Main12 hardware decoding, HDCP 2.2 & Playready 3.0 DRM and have high quality 4K content ripped from UHD Blu-Ray discs.

I agree, im usually anti-pirating but in this specific case its just unreal the hoops the expect people to jump through, i mean they are basically forcing everyone to buy new intel CPU's. Screw them!

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/pioneer-announces-ultra-hd-bluray-supporting-bdrs11j-drives

Hopefully AACS 2.0 will be cracked soon and everyone can skip the idiocy of Netflix not enabling 4K streaming on Pascal GPUs which fully support HEVC Main10/Main12 hardware decoding, HDCP 2.2 & Playready 3.0 DRM and have high quality 4K content ripped from UHD Blu-Ray discs.

wow, what a bag of crap this is:

Apart from the ODD, the GPU (and its driver), the display, and the playback software, AACS 2.0 support seems to be a major concern. Its implementation on the PC is different from other consumer electronics, according to CyberLink. In a bid not to let AACS 2.0 encryption keys leak (as it happened in the past to the original AACS), AACS LA demands to handle their decryption in a secure hardware environment. To create secured private regions of memory that cannot be accessed by third-party applications (to prevent access to AACS2 keys), software developers have to use Intel’s Software Guard Extensions (SGX) instructions, whereas end users have to use platforms featuring the technology. Intel’s SGX has to be supported by the CPU, the OS and the application, but one of the problems is that not all modern processors support it. Intel first incorporated SGX into its Skylake CPUs in 2015, but not all of such chips support the tech: for example, some of the early higher-end processors have it disabled. Moreover, SGX has to be supported by motherboard’s BIOS and at present Pioneer recommends Intel 200-series based platforms (note that this does not mean that every Intel 200-series mainboard supports SGX). It is also important to note that not every Intel 200-series motherboard/system supports HDCP 2.2, which is required if the integrated is used. In fact, in the latter case Pioneer says that Intel’s HD Graphics 630 or more advanced is required, which eliminates low-power CPUs.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
wow, what a bag of crap this is:

The keys will get leaked. Given it's a hardware based solution it'll be the same key used so it'll only take someone to grab it once and then it's game over. I bet by next year's CCC event this will be cracked. These DRM idiots never learn. One flawed implementation and the keys will be compromised.

happyguy82

Feb 24, 2017
I agree, im usually anti-pirating but in this specific case its just unreal the hoops the expect people to jump through, i mean they are basically forcing everyone to buy new intel CPU's. Screw them!

4K UHD Blu-Ray playback requires Intel SGX. This doesn't mean that NVIDIA can't modify their GPUs to support the SGX secure environment. They may do this in the future, possibly via a BIOS update.

The other requirement is special Blu-Ray drives to read the discs. There are only 2 or 3 models in the world at can do this at the moment. My drive is able to view the folder structure and files but not read them due to the lack of AACS 2 support.

happyguy82

Feb 24, 2017
The keys will get leaked. Given it's a hardware based solution it'll be the same key used so it'll only take someone to grab it once and then it's game over. I bet by next year's CCC event this will be cracked. These DRM idiots never learn. One flawed implementation and the keys will be compromised.

Even if the keys are leaked, the Blu-Ray drives that can read the discs are very expensive for now. There's no way around this problem as it's built into the drive's firmware.