Hardware to start mining

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Things are going to get better here shortly. With nvidia releasing volta gpu's soon and with the market falling, less and less people will be interested in mining.

Don't look now, the market is recovering! Whales and their games. ETH is back to $1070 or so, and Bitcoin is closing in on $12k.

I still don't expect any kind of serious drop in miner card demand until ETH goes full PoS. Once that happens, there will be a lot of stray hashpower shopping for new places to mine, and it'll get crowded.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
ETH is back to $1070 or so, and Bitcoin is closing in on $12k.
I sold some BTC. I guess I'm not as courageous to "HODL". Plus, I've got real-world expenses, that I did forgo to pay for my GTX 1070 ti, so I'm just spending the ROI already.

Maybe I'll kick myself in five years (or less), when BTC is up to $100K. But until then, I don't mind. These aren't huge amounts.

Reactions: tvfreak

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
I used ETH and BTC to buy alt coins. Hoping those coins will shoot up. So than I can build my BTC and ETH. Cause mining them is a waste since I don't have a farm

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I sold some BTC. I guess I'm not as courageous to "HODL". Plus, I've got real-world expenses, that I did forgo to pay for my GTX 1070 ti, so I'm just spending the ROI already.

Maybe I'll kick myself in five years (or less), when BTC is up to $100K. But until then, I don't mind. These aren't huge amounts.
I'd be very surprised if it hit $100K. The time to worry would be when things are priced in bitcoin - stuff like bread and milk. BTC is way to volatile, I prefer $1 being worth close to a dollar when I spend it.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
I'd be very surprised if it hit $100K. The time to worry would be when things are priced in bitcoin - stuff like bread and milk. BTC is way to volatile, I prefer $1 being worth close to a dollar when I spend it.
Well... I suspect the USD $1 is undervalued

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
While that Hot Hardware article does contain a screen-shot from Newegg selling six GTX1080(ti?) cards for $6700, nearly double MSRP, it's not from Newegg itself, it's a third-party marketplace seller.

That said, Newegg HAS BEGUN 1st-party price gouging as well.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
While that Hot Hardware article does contain a screen-shot from Newegg selling six GTX1080(ti?) cards for $6700, nearly double MSRP, it's not from Newegg itself, it's a third-party marketplace seller.

That said, Newegg HAS BEGUN 1st-party price gouging as well.
Regardless, I hate it when retailers price gouge

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

It'll need a radical change in the world before things like Bitcoin can replace fiat. And it'll need physical equivalents so people without computers can use them.

Bitcoin, no matter what people say, is a store of value, not a currency, despite its naming and supposed intentions. Every crypto is the same way, its just that Bitcoin advertises itself as "currency".

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
Will BTC and alike catch on to the main stream public?
I don't think bankers will allow that. They want a piece of it and so does the irs

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
TBH I am indeed surprised the government is letting it go... but probably because they're in it themselves. In fact they could in theory be in full control of it, they have more than enough computing power to outmine everybody even China. If you can single handedly mine 51% you technically control the entire blockchain. At least that's my understanding of it.

You also need to be somewhat of a techie to even use cryptocurrency so I don't see it going mainstream any time soon, at least not without relying on centralized services that may simply use it in the back end.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Will BTC and alike catch on to the main stream public?
I don't think bankers will allow that. They want a piece of it and so does the irs

Banks are investing in a few projects like Ethereum. I think the general idea is that Bitcoin is seen as something that will strangle itself in the long run.

Unless LN really takes off, they're probably right. For now it's a speculator's paradise and not much else.

TBH I am indeed surprised the government is letting it go... but probably because they're in it themselves. In fact they could in theory be in full control of it, they have more than enough computing power to outmine everybody even China. If you can single handedly mine 51% you technically control the entire blockchain. At least that's my understanding of it.

You also need to be somewhat of a techie to even use cryptocurrency so I don't see it going mainstream any time soon, at least not without relying on centralized services that may simply use it in the back end.

China is the only government that could have controlled BTC, and instead they are purging the miners slowly but surely from their country. It looks like they are more interested in preventing currency outflow than they are in taking over Bitcoin.

Projects like NEO and NEM may well be government-controlled, at least to the same extent that anything else "private sector" over there really isn't.

And of course you have the S. Korea debacle, but that was more a few rogue politicians gaming the crypto market through the power of office than controlling crypto in any official capacity.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
Too much govt interaction.

Eh they can say they are banning it, but they can't really ban it. All they can simply do is make it so you can't buy physical items with it. For example you can't go to the store and buy a gallon of milk with it, but that isn't going to stop people from being able to use it online for whatever they want. It's still useful in those currencies, but it scares people when they hear this and makes the prices drop drastically. But, so far, they have always recovered. Hopefully BTC will continue to rise up as it has in the last few days, I would like to see it back up around the 15k range next month.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Honestly, you would probably be better off buying GPU’s when they pop up at retail and resell them on eBay. In a gold rush, the guys who sell the picks and shovels usually do better than miners do.

Why make $2 a day mining Ethereum with a GeForce 1070, when you can resell the card in a week and probably make $200?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've kinda toyed with doing that myself. There's a local computer store here at the mall downtown - honestly not sure how they are still around, that mall as a whole has been dying for years. But good on them. May go see them to see if they can special order GPUs at normal retail prices. Though if I can get them I may as well mine with them. Mining is still going to be more profitable long term.... as long as crypto keeps strong. There is definitly a risk factor to it, while reselling GPUs is instant cash.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I don't know... if you take your profits from buying your reselling your 1070 and then buy more 1070's with them, I think that card flipping might make cash more quickly for as long as the GPU shortage lasts.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Card flipping will last until it doesn't.

Reminds me of what I did back in FFXI when it was new to NA players. Everyone wanted magic scrolls that could only be bought in one particular town, and the town selling them rotated. People charged inflated prices for the scrolls in towns that didn't have access to the scrolls. So I made 2 extra accounts at a cost of $2/month to trade between cities, buy low in the selling city, and sell high in the other two. It was a zero-effort proposition to "flip" the scrolls for profit. Once people caught on to my scheme, they started doing it themselves, and because it was a zero-effort deal, there was nothing that could separate one flipper from the other other than what price we were willing to accept.

We wound up selling for less than 1% profit, so I dropped out. The gig was up. All the supply issues were artificial anyway. Demand was fairly constant, but it dropped off as the game population matured.

I would be hesitant to flip cards, since it relies on extreme shortages to keep demand up. Being a flipped card supplier is almost zero-effort, meaning there's nothing you can do as an individual to add to the value proposition of the buyer, so you are potentially in competition with anyone else who catches on to what you are doing.

With mining you are banking that the crypto world won't collapse completely, and that you can get power at low enough cost that you won't have to be the first to drop out of the mining pool(s) when crypto prices go South. I've found that miners work against a non-consensual equilibrium point that is a natural extension of the time, effort, and power costs associated with mining; for example, ETH almost never yields a gross of less than ~$1.20 per month per MH/s. If your power costs allow you to mine at that level, you can mine through any dip, since a lot of hashrate will drop out of the pools as a reaction to lowered prices. More hashrate will come online when prices rise, slowly eroding the short-term gain in mining profits you get when ETH jumps from, say $300 to $1300 or whatever. I've seen it happen over and over, and I suspect that similar equilibria exist with the other cryptos as well.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
The selling shovels during the gold rush analogy always comes up, but it's an apt one. But as with anything seasonal or cyclical you have to be prepared for the dry spells.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
I'm sure people know this. Get in while u can. And if ur able to make ROI and then some than ur doing OK.
I think I want to go into cloud mining

Reactions: Crono

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Given how hard it is to get GPUs thought I'd take the time to make a custom rackmount case.

Primer is on, tomorrow I'll do the paint. Going to be black, because black makes computers faster!

Mobo and PSUs in the back and cards in the front. Will hold 6 cards. Though I might see if it's feasible to squeeze 8. You can actually get PCI-e expanders so even if the motherboard only has 6 slots you can get more. I'm not sure how reliable that is or if it's something the motherboard has to support though.

I have a second GTX 1070 TI ready to be put in service too, but what I'll do is when I build out this system I'll put that one in service while the other one keeps mining. Once I see it's stable with the riser I'll then move the other card.

Reactions: Crono and tvfreak

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Way overpriced, but still interesting:

https://miningcave.com/product/8-gpu-box-gtx1060-6gb-coming-soon/
RIG-GPU-03.jpg

https://octominer.com/
20180115_000746_MOD_0000_20180115_001447-copy.jpg