Hardware to start mining

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Stop gaming and use that card to mine.

Oh the card that goes in there is not actually good enough to mine. Not enough ram. I swapped it with this card so I can start mining but it's a temp setup until I get the dedicated rig up. I'm working then will be off Friday so hoping to set it up and get it up and ready by then. Waiting for a few accessories in the mail such as plastic motherboard standoffs but I should get it by then.

This is the case:

Motherboard and PSUs in the back and cards in the front.

Reactions: Crono and tvfreak

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yay I just made myself $26.66. :D

I decided to cash in a bit of ethereum and for fun I set the sell price to $1340 per eth and it actually hit that for a very brief moment and my order went through. It's at 1320 now. Was going down and went as low as 1299 for a bit.

Really I wonder how hard it would be to automate trading, could make money just trading ether back and forth.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
Yay I just made myself $26.66. :D

I decided to cash in a bit of ethereum and for fun I set the sell price to $1340 per eth and it actually hit that for a very brief moment and my order went through. It's at 1320 now. Was going down and went as low as 1299 for a bit.

Really I wonder how hard it would be to automate trading, could make money just trading ether back and forth.
U mean using a bot?

Erickem

Feb 2, 2018
I'm mining on a pair of 270X 2GB cards, they show $4.00+ USD/day for the pair. My 260X 2GB cards, show $3.50-ish USD/day. Half of that is probably the electricity consumption cost a day.

_________
Sent from my cách làm kem tươi tại nhà using Nokia 1202

Last edited:

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
I'm mining on a pair of 270X 2GB cards, they show $4.00+ USD/day for the pair. My 260X 2GB cards, show $3.50-ish USD/day. Half of that is probably the electricity consumption cost a day.
What r u mining ?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
So, I have an old s939 board with a dualcore 3800+ in it, with 2GB DDR RAM. It has 3 PCIE slots, was pretty high end at the time I think. Would this be capable of running at least 1 card? Or would the 2GB RAM not be enough? Most likely would be equihash mining with a Fury and possibly one or 2 290s.

If this is viable, where would be a good place to buy a milkcrate to put the system in? The case it is in now is too small to even fit a video card in :C

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Is it even worth to mine with a small setup like 2x 1080ti?

For now I'd say yes if you can manage to get your hands on those cards for under $1,000/card. I have not found any for lower than $1,000 though. Too expensive to make it worth it. Once the ASICs come out then it might be a different ball game. Oddly enough it's almost the same price to buy a full gaming laptop with that card built in now days. I wonder how viable it is to mine on a laptop, think it would overheat in short order though.

chrx144

Feb 19, 2018
I really do not recommend mining but if you really need to, it is essential to have a gaming motherboard from MSI, Gigabyte or Asus.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I really do not recommend mining but if you really need to, it is essential to have a gaming motherboard from MSI, Gigabyte or Asus.

What . . .? I mine on old AM2+ boards. Someone might have considered them to be gaming boards 10+ years ago. The hotness right now for people buying new are those wacky ASRock mining boards with oodles of PCIe 1x slots.

"Gaming" boards are often poorly-optimized for mining rigs.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The biggest problem now is getting hardware. Had I known it would be that hard I would not have gotten into it myself. I have 2 cards mining but I really wanted to get at least 6 so I can do a full rig. Now they're just too hard to find and when you do they cost way too much. What I'd like to see is an ASIC maker like Bitmain get into making GPUs. They have the facilities for it, and they would sell a lot since they would be the only source right now.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'll bet those drivers would be great.

Yeah to do it right, it would need to be open source. Worry about the hardware, let the open source community do the drivers right. Most of the time the issues caused by a piece of hardware is because of the drivers, since companies skimp on that, and also refuse to make it open source.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
I have GPU on order since Jan 1 2018. Still waiting.
These companies need to go overtime and go on 24/7

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah to do it right, it would need to be open source. Worry about the hardware, let the open source community do the drivers right. Most of the time the issues caused by a piece of hardware is because of the drivers, since companies skimp on that, and also refuse to make it open source.

I think one of the reasons why open source drivers lag on GPU hardware is that manufacturers know that some of their trade secrets would inevitably be exposed were they to provide the necessary tech specs to write proper drivers to an open source driver initiative. At least that always seemed to be the case with Nvidia.