Hardware to start mining

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Most anything ASIC-resistant likes lots of fast memory. ETH merely has the distinction of having the DAG which limits which cards can be used to mine it. You can mine ZEC or XMR with a 2GB 270, but it's kind of a waste.

Reactions: tvfreak

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
Most anything ASIC-resistant likes lots of fast memory. ETH merely has the distinction of having the DAG which limits which cards can be used to mine it. You can mine ZEC or XMR with a 2GB 270, but it's kind of a waste.
I figured those coins would be harder to mine

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
After reading this thread, I decided to try my hand at mining with my gtx 1080ti gaming rig. I went with NiceHashMiner and just let it run when I'm not using the computer. After one week, it has earned about $40.00, which I transferred to my coinbase account. It's not a lot of money, but it is about $160/month. Since I have solar, the electric costs are negligible. Pretty informative posts. Thanks everyone.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
After reading this thread, I decided to try my hand at mining with my gtx 1080ti gaming rig. I went with NiceHashMiner and just let it run when I'm not using the computer. After one week, it has earned about $40.00, which I transferred to my coinbase account. It's not a lot of money, but it is about $160/month. Since I have solar, the electric costs are negligible. Pretty informative posts. Thanks everyone.
Just 1 GPU?

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
Yes, just one Asus ROG GTX 1080-ti w/ 11GB. I can still use the computer with nicehash running in the background, but everything runs pretty slow. Card temps stay at 60 - 61c.
Im waiting my some GPU's but it seems a lot are back ordered which sucks.
I want to mine with my old card. Just to try it out

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
Im waiting my some GPU's but it seems a lot are back ordered which sucks.
I want to mine with my old card. Just to try it out
It doesn't hurt to try. I don't know why there is such a shortage on these cards. I bought mine in November for $750, which at the time I thought was over priced. I'm seeing them now for over $1300. What the heck?

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
It doesn't hurt to try. I don't know why there is such a shortage on these cards. I bought mine in November for $750, which at the time I thought was over priced. I'm seeing them now for over $1300. What the heck?
Cause so many people are starting to mine. And all these GPU's are over priced unfortunately

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
For anyone that has older cards they don't really want to mine with or can't, now is a good time to try to sell them on ebay. Gamers will buy them because they can't even get any cards right now at all.

Once my case fans come in I will start mining with my 1070 and depending how well it looks like it's going I might try to source another, but I'm looking at close to a grand at this point. Probably not worth it. I think we all came in way too late in the game.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm mining on a pair of 270X 2GB cards, they show $4.00+ USD/day for the pair. My 260X 2GB cards, show $3.50-ish USD/day. Half of that is probably the electricity consumption cost a day.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011

Glad to see another member mining via nicehash!! It's a great program and since they have free and instant transfers to coinbase, it makes for a really nice and quick service. The best part about using a gaming machine to do it, is that you obviously already have the hardware. Your best bet would be to save up that 160 a month if you can and then buy another video card. Even if you go with something cheap like a used gtx 1060, it will still earn you an extra 120 a month. If you can find a used gtx 1060, 1070 or 1080 from a friend or forum member that is reasonably priced it's a great buy. That way you can game on your 1080ti when you want to and the other card can run 24/7 just making you profit. It's a great feeling when suddenly you are making an extra 300 dollars a month out of no where :) Really glad to see that you are mining man. Keep up the good work and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
Glad to see another member mining via nicehash!! It's a great program and since they have free and instant transfers to coinbase, it makes for a really nice and quick service. The best part about using a gaming machine to do it, is that you obviously already have the hardware. Your best bet would be to save up that 160 a month if you can and then buy another video card. Even if you go with something cheap like a used gtx 1060, it will still earn you an extra 120 a month. If you can find a used gtx 1060, 1070 or 1080 from a friend or forum member that is reasonably priced it's a great buy. That way you can game on your 1080ti when you want to and the other card can run 24/7 just making you profit. It's a great feeling when suddenly you are making an extra 300 dollars a month out of no where :) Really glad to see that you are mining man. Keep up the good work and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks! I was thinking about getting another card, but decent cards are pretty hard to come by. I'm hoping prices will go back down soon.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks! I was thinking about getting another card, but decent cards are pretty hard to come by. I'm hoping prices will go back down soon.

Checking for used cards is one of the best routes to go, especially locally like on craigslist for example. A lot of people don't realize the actual price of the cards anymore. They think, oh I bought it for 550 a year ago, I will sell it for 350 or 400 now for example. Otherwise, you might want to hold off for the newest gtx 2080 from nvidia.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What price range are you looking at? When you can catch Newegg with fresh stock, they have 4GB RX 570 cards for $270 + $5, and 8GB RX 580 cards for $330 + $5. GTX 1070 ti for $520 + $5, but beware third parties, they have then for $950!

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
What price range are you looking at? When you can catch Newegg with fresh stock, they have 4GB RX 570 cards for $270 + $5, and 8GB RX 580 cards for $330 + $5. GTX 1070 ti for $520 + $5, but beware third parties, they have then for $950!
When will new egg get more cards?
So, 580s 8gb run 330?
Wow that's cheap

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
Strictly numerically, an updated nVidia card would more probably be: GTX 1180.

I am aware of how numbers increase lol. After 10, comes 11. However, 11 is an evil number and because of this it's extremely likely that we will not see a gtx 1180, but rather a 2080.

"We've reported last October that NVIDIA were preparing their next-gen GeForce GTX 2080 flagship graphics card, with a full GTX 2080 line up expected in 2018

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/57177/nvidia-launch-next-gen-volta-based-geforce-q3-2017/index.html"

Also read "

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
this whole mining rage is really pissing me off. and no i'm not jealous. I just want hardware prices to be reasonable. What the flying F.

Things are going to get better here shortly. With nvidia releasing volta gpu's soon and with the market falling, less and less people will be interested in mining. Granted its still extremely profitable, even if it drops lower, but still. I half blame the vendors for marking up the pricing so much above msrp, but at the same time I can't blame them either. If people are willing to pay 100-200 over msrp, so be it, let them and let the companies enjoy the profits.

You can always buy used hardware, at least in my area there are a lot of used cards going for extremely reasonable prices. As long as nvidia doesn't jack up the price drastically on the 2080s I will be happy. Goal is to grab one on launch day, as long as they are coming out soon. I am hoping for a march/april release on them. Hopefully when they launch, the other cards will get discounted and gamers can get those and miners will want the more profitable volta cards.

Reactions: evident

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
Things are going to get better here shortly. With nvidia releasing volta gpu's soon and with the market falling, less and less people will be interested in mining. Granted its still extremely profitable, even if it drops lower, but still. I half blame the vendors for marking up the pricing so much above msrp, but at the same time I can't blame them either. If people are willing to pay 100-200 over msrp, so be it, let them and let the companies enjoy the profits.

You can always buy used hardware, at least in my area there are a lot of used cards going for extremely reasonable prices. As long as nvidia doesn't jack up the price drastically on the 2080s I will be happy. Goal is to grab one on launch day, as long as they are coming out soon. I am hoping for a march/april release on them. Hopefully when they launch, the other cards will get discounted and gamers can get those and miners will want the more profitable volta cards.
In the spring time they will release the new nvidia GPU's