Hammer about to fall on Louis C.K.?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
What is worse, asking a woman for sex or asking to masturbate in front of them?

Honestly I have spent much of my life positively BEGGING for sex. I have to go through all sorts of hoops to get sex out of my wife; ie: taking out the trash, giving back rubs, painting the bedroom, etc... Lets face it, men seem to NEED sex much more than women seem to want it.

Asking is not the problem. Masturbating in front of consenting women is not a problem. Doing it in front of them without proper consent (assuming it is ok because of position) is a problem. In some of the examples, it appears he may have gotten half hearted/misunderstood approval before doing so. Hard to fault him for this...though given the act...it would seem getting more clear confirmation would be appropriate.

Allegations at this point and the deed is not in the same league as rape or unwarranted groping (“grabbing pussy”).

Reactions: Ken g6

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
It is EASY to fault him for this. That's not appropriate behavior.

It is easy to fault him for this. It's hard to look past that and see that he is getting help and may be truly remorseful for his actions, and that he's actually probably a decent guy. Some people just need help; don't ostracize them for that. From what we know, he asked permission before doing it, got it twice (maybe he misread their "yes"), and denied once (and apparently didn't do it). In one of his apologies, he claimed he "misread" women back then. Is he sick to ask women if he can masturbate in front of them? Of course. Does that make him deserving of the end of his career, being blacklisted, and shunned by his former fans? Absolutely not.

On the other hand, people like Roman Polanski and Harvey Weinstein are certainly deserving of your hate and condemnation. Sharpen your pitchforks and get your torches out for them.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm completely bummed. I have loved Louis CK's humor but if he is guilty he must pay the consequence.

I was just talking to my husband the other night about why these men just don't seem to be able to show restraint or seemingly keep it in their pants. What is that? Seriously, most women barely want to or won't watch their significant other masturbate. Keep it private gentlemen. For the most part keep it a solo act unless a women is [strangely] asking to watch. Masturbation is natural of course but KEEP IT SOLO! Go ahead and make the assumption no one wants to watch it, it's the safest bet.

Geezuz Louis! Yuck!

Is it really masturbation if you are doing it with someone?

I am sure with most of these men it is an escalation have they keep getting away with it.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
There's a continuum of inappropriate sexual behavior but in the weeks since Weinstein became a household name the continuum of consequence seems to have been collapsed to 'destroy their life and career - Oh and jail would be lovely too.'

This is dangerous IMO. Most of us probably have nothing to fear from this but you SHOULD be afraid of a society that is incapable or simply unwilling to correctly calibrate punishment to fit situations.

Viper GTS

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
@J.Wilkins , would it surprise you to learn that @Perknose is a woman whose politics are quite possibly more liberal than your own?

Given that I know his full name and that have seen the pictures he posted with his nieces... Yes, that would surprise me a great deal unless he worked at a circus as the bearded lady.

I also don't think someone who doesn't get the concept of liberalism (you clearly do not) should try to define anything as "more liberal" when it comes to a guy locking unwilling participants in his room while performing a sexual act they are forced to witness.

I do believe that perhaps Perkins didn't actually consider his words and that me calling him out on it should have resulted in him considering that perchance he was wrong but he went into the defensive and quite frankly... I'm surprised I'm still able to access my account.

That counts in his favour though, he's certainly treating this in a professional way and with me that counts.

Mod callout.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Asking is not the problem. Masturbating in front of consenting women is not a problem. Doing it in front of them without proper consent (assuming it is ok because of position) is a problem. In some of the examples, it appears he may have gotten half hearted/misunderstood approval before doing so. Hard to fault him for this...though given the act...it would seem getting more clear confirmation would be appropriate.

Allegations at this point and the deed is not in the same league as rape or unwarranted groping (“grabbing pussy”).
I think that at this point my general position on this issue is Louis ck had a problem and seems to be dealing with it, but in the majority of the cases I don't understand the response of the ladies.

Last edited:

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
But it's ok to masturbate in front of a woman without consent if there is no position of power or any measures that restrict her ability to leave at anytime? I'm not saying his facetiously or cheekily but rather from a place of pure confusion as to what are normal sexual mores in America these days in the age of tinder and dick pics and wtc. I'm not saying louis ck is right (he clearly is in the wrong) but just saying its not that unusual when a guy and a girl are flirting for the guy to take his clothes off first (ie a shirt or something )

I'd say locking someone in that wants to leave amounts to kidnapping and forcing her to watch you masturbate is sexual assault.

To play pretend that this has anything to do with "flirting" either means that you are completely unaware of the concept of flirting and how it works.

Winking at the girl in a bar is flirting, this is sexual assault and kidnapping.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
But pussy grabbing can still make you President.

Grasping at straws.

I though Louis CK was a pretty funny comedian, one of the few I thought was actually funny. Guess we'll see what comes of this. A lot of this type of thing coming out of the woodwork lately.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I'd say locking someone in that wants to leave amounts to kidnapping and forcing her to watch you masturbate is sexual assault.

To play pretend that this has anything to do with "flirting" either means that you are completely unaware of the concept of flirting and how it works.

Winking at the girl in a bar is flirting, this is sexual assault and kidnapping.
Did he lock someone down? I didn't hear anything like that. There was a hotel room and a phone call...

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Grasping at straws.

I though Louis CK was a pretty funny comedian, one of the few I thought was actually funny. Guess we'll see what comes of this. A lot of this type of thing coming out of the woodwork lately.

No, he's right, the President of the US did what about 1000 immigrants did at a train station in Germany and the same people who condemned that and called it rape were perfectly fine with electing someone who does exactly that and brags about it as president.

You see, you are a bunch of fucking hypocrites and you might as well embrace it since you can never escape it.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
No, he's right, the President of the US did what about 1000 immigrants did at a train station in Germany and the same people who condemned that and called it rape were perfectly fine with electing someone who does exactly that and brags about it as president.

You see, you are a bunch of fucking hypocrites and you might as well embrace it since you can never escape it.

Also grasping at straws. Locker room talk.

Jan 25, 2011
Statement from Louis CK.

DOSpKGhXcAI1aiW.jpg:large

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Also grasping at straws. Locker room talk.

And the dozen+ women who says he actually did just what he says he loves to do? All liars, I presume? His ex wife that accused him of rape and his lawyer excusing it with "you can't rape your wife" all uninformed lawyer and ...

You know... there is something so severely wrong with your mind that it cannot be fixed... You simply cannot admit fault, well that's understandable, but don't forget that I'M the arrogant one.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Louis apologized (in kind of a funny Louis ck fashion). Seems pretty sincere. I dunno... I'm just very confused about so many things here.

Jan 25, 2011
Louis apologized (in kind of a funny Louis ck fashion). Seems pretty sincere. I dunno... I'm just very confused about so many things here.
Yeah first apology about sexual harassment allegations that I've seen that included the phrase "my dick" repeatedly.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
And the dozen+ women who says he actually did just what he says he loves to do? All liars, I presume? His ex wife that accused him of rape and his lawyer excusing it with "you can't rape your wife" all uninformed lawyer and ...

You know... there is something so severely wrong with your mind that it cannot be fixed... You simply cannot admit fault, well that's understandable, but don't forget that I'M the arrogant one.

So our choices were between a guy associated with inappropriate behavior around women (not proven) and a woman associated with corruption and a few mysterious murders (not proven). 'murica.

Jan 25, 2011
So our choices were between a guy associated with inappropriate behavior around women (not proven) and a woman associated with corruption and a few mysterious murders (not proven). 'murica.

Associated with murders? This is why you shouldn't be taken seriously. She has NEVER been associated with anything unless it was by right wing nutjobs. If you can't see the difference between people openly and publicly sharing their experiences and fucking lunatics trying to claim Hillary is killing people there's no point discussing anything further with you.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
His apology seems to understand the complexity of things (retrospectively) and embrace all that is owed him, which is very contrary to any other statements I've seen made by public figures in the avalanche of sexual assault revelations we're having. He should be commended for that but not spared from just consequences for his actions.

Reactions: clamum

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Rare though it may be nowadays, it is possible for someone to make a mistake AND be actually, genuinely remorseful for it. You'd be forgiven for having an inherent mistrust for apologies nowadays.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017

You are suck a fucking imbecile, he admitted to doing it on tape and multiple women confirmed it but yeah... OMG they are lying and he didn't mean to say that at all...

Of course, buh HILLARY is the only defence you have... how fucking unexpected. It's like the lot of you were one group of autistics repeating the same mantra over and over and over again to satisfy your OCD.

Churchill was right, you ARE the best argument against democracy.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Where does it say he "locked" any of them in a room with him? It doesn't say that in the NYT piece. And it doesn't make any sense because generally speaking, you can't lock someone in a room as locking prevents entry not exit. Did I miss something in one of the linked stories?