[Guru3D] Galaxytech GeForce GTX 780 Ti Spec Sheet Leaks

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
at some point i have to agree but still its a heavily modified card vs. ref card. its obvious the 290x wont stay this way.
its not heavily modified at all. its basically a stock 780 with a non reference cooler.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
The GTX 780 consumes 350-400W once you get into real overclocking on it. The 290X just ships out of the box closer to its threshold, but it's also 10% faster.

The power consumption is not the big deal anyways, but it does relate to what matters, and that's how does the card sounds and behave in your system. Who cares about another $1 a month in power if the card is not obnoxious to you when you run it.

If this rumoured 780ti black edition is not a rumour, I'll wager that card is going to guzzle power down like nobody's business too. Once you push any card hard air cooling just doesn't cut it without robust coolers. 780 classified cards with the ACX cooler are useless once you start to really overclock them hard with voltage and that cooler is known to perform better than the nvidia reference design for the 780.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
The GTX 780 consumes 350-400W once you get into real overclocking on it. The 290X just ships out of the box closer to its threshold, but it's also 10% faster.

The power consumption is not the big deal anyways, but it does relate to what matters, and that's how does the card sounds and behave in your system. Who cares about another $1 a month in power if the card is not obnoxious to you when you run it.

If this rumoured 780ti black edition is not a rumour, I'll wager that card is going to guzzle power down like nobody's business too. Once you push any card hard air cooling just doesn't cut it without robust coolers. 780 classified cards with the ACX cooler are useless once you start to really overclock them hard with voltage and that cooler is known to perform better than the nvidia reference design for the 780.

:thumbsup:

Good common sense.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

So power consumption for you is a non issue?

Slomo4shO

Nov 17, 2008
no I just made it up. :rolleyes:

this has been posted MANY MANY times. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X/31.html

You love to read between the lines don't you?

voltagetuning.jpg

AMD's Radeon R9 290X shows fantastic clock scaling with GPU voltage, better than any GPU I've previously reviewed. The clocks do not show any signs of diminishing returns, which leads me to believe that the GPU could clock even higher with more voltage and cooling.

AMD's stock cooler is completely overwhelmed with the heat output of the card during voltage tweaking, though. Even at 100%, it could barely keep the card from overheating and was noisier than any cooler I've ever experienced. My neighbors actually complained, asking why I used power tools that late at night.

Power draw also increases immensely, going from just above 400 W for the whole system to around 650 W! To conclude, I expect extreme overlclockers with access to liquid nitrogen to love this card. Everyone else will probably find voltage tuning beyond +0.05 V to be too hot and too noisy.

Straight from that review. Maybe you missed that part? Again, power draw increases when voltage is increased with all GPUs. The 290X actually scales really well with voltage. Also, the increase in the graph was 9% starting from 1090MHz which is not stock clocks... Again, reading comprehension goes a long way.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
You love to read between the lines don't you?

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X/images/voltagetuning.jpg

Straight from that review. Maybe you missed that part? Again, power draw increases when voltage is increased with all GPUs. The 290X actually scales really well with voltage. Also, the increase in the graph was 9% starting from 1090MHz which is not stock clocks... Again, reading comprehension goes a long way.
lol YOU are the one with reading comprehension issues. lets make this real simple for you again. power consumption went up by an insane 225 watts from that small oc that resulted in 7% performance increase.

next, the SC 780, which beats the Titan slightly therefore matches the 290x still has MORE overclocking headroom left than the 290x. the oced 290x gained 7% performance for those additional 225 watts that were added. the SC gained an additional 11% performance and still uses less power than the stock 290x.

if that is still too confusing for you that then let me explain again the SC 780 when oced is FASTER than the 290x when oced and uses over 225 watts less in the process.

Last edited:

caswow

Sep 18, 2013
lol YOU are the one with reading comprehension issues. lets make this real simple for you again. power consumption went up by an insane 225 watts from that small oc that resulted in 7% performance increase.

next, the SC 780, which beats the Titan slightly therefore matches the 290x still has MORE overclocking headroom left than the 290x. the oced 290x gained 7% performance for those additional 225 watts that were added. the SC gained an additional 11% performance and still uses less power than the stock 290x.

if that is still too confusing for you that then let me explain again the SC 780 when oced is FASTER than the 290x when oced and uses over 225 watts less in the process.

you are sill comparing a modified card to a ref cooled card.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
you are sill comparing a modified card to a ref cooled card.
so you keep moving the goalposts? modified how. its basically stock expect for better binned cores and a better cooler. it is whats available right now and can be directly compared. this is not some theatrical nonsense but real world comparisons.

you people are deranged if you think that just a better cooler is going to take care of power consumption. a cooler itself will have almost no impact on that. hell if anything a non reference cooler could use a couple watts more power with all other things equal.

Personal attacks are not allowed. Please use better language. -Moderator Shmee

Last edited by a moderator:

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008

Clearly your 780 purchase needs justification, however it's not a fair comparison. :whiste:

Also, they are adjusting voltages on the 290x which is basic physics and means power consumption goes up dramatically while the neutered 780 is sitting on stock voltages. :colbert:

Slomo4shO

Nov 17, 2008
lol YOU are the one with reading comprehension issues. lets make this real simple for you again. power consumption went up by an insane 225 watts from that small oc.

You do realize this is similar to every other GPU/CPU overclock out there that requires increased voltages. My 4770K will consume over 2x the power at 5GHz in comparison stock voltages. That fact that the reviewer actually specified that the GPU actually scales "better than any GPU I've previously reviewed" and you are still unable to comprehend what voltage scaling implies means you have a very poor understanding of what message that review was portraying :whiste:

It is for me. I'm looking forward to plastering Kill-a-Watt numbers all over the forums once I have voltage control on my card.
Should load the Asus bios to unlock the voltages :)

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Clearly your 780 purchase needs justification, however it's not a fair comparison. :whiste:

Also, they are adjusting voltages on the 290x which is basic physics and means power consumption goes up dramatically while the neutered 780 is sitting on stock voltages. :colbert:
it has NOTHING to do with my purchase at all. and stop making excuses as that changes nothing. all I said was that power consumption goes through the roof when ocing the 290x and thats a fact.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
You do realize this is similar to every other GPU/CPU overclock out there that requires increased voltages. My 4770K will consume over 2x the power at 5GHz in comparison stock voltages. That fact that the reviewer actually specified that the GPU actually scales "better than any GPU I've previously reviewed" and you are still unable to comprehend what voltage scaling implies means you have a very poor understanding of what message that review was portraying :whiste:

Should load the Asus bios to unlock the voltages :)
no its not, genius. the 780 does not use insane amounts of additional power to pick up 7% more performance. AGAIN even the factory oced 780 cards have more ocing headroom left without anywhere near that much additional power consumption.

lol you guys are clowns defending this crap. I guess its just to hard to accept that a 780 is just as fast the 290x(at 2560 and below) when both are oced and makes less, heat, less noise and vastly less power is needed.

Infraction issued for personal attack. Take three days off to reflect on how to debate other forums members respectfully here.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
it has NOTHING to do with my purchase at all. and stop making excuses as that changes nothing. all I said was that power consumption goes through the roof when ocing the 290x and thats a fact.

Well, you leave out the overvolting part, which is the primary cause (of 200w). :thumbsup:

It doesn't matter which component it is, once you start adding volts you're using way more power.

Even increasing the fan to 90% leaf blower mode uses more juice. Aftermarket cards are going to be more efficient, I don't know how much but comparing the ACX to reference is questionable.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/S/F/406671/original/04-Power-Consumption-06-Peak.png

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
no its not, genius. the 780 does not use insane amounts of additional power to pick up 7% more performance. AGAIN even the factory oced 780 cards have more ocing headroom left without anywhere near that much additional power consumption.

lol you guys are clowns defending this crap. I guess its just to hard to accept that a 780 is just as fast the 290x(at 2560 and below) when both are oced and makes less, heat, less noise and vastly less power is needed.

We aren't defending the reference 290x we are stating that aftermarket cooled 290x's will use less power and maintain higher clocks...

The main reason the 780 uses less power is likely because of the better cooler.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
lol power consumption has nothing to do with the cooler
It certainly does. Some AIB cooling solutions, ie Gigabyte windforce, even with 3 fans, due to their lightness and lower speeds, can bring power usage down by up to 20 watts vs reference coolers of both AMD/Nvidia.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Well, you leave out the overvolting part, which is the primary cause (of 200w). :thumbsup:

It doesn't matter which component it is, once you start adding volts you're using way more power.

Even increasing the fan to 90% leaf blower mode uses more juice. Aftermarket cards are going to be more efficient, I don't know how much but comparing the ACX to reference is questionable.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/S/F/406671/original/04-Power-Consumption-06-Peak.png
ok well its not my problem the 290x has to raise the voltage just to pick up 7% performance increase.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
My Titan pulls an extra 150W going from 1.18V 1176/7000 (450W from wall) to 1320/7000 1.32V overclocked (600W from wall). With that said, I don't know what kinds of clocks (and power usage) a 290X would need to trade blows with a Titan clocked at 1320/7000.

Also, the overclocked 3770K + second monitor is inflating my from the wall usage a little bit.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
A message to all members, please remember the board rules and avoid name calling and personal attacks.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
It certainly does. Some AIB cooling solutions, ie Gigabyte windforce, even with 3 fans, due to their lightness and lower speeds, can bring power usage down by up to 20 watts vs reference coolers of both AMD/Nvidia.
please show where a cooler alone with all else being equal can make a card use noticeably less power.