GTX 980Ti finally launched - MSRP $649 - Reviews

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
My preferred brand or 78% of the publics preferred brand?
Facts are facts.

Those are facts. However, unless I missed something, market share is a measure of how many products were bought, not the quality of those products.

Did I miss something, was the species abducted in the night by rogue economists and replaced by omniscient perfectly rational actors?

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Quality>quantity did you not learn that way back when? Saying a product is the best because it sells in the largest numbers is about the poorest qualifier there is.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
If that situation had ever existed in the history of graphics cards, maybe but very likely not. There's plenty of people out there who simply don't have $500 to spend and definitely don't considering that we live in reality where you're lucky to be paying twice the price for 170% of the performance.

Of course there are people who can't spend over a certain amount of money for a graphics card. That doesn't mean they have spend any money at all, nor does it stop them from doing something else, like getting a console.

Next you're somehow trying to say that the Fury pushing the 980 down and eventually pushing the 390s down is evidence that the 980 damaged the Fury's positioning? How in the world is a card being priced to cause the market to shift to reflect it a sign that the card is anything but well priced? It seems you consider scoring points on the red team to be a valid refutation that the Fury is well positioned, even when it includes a tacit admission that the Fury is well positioned!

My argument flew over your head but at least Happy Medium picked up on what I was saying immediately. I'll just give up trying to explain simple economics with respect to BOM.

You should try being actually capable of a coherent argument before being smug.

The pot will call the kettle black.

Good on you for putting your money where your mouth is and supporting a tautological argument.

You shouldn't be cheering how good your preferred brand is at overcharging its customers.

Sour grapes. It's a tough life to live when always bitter. Hey I have an idea, lets get back on topic.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
Sour grapes. It's a tough life to live when always bitter. Hey I have an idea, lets get back on topic.

Right, so where were we, the 980 Ti, and not cards in other segments? Cool, I don't have to move. It'll be interesting seeing how the 980 Ti does against its competition.

My argument flew over your head but at least Happy Medium picked up on what I was saying immediately. I'll just give up trying to explain simple economics with respect to BOM.

Your argument was trying to counter an assertion that the 390(X) positioning is irrelevant to whether the Fury is positioned well and that the Fury is positioned well. Your argument was that Fury is positioned well enough to move the market and hurt the 390(X). I'm sorry I was less gracious than I should have been, but I accept your concession.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have water blocks on the way. I'll clock the piss out of them for the good of the forums. I might fry my cards with water. That would suck.

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
I got my 980 Ti in today (EVGA ACX model). Started overclocking it right away and had no problems hitting 1400 MHz without overvolting in The Witcher 3. Super quiet, can't even hear the fans while I am gaming.

Very happy!

bepo

Jul 29, 2013
Now that cards have been out a few weeks, any consensus on the best card to get for moderate overclocking? Originally I was really interested in the EVGA hybrid but it looks like the ACX cooler is really solid and $80 less (not to mention in stock :p). Are there any others that are worth considering?

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
anyone got reviews for the evga water cooled hybrid card? only one I can google is some nobody on youtube but no real benchmarks/reviews.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
anyone got reviews for the evga water cooled hybrid card? only one I can google is some nobody on youtube but no real benchmarks/reviews.

edit , did you mean the ti? sorry

ANd this guy overclocked his to 1600mhz. got about 10 min into video. His temps were at 51c and power was only upped to 107%.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=20&v=98P_NjK3ft8

review.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...iews/69434-evga-gtx-980-hybrid-review-10.html

EVGA-HYBRID-55.jpg

Last edited:

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
I have water blocks on the way. I'll clock the piss out of them for the good of the forums. I might fry my cards with water. That would suck.

Nah, that's pretty hard to do on a full-cover waterblock. You'll just hit instability way before thermal limits. Besides, I think the most these reference cards can do is 1.275 volts. Pretty 'safe' for waterblocks because you're also cooling the VRM.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006

HOLY COW moonbogg, you are really turning into a serious custom water cooling junkie! HAHA.

What will really blow your mind will be what temps your 980TIs will run at maxed out when under full water. You will be pleasantly surprised.

I also agree with iiiankiii about reaching instability way before hitting thermal caps.

Just take your time and watch for instability.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
edit , did you mean the ti? sorry

ANd this guy overclocked his to 1600mhz. got about 10 min into video. His temps were at 51c and power was only upped to 107%.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=20&v=98P_NjK3ft8

review.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...iews/69434-evga-gtx-980-hybrid-review-10.html

EVGA-HYBRID-55.jpg
yea, the ti version. I kinda want to match it vs the fury x when it's benchmarks are available. damn, it is gonna be damn hard looking for the review I want again.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
TPU has reviewed the GigaByte GTX980TI G1 Gaming:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/

that's a beast of a card, but also much higher power consumption at load. in many respects, it really puts the TitanX to shame.

Does it? In that review (correct me if I'm wrong, please), this factory overclocked card (the gpu, not memory for some reason) is compared against a non-factory overclocked TitanX. The Ti has some great overclocking headroom but for an apples to apples comparison overclocked should be compared with overclocked. The stocked TitanX is 89% as fast as this factory overclocked card - TitanX should be taking the lead with its overclocking (as well it should given its higher price).

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So, what's the downside of OCing the GPU? I mean, does it kill the card or something? What I'm saying is, I have a good feel for how far to push a CPU and still feel comfortable, but I have no idea how far to push a GPU. Increase voltage and just go for 1500? That won't wreck the thing?

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
So, what's the downside of OCing the GPU? I mean, does it kill the card or something? What I'm saying is, I have a good feel for how far to push a CPU and still feel comfortable, but I have no idea how far to push a GPU. Increase voltage and just go for 1500? That won't wreck the thing?

As long as you can keep it cool and are not using insane amounts of voltage, impossible to do on nvidia cards, you won't break anything.

The BIOS mods for titan x and 980ti cards allow up to 1.28V. That reference cooler is useless if you want to use a mod like that and you'll probably watch the card running at 90C+ with 100% wind turbine fan noise. If you're watercooling your GPU it will be sitting at 40C at 99% load and it's a non issue.

The BIOS mods to up voltage and TDP on the GM200 cards all have to disable the boost/variable voltage function to work. So when gaming you will see your card always at the max voltage, and apart from very light games, always at the full clock rate. I would only do this with watercooling. The cards still downclock/volt at idle on your desktop and like I said if you're running something like WoW or an old DX9 game they will still downclock/volt because the GPU load is so low.

I've run several nvidia cards like this and haven't killed any of them. This is why I buy EVGA cards, because they allow overclocking, watercooling and BIOS modding. Even if something goes wrong you can RMA them. The only thing that isn't covered is a leak burning the card or if you physically damage it when changing coolers, installing the card etc.

Last edited:

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Pretty much the same rules apply to GPU's as CPU's. Keep the temps in check and don't go crazy with the voltage. Pretty much goes for everything. CPU/GPU/RAM etc

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I like the idea of the GPUs using their variable voltage/variable clockrate functions, just like the CPU does. So if I use the max available voltage on a program like precision X while using stock bios, I should be safe under water? I've never really OC'd my cards so I'm entering very new territory here. It sounds like the available voltage out of the box should be safe to max out with good cooling from what you guys are saying. I like the sound of that.
I tested a simple OC of +200mhz core and went from mid 60's to low 80's in Crysis 3, so that's something. Then I turned off AA and FPS shot up to almost 100. I think 1400+ would be a nice place to settle, but with a bios mod I think you could hit 1500 solid on these things. Just a guess though.

FxSoap

Jan 25, 2005

don't GPU's burn up pretty quick?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I chose the GTX 970 MSI card versus spending more for the 980. I held off buying a second card for two months.

I was influenced to go forward with purchasing the second card by a benchmark review I'd seen, wherein dual SLI GTX 970s came in with something like 80+% of dual SLI 980 performance.

I don't know how overclocking would affect that equation, and certainly the comparison would change again to compare OC'd 970s x2 against OC'd 980's x2.

What I can say is that I'm satisfied with the OC'ing potential for the 970s in SLI, and the stress-load temperatures fall below 78C @ 77F room-ambient. I could probably take it a little higher, to the point of bumping up against the power limit. It doesn't seem worth the trouble.

I also cannot get myself into the "4K or Die" mode of thinking about this. Nor can I see how a game-software manufacturer is going to sell games that only run on the most expensive hardware and resolution settings. So I'm not tailoring my hardware choices according to games I might not play anyway. It's all a balance between performance, expense, want and need.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
I sold my Gigabyte reference card and picked up the EVGA ACX 2.0+ SC+ with backplate instead since I no longer intend to go SLI (Overclocked this card is crazy fast) and holy crap this card is dead silent. I can't hear it over my case fans even overclocked!

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I chose the GTX 970 MSI card versus spending more for the 980. I held off buying a second card for two months.

I was influenced to go forward with purchasing the second card by a benchmark review I'd seen, wherein dual SLI GTX 970s came in with something like 80+% of dual SLI 980 performance.

I don't know how overclocking would affect that equation, and certainly the comparison would change again to compare OC'd 970s x2 against OC'd 980's x2.

What I can say is that I'm satisfied with the OC'ing potential for the 970s in SLI, and the stress-load temperatures fall below 78C @ 77F room-ambient. I could probably take it a little higher, to the point of bumping up against the power limit. It doesn't seem worth the trouble.

I also cannot get myself into the "4K or Die" mode of thinking about this. Nor can I see how a game-software manufacturer is going to sell games that only run on the most expensive hardware and resolution settings. So I'm not tailoring my hardware choices according to games I might not play anyway. It's all a balance between performance, expense, want and need.

Yep you're right it's a balancing act. I think my SLI 970s are fine and I don't think there's a setup out there currently that would satisfy me at 4k. I like to put all the graphics options to the max in my games and for many titles at 4k this wouldn't be very playable. Normally I play hooked up to a TV anymore and I use DSR to go up to 1440p depending on the demands of the game. If the 980ti was out at the time I purchased my 970s things may have been different for me. Can't go back now.