GOP ACA Replacement Imminent....Predictions

Page 87 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What will GOP ACA Replacement look like?

• It won't happen, they won't pass either repeal or replacement

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • It won't happen, they will only repeal and not replace

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Replacement will look mostly like ACA, except worse

Votes: 45 44.6%
  • Replacement will look mostly like ACA, except better

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Replacement will look completely different from ACA, except worse

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Replacement will look completely different from ACA, except better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You're giving him credit for basically being derailed into asking completely stupid question that was clearly partisan hackery? That he put his own questions aside to be led into that just because he was such a friend to Graham? WTF?

The guy literally said "I fucked up". What more do you want? He could have taken the Spicer approach to the covfefe incident and said "People knew what I meant". That is at least some level of humility and awareness that he could have blown off. I don't write blank check passes for isolated moments of humanity, but you have to at least respect them when they happen.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I really cannot understand why the Repub "repeal and replace health care plan" is still, to this very day, being called just that when it has absolutely nothing to do with providing AFFORDABLE health care for those folks that really need for it to be that way.

This Repub plot to totally get rid of gov't sponsored health care so the insurance companies and the health care industry can keep their profits on a nice arc up the charts won't be known for those years that the Repubs have delayed its effects, so the Dems really owe it to themselves to make sure that the Repub's end game is known by all of those who are going to feel the full disastrous effects of what the Repubs have in store for them and they need to be reached as soon as possible.

Their message should start with: "This is what Trump and the Repub led legislature has in store for you...."

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I'll just say don't go popping any champagne corks yet. These awful bastards will keep going at it until they find someway of repealing.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I'll just say don't go popping any champagne corks yet. These awful bastards will keep going at it until they find someway of repealing.

The next thing is tax reform cuts. They will get that. Hell, some of the Dems will go along with it. The donors never leave empty handed. Obamacare repeal is just the appetizer.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
It's just for Trump, repubs didn't seem to care when it was last defeated, only when Trump started trolling them did they try again.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The next thing is tax reform cuts. They will get that. Hell, some of the Dems will go along with it. The donors never leave empty handed. Obamacare repeal is just the appetizer.

Why the Hell would Dems go along with it? Their donor base isn't trying to get their pound of flesh that they've bought & paid for like Repub donors have. If anything, Dems will dance with glee should the big money behind the Repub Party withhold their benevolence.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
IF this latest sham of an attempt at passing a "health care bill" goes the way of the last two attempts, then what? What are the Repubs going to do with Obamacare except sabotage the shit out of it in the hopes it proves that the outright lies they were whining and wailing about it are in fact true.

And while they're busy dismantling the ACA piece by piece through every underhanded,devious, disingenuous slick backstabbing juggling trick they can think of, as a result they're also going to dis-enroll those tens of millions of folks that they would've had if their third try succeeded. Either way, they get what they want except they're not going to get that fat juicy tax cut for themselves and the very wealthy that they've been salivating over. But who knows, such is their skill at budgetary three card monte, they could actually get at least some of what they wanted through repeal/replace in some other sleazy way.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I don't know if anybody noticed or not during the great yam's speech last night that he said he was given a list of 10 GOP senators who are definitely no on G-C. I'm thinking there are a bunch who are praying this thing never gets up for a vote.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Oh I agree. I still think Paul will do a 180 at the last minute, unless there are 3 GOP senators casting no votes, making him a different kind of hero to different folks.

Besides, so much damage has been already wrought in the insurance market due to this never-ending zombie carnival ride the nation is subject to by the GOP. We can only take a brief sigh of relief.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Oh I agree. I still think Paul will do a 180 at the last minute, unless there are 3 GOP senators casting no votes, making him a different kind of hero to different folks.

Besides, so much damage has been already wrought in the insurance market due to this never-ending zombie carnival ride the nation is subject to by the GOP. We can only take a brief sigh of relief.

McCain, Murkowski, and Collins are no votes.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Are you sure about that? I thought only Paul and McCain are on record as "no" votes. (which, I suppose, is subject to change)

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
So the GOP has to apologize to their masters over this pull the wool over their eyes health care reform.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Collins went on CNN this morning all all but said she was a no vote. "Difficult for me to envision a scenario where I would end up voting for"

Rand Paul says he could be convinced if they strip out the block grants....the core component of the entire plan. lol at his trolling

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Aaaannnd there is a new version of G-C circulating on the Hill with suspect math showing funding bumps for Alaska, Maine, and Arizona.

Though some of the early analysis indicates huge fundamental policy changes are proposed (no state waivers needed, multiple risk pools, etc). How the hell they excpect that to survive the parliamentarian I have no idea.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Polling on G-C not so great:

Fifty-two percent of respondents to the CBS poll released Monday morning said they disapprove of the repeal-and-replace legislation authored by Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Bill Cassidy (R-La.). Just 20 percent of those polled said they approve of Republican efforts overall to undo former President Barack Obama’s signature healthcare law.

And ouch:

Just 7 percent responded that they believe the GOP proposal would help them.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/25/poll-graham-cassidy-obamacare-repeal-bill-243089

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The committee hearing that was going to be had today just melted down. Hatch, after publicly doubting that the plan will pass, ordered the police to remove protesters in wheelchairs from the room. He just gave up and gaveled the hearing into recess for now.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Aaaannnd there is a new version of G-C circulating on the Hill with suspect math showing funding bumps for Alaska, Maine, and Arizona.

Though some of the early analysis indicates huge fundamental policy changes are proposed (no state waivers needed, multiple risk pools, etc). How the hell they excpect that to survive the parliamentarian I have no idea.

I think they're just posturing for their mega rich donors at his point.

"We tried! We worked so hard! We deserve a reward! Please don't send the Teahadis to collect our scalps!"

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think they're just posturing for their mega rich donors at his point.

"We tried! We worked so hard! We deserve a reward! Please don't send the Teahadis to collect our scalps!"

That is an argument I've heard. Have been some reports of the money spigots getting shut off by unhappy donors. Not just the super rich ones, lots of people who were with them from their early days.

The GOP seems headed for an inevitable reckoning, sooner or later.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
As a side note the GOP is furnishing the press with some crazy bad footage of the police literally dragging very handicapped people out of the capital. Not exactly going to be winning hearts and minds.

Reactions: UNCjigga

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
As a side note the GOP is furnishing the press with some crazy bad footage of the police literally dragging very handicapped people out of the capital. Not exactly going to be winning hearts and minds.

They don't give a shit anymore. Their craven base doesn't give a shit. Their donors don't give a shit. So they don't give a shit. That's where we are.

Reactions: Ns1 and UNCjigga

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Hey it isn't the GOP's fault those people aren't using their boot straps.

Reactions: UNCjigga